Disney Parks laying off 28,000 cast members

Status
Not open for further replies.
A smart company doesn't wait until their back is against the wall to take actions to survive long term. When the road gets tough, you start to take action, the tougher the road, the tougher and more frequent the actions. Disney Parks are facing some hard times right now. So is the movie division and the broadcast and cable channels. There are a lot of headwinds. So the actions have been pretty tough already. Laying off tens of thousands and borrowing billions.

But any smart business doesn't wait until the last second to do this. You don't draw every resource while leaving your head in the sand hoping things get better. You adapt to survive. Disney borrowed money and cut expenses. That provides a cushion. I expect they will continue to cut expenses as much as possible and, frankly, when possible to borrow as cheaply as possible. It's not so much to appease the street as it is to not be forced into a situation where they have fewer choices. The fact that Wall Street appreciates and rewards this kind of sound business thinking, as would any lender or owner, makes it easy to yell and scream about evil "Wall Street", but mostly what we see from Disney is simply sound strategy for a company that is facing significant issues.

Absolutely sucks for the employees. My heart goes out to them and I hope this is temporary. But that doesn't have me condemning Disney for doing the smart move.

The logical underpinning of your argument is false. You pretend that Disney and auto parts manufacturing is the same business model. An “entertainment” venue is slashing entertainment, in your argument the auto parts manufacturers can deteriorate the quality of the product then say “Wall Street” as cover. Hey I would love to pay more for the brakes on my car, even through they have much less stopping power than they used too because I’ve always like the brand... SAYS NOBODY. A smart investor realizes when they are strangling the golden goose.

The folks who can afford 10 days at the Poly can also afford a European river cruise. Keep trying to maximize profit this quarter by degradation of experience, they WILL CHOOSE SOMEWHERE ELSE. Simply because they can, Mickey waffles doesn’t add up to a 7k, please stop pretending it does.

I never said anything of the sort. I only meant that Disney uses their metrics to determine when something should change. They likely don't just do it to "cheap out" but when their research shows that that thing isn't popular or generating traffic or money. It's not like they don't replace it, they may just replace it in a different area or way. I just don't get eh argument that Disney doesn't care about the parks considering all of the investing they've been doing - yes it's investment in physical buildings and rides/attractions rather than the atmosphere entertainment, but their research likely shows that people prefer it that way. Yeah, some of us here on the DIS obviously don't, but we are a microcosm of fans and can't project our own opinions on everyone else. My point is that Disnye doesn't do it because they "don't care" or whatever, they just see it differently than we do.

I agree with you a 100%, you just can’t complain when it’s six flags in 10 years. If that is where the market takes us (due to lack of middle class buying power), then so be it.

I agree with you a 100%, you just can’t complain when it’s six flags in 10 years. If that is where the market takes us (due to lack of middle class buying power), then so be it.

With that mentality, it would have never become what it is today.

Well, people have been saying that WDW will go the way of Six Flags since the 90's - I just don't think it'll happen. These things ebb and flow, so even when they cut back, they do add other stuff, even if not right away.

Late to the party on this thread.

If there is no viable vaccine available early next year, Disney may be on life support for quite some time. Unfortunately the case members onsite get swept in the fact that hotels are shuttered, events are closed, hours are less, and attendance is down. Thinking it is going to be 2022 at the soonest for some of these jobs start to return.

People are not going to rush back to theaters and theme parks until they feel safe again, and they feel their jobs are secure again for discretionary spending. There is a next wave of fall out coming to the White Collar workers who have been working from home. Businesses are starting to realize they do not need so much head count and things go on as smooth as ever. These higher income folks are the target for Disney these days.

Going to be a bumpy ride for sure.

There is a next wave of fall out coming to the White Collar workers who have been working from home. Businesses are starting to realize they do not need so much head count and things go on as smooth as ever. These higher income folks are the target for Disney these days.
Can you expand on this? If people are working from home they're still working so I'm not sure how you reach a conclusion that less headcount is needed based on that. I could definitely see infrastructure headcount reductions (maintenance/janitorial) but those are mostly blue collar.

I think there might be a wave of white collar cuts coming as companies come to grips with how long this is going to go on, but that's a different root cause.

Can you expand on this? If people are working from home they're still working so I'm not sure how you reach a conclusion that less headcount is needed based on that. I could definitely see infrastructure headcount reductions (maintenance/janitorial) but those are mostly blue collar.

I think there might be a wave of white collar cuts coming as companies come to grips with how long this is going to go on, but that's a different root cause.
Yeah they will be related to lower business due to demand being down across a lot of industries. Little to do with working from home. Corporate real estate may have problems and related industries though.

Yes so back to the thread of being laid off...I received my notice today which actually states they expect these changes to be permanent. I'm very sad😢
Sorry to hear this. My DW received the email today as well.
Im so very sorry. Just note that if you're part of a union you can be recalled by seniority when positions become available again. I know this is very difficult, hugs for you both

my wife and i probably spend about 25% of our park time on rides, 50% on character based attractions/experiences and 25% dining on a typical day.

Can't help but feel that 50% characters experiences is essentially gone. I mean really, what's left? Just the roller coasters? I only like the midsized ones like mine train and slinky and my wife is disabled and can't do most of the attractions. We've been taking trips there together for two decades and for the first time i'm honestly wondering.... why should i go?

The people of Disney matter, and the people are all being systematically eliminated. This harsh austerity might help them minimize losses in the short term but they aren't going to return to the profits of 2019 and before by taking the entertainment out of the parks. in the long term they are just going to make it worse for themselves. but hey. they can show the investors they are doing more to protect their dividends.

Yes so back to the thread of being laid off...I received my notice today which actually states they expect these changes to be permanent. I'm very sad😢

Such a shame. Really sorry to hear that.

More entertainment staff now being sent the dreaded letters. Citizens of Hollywood and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

Really awful... this all better be temporary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!