Disney Projects During Shutdown

If I were in charge of maintenance and upkeep at a place like WDW, something like this would be like the best gift I've ever received. Think of fall the work I could get done...

agreed. Just don’t schedule many people in the same area. Spread them out. The people on top of a ladder at the castle went really near other people.

agreed. Just don’t schedule many people in the same area. Spread them out. The people on top of a ladder at the castle went really near other people.

For many jobs you HAVE to have multiple people in the same area, so I'm sure that's part of the issue. At least for the construction end of things.

Yeah, there's got to be work that doesn't involve people being near each other. I think it's more of a money issue- Disney doesn't want to pay construction workers right now. It really stinks for them. I hope they at least have repainting and other in-house work done during these two weeks where they are paying the cm anyways, whether they work or not. May as well have a small amount come in and sanitize, paint, fix small things like loose railings, clean up the visible dirt on attractions, etc.

Good call by Disney.

Being at a distance severly decreases the odds but it's still not 0 of having the virus spread.

They still go to the same lunch rooms, touch the same doors, ect.

Disney is taking a good PR approach to this. It also reinforces to people stay home.

Yeah, there's got to be work that doesn't involve people being near each other. I think it's more of a money issue- Disney doesn't want to pay construction workers right now. It really stinks for them. I hope they at least have repainting and other in-house work done during these two weeks where they are paying the cm anyways, whether they work or not. May as well have a small amount come in and sanitize, paint, fix small things like loose railings, clean up the visible dirt on attractions, etc.

Agreed. construction work like tron, rat, and others are likely 3rd party people but disney does have a lot of maintenance people on staff. This would be a good time to do minor type things like fix broken animatronics or things that may be in the background and only noticialy by people who have ridden a ride 50 times but they can still be fixed now when it isn't worth shutting a ride down for. On a larger scale maybe this will help them improve realiability of RotR and other rides that break down often. I know haunted mansion has had issues lately so might be a time to work on that.

Even beyond construction projects there is a lot of cleanup and fixup work that can be done on existing rides and those are things were you could send 1 or 2 people to each ride and spread people out.

It has been reported that WDW has halted all construction:
https://www.kennythepirate.com/2020/03/17/walt-disney-world-construction-halted-due-to-coronavirus/https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/03/17/breaking-walt-disney-world-shuts-down-all.html
From KTP:
It puts Epcot’s transformation and the new Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind coaster on hold along with Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure ride.

RUMOR: Remy's Ratatouille Adventure may Open During Flower and Garden Festival

The refurbishment of Cinderella Castle will also be put on hold. Other big projects that were planned were a Disney Lakeside Lodge near Fort Wilderness, the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel and the TRON Lightcycle/Run roller coaster at the Magic Kingdom.

It has been reported that WDW has halted all construction:
https://www.kennythepirate.com/2020/03/17/walt-disney-world-construction-halted-due-to-coronavirus/https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/03/17/breaking-walt-disney-world-shuts-down-all.html
From KTP:
It puts Epcot’s transformation and the new Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind coaster on hold along with Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure ride.

RUMOR: Remy's Ratatouille Adventure may Open During Flower and Garden Festival's Ratatouille Adventure may Open During Flower and Garden Festival

The refurbishment of Cinderella Castle will also be put on hold. Other big projects that were planned were a Disney Lakeside Lodge near Fort Wilderness, the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel and the TRON Lightcycle/Run roller coaster at the Magic Kingdom.
Visions of the unfinished part of pop come to mind.

Please don't mention that. I had planed for my April trip to thank the Phonesians one more time. Likely won't be able to now.
You should have plenty of time...after the extended closure I’m sure the refurb will get postponed indefinitely (especially since the work hadn’t begun). They will want to save money wherever possible and lots of projects will be postoo bed or scrapped entirely.

You should have plenty of time...after the extended closure I’m sure the refurb will get postponed indefinitely (especially since the work hadn’t begun). They will want to save money wherever possible and lots of projects will be postoo bed or scrapped entirely.

Which is sad in its own way. Assuming my april trip is cancelled I won't be back until January. if they haven't even started SSE then ...

Agreed. construction work like tron, rat, and others are likely 3rd party people but disney does have a lot of maintenance people on staff. This would be a good time to do minor type things like fix broken animatronics or things that may be in the background and only noticialy by people who have ridden a ride 50 times but they can still be fixed now when it isn't worth shutting a ride down for. On a larger scale maybe this will help them improve realiability of RotR and other rides that break down often. I know haunted mansion has had issues lately so might be a time to work on that.

Even beyond construction projects there is a lot of cleanup and fixup work that can be done on existing rides and those are things were you could send 1 or 2 people to each ride and spread people out.
how do they get said parts to fix broken animatronics? most part are not made in house and those places are shut down

how do they get said parts to fix broken animatronics? most part are not made in house and those places are shut down
They have at least a few of each replacement parts in stock either backstage or off-site.

They have at least a few of each replacement parts in stock either backstage or off-site.
would not count on that based on what I see at small park I work at. think about how many parts you are talking about where are they going to store millions of pieces and that is just the small parts for every ride not the large ones. offsite would be closed at least where I live

would not count on that based on what I see at small park I work at. think about how many parts you are talking about where are they going to store millions of pieces and that is just the small parts for every ride not the large ones. offsite would be closed at least where I live
No Disney park is a "small park," so I don't think that comparison applies. They have many buildings backstage with storage for necessary maintenance tools and parts. Disney World especially has the infrastructure of a small city already.

Say what you will about maintenance in recent years, but Disney would be silly to rely only on shipping and transportation for materials crucial to operations.

No Disney park is a "small park," so I don't think that comparison applies. They have many buildings backstage with storage for necessary maintenance tools and parts. Disney World especially has the infrastructure of a small city already.

Say what you will about maintenance in recent years, but Disney would be silly to rely only on shipping and transportation for materials crucial to operations.
from what I have read Disney has closed down maintenance for some reason so I am not sure it is that much of a stress as maintenance was going on until governor closed everything here in Pa from what coworkers have told me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter