• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney Princess Genealogy

TinkerbellinLouisian

I think I'm going on my 21st visit in 47 years...
SO! Lots of talk about the New Disney Princess Tiana....made me think about the genealogy of our Disney Princesses ......

Does anyone want to play? princess:

Here is what I have come up with:

Cinderella: French? (But her castle is German?!?!)
Snow White: German.... ??
Sleeping Beauty (Aurora): French
Mulan: Chinese
Pocahontas: Native American
Beauty: French.
Ariel: Sea :laughing:
Tiana: African American ? (Haven't seen the movie)
Jasmine: ???????:confused3

Can anyone help? or have another opinion?

Also- I am predominantly English...so I see that Disney has yet to produce a Native English Princess...I hope one is on the horizon soon...

Disney Princess Hugs,
Mary

You don't have a princess, per se, but you have Alice in Wonderland. She could grow up to marry a prince! ;) Remember, Cinderella, Belle, Tianna, and Mulan were not princesses to start out with either.

SO! Lots of talk about the New Disney Princess Tiana....made me think about the genealogy of our Disney Princesses ......

Does anyone want to play? princess:

Here is what I have come up with:

Cinderella: French? (But her castle is German?!?!)
Snow White: German.... ??
Sleeping Beauty (Aurora): French
Mulan: Chinese
Pocahontas: Native American
Beauty: French.
Ariel: Sea :laughing:
Tiana: African American ? (Haven't seen the movie)
Jasmine: ???????:confused3

Can anyone help? or have another opinion?

Also- I am predominantly English...so I see that Disney has yet to produce a Native English Princess...I hope one is on the horizon soon...

Disney Princess Hugs,
Mary

Ah! I love this! haha Jasmine I have always thought of as Arabian. I realize that's not truly pointing out a country, but in the movie we don't really get a true idea of what country they are in. It's just some "Arabian Nights..." lol

Remember, Cinderella, Belle, Tianna, and Mulan were not princesses to start out with either.

I really don't mean to start this argument... and I probably will start one... but I have to say it. Technically- Mulan neither starts out as a princess nor ends up a princess. She is the "Hero" of China. She is not born a princess and does not marry a prince. Don't get me wrong- I love her, love the movie. I just get a little crazy when she is referred to as a princess.
And I know now that I said that people will say "What about Pocahontas? She isn't a princess!" - Her father is the cheif of her people- So I am totally for her being a princess.

Okay - Very Good! Alice in Wonderland!

I think she USED to be a Disney Character....but is she still? (I seem to remember a character..when I was 5 or 10...that would have been 1970 or 1975)......

I agree - she could be an English Character if she exists..... Does she?

Anyone else?

Disney Hugs,
Mary

Okay - Very Good! Alice in Wonderland!

I think she USED to be a Disney Character....but is she still? (I seem to remember a character..when I was 5 or 10...that would have been 1970 or 1975)......

You can often find her at Disney World. We saw her wandering around muttering, "Now where is that White Rabbit? We're going to be late!" At least that's what she was doing last time I saw her. :goodvibes

I agree with Bella - Mulan isn't a princess, but she's very cool and I love her!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

You could also claim Wendy, and I think Jane, though not princesses, for English representatives.

I think Rapunzel will be German like Snow White as that's where the fairy tale originates, if Rapunzel becomes the 10th princess.

The Little Mermaid is a Danish tale, FWIW.

Tiana & Pocahontas are American.

Cinderella should be French, if Disney was pulling from the Perrault telling, but there are a lot of other versions as well.

Jasmine... I dunno. The character Aladdin marries in the story is Chinese (and Aladdin is Chinese himself). The origins of the tale appear to be Syrian. Jafar is Moroccan.

I going to move this over to the Community Board. Rich

I was talking about this the other night with my DH.

Alice is still around, she's in all of the parades and she does meet n' greets in both the MK and Epcot.

Pocahantas is the daughter of a Cheif and so I would consider her to be something like a Native American Princess and to me that still counts overall.

I really don't mean to start this argument... and I probably will start one... but I have to say it. Technically- Mulan neither starts out as a princess nor ends up a princess. She is the "Hero" of China. She is not born a princess and does not marry a prince. Don't get me wrong- I love her, love the movie. I just get a little crazy when she is referred to as a princess.
And I know now that I said that people will say "What about Pocahontas? She isn't a princess!" - Her father is the cheif of her people- So I am totally for her being a princess.

here is a quote from Wikipedia (yes, i know not the most reliable source, but still makes alot of sense!!) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princess

The princesses to be featured in the line were chosen from classic Disney films. The characters were not chosen specifically for their royal titles, but rather for how well they fit into what Disney executives deemed “the Princess mythology." Mulan is an example of this concept; she has no familial ties to royalty, but is still included in the character list. Tinker Bell was once included under the same principle before it was decided she was not suited for the "mythology."[5] She now stars in her own Disney franchise, the Disney Fairies.

princess:

I knew folks would say Mulan isn't a princess....But the reason I HAD to include her is because she is my DS17's Fav "Disney Princess" !:rotfl:

(DD1 is Beauty and DD2 is Aurora....mine is Beauty).

DS loves everything Asian! ;)

SO - Little Mermaid is Danish....pp said...

And so are we deciding that Jasmine is Arabian? or Chinese?

Thanks for clearing up Alice...I remembered seeing her...just with teens we don't frequent Fantasyland like we used to...

LOVE everyone's comments! Keep them coming ! :cloud9:

Disney Hugs,
Mary

what about Anastasia?? She was found to be a princess right?? I can't remember the movie, but I know she was.. like an orphan and then found to be a Russian(?) princess??

I think the easiest way to answer these questions is to look at how WDW represents them:

America - Tiana and Pocahontas
China - Mulan
Morocco - Jasmine
Germany - Snow White
France - Belle and Aurora
UK - Alice, Wendy and Mary Poppins
Atlantica - Ariel

the only one they do not necessarily match with a country is Cinderella, so that's the only one I don't know

Anastasia is not a Disney movie. Unless you're referring to Cinderella's evil step sister then she'd have the same origin as Cindy.

Well - I tried to look up Cinderella ...and it seemed to originate in France...

However I remember reading that her Castle at WDW was a replica of one in Germany...

That would make France the 'Most Represented' with the Disney Princesses...

I never realized that Snow White originated in Germany until I looked that up...

Hmm...Anastasia....I seem to remember she was a Russian Princess....

I hope you are right...Jasmine from Morocco...although I have never seen here there... (in Epcot)....I have a very old picture of her and I think it was taken at H&V in MGM about 10 years ago....

Hugs,
Mary

Anastasia isn't really Disney, it was produced by 20th Century Fox...so I don't think she counts, but she is a Russian Duchess, not a princess.

Giselle was supposed to be a princess, but we all know how that ended up and if she were I don't even know what country she would represent...America or Andalasia.

what about Anastasia?? She was found to be a princess right?? I can't remember the movie, but I know she was.. like an orphan and then found to be a Russian(?) princess??

Anastasia isnt a Disney princess. but yes :goodvibes She was a Russian Princess :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter