Disney Resort Availability Discounts Make Absolutely NO SENSE

peteykirch

DIS Veteran
I guess this is kind of a venting post, but just got off the phone after talking with Disney Guest Services for 45 minutes about room availability and discounts.

We have an upcoming split stay in September, where we are spending 2 nights at a deluxe resort, and 3 nights at the Pop Century. I booked the Pop Century room using the AP Discount, and oddly enough only got the discounted rate for 2 nights,and I'm paying "rack rate" for the last night, the dates are the 5th, 6th, 7th, and checking out on the 8th. However, when I try to add a day and make the stay from the 4th to the 8th EVERY SINGLE DAY now becomes discounted, thus giving me a 4 night stay for roughly 50 bucks more than I'm spending for 3 nights.

Guest Services told me that they are now requiring for some resorts that you have a MINIMUM 3 NIGHT STAY during the WEEK to be eligible for the Discount on WEEKENDS. What is disappointing is that there is nothing like that in the "Even More Details" breakdown of the offer.

Couple that with the fact, they tried to book the 4th-8th and then alter it where it would only be from the 5th to the 8th to see if the discount would "stick" it would say there was no availability in the entire resort. Despite the fact you already booked the 4th-8th so that means there is a room available during that length of stay. Guest Services even said that there were MULTIPLE AVAILABLE ROOMS FOR THAT DISCOUNT for the 4th-8th but then they disappear for the 5th-8th.

It's just disappointing that if we didn't have an earlier stay at another resort, our average room per night price would go from $137 a night for 3 nights to $120 a night for 4 nights.

I had my travel agent book an 8 night stay and then change it to the 2 nights I needed. The discount stuck, Guest services can override the 3 night stay rule.

I had my travel agent book an 8 night stay and then change it to the 2 nights I needed. The discount stuck, Guest services can override the 3 night stay rule.

I was told they were unable to do anything for me, and as much as I'd like to save the money I don't feel up to having to hope I get lucky with the right person who is able to override it for me or not.

I agree that this is highly frustrating. Sadly, though, from Disneys viewpoint it makes sense. They are trying to separate as much money from people as possible and by either making them stay longer or pay more per night, they are meeting that goal. Universal is starting something similar at their new resort opening next year.

It may be possible to get the discount to 'stick' if they get Guest services involved. However, this difficulty is part of the way Disney discounts work now, so you may need a sympathetic CM who might try to go 'above and beyond' to access circumventing the new rules. It is certainly frustrating. SO many changes make booking at WDW harder than it once was. It is no doubt better for their bottom line.

Good luck!

I agree that this is highly frustrating. Sadly, though, from Disneys viewpoint it makes sense. They are trying to separate as much money from people as possible and by either making them stay longer or pay more per night, they are meeting that goal. Universal is starting something similar at their new resort opening next year.

I get this for their regular GP discounts, but as an AP Holder there shouldn't be so many hidden restrictions to get discounts to be eligible.

The lady I was talking to was very sympathetic because she already saw I had a resort reservation for the beginning of the week, so I would already be there long enough to make the discount now eligible.

I was told they were unable to do anything for me, and as much as I'd like to save the money I don't feel up to having to hope I get lucky with the right person who is able to override it for me or not.

Sorry to hear that, it's so annoying!

I get this for their regular GP discounts, but as an AP Holder there shouldn't be so many hidden restrictions to get discounts to be eligible.

The lady I was talking to was very sympathetic because she already saw I had a resort reservation for the beginning of the week, so I would already be there long enough to make the discount now eligible.

Yeah I don't like it either. Sadly at WDW, it seems like they treat AP holders as bigger cash cows more than as special guests. The special entrances are the only real perk that I enjoy. Last year the only AP room discounts I could get were on water view, much higher initial price than standard view. Of course I helped prove their system right by paying for the water view, though, so the mouse won again there.

I guess this is kind of a venting post, but just got off the phone after talking with Disney Guest Services for 45 minutes about room availability and discounts.

We have an upcoming split stay in September, where we are spending 2 nights at a deluxe resort, and 3 nights at the Pop Century. I booked the Pop Century room using the AP Discount, and oddly enough only got the discounted rate for 2 nights,and I'm paying "rack rate" for the last night, the dates are the 5th, 6th, 7th, and checking out on the 8th. However, when I try to add a day and make the stay from the 4th to the 8th EVERY SINGLE DAY now becomes discounted, thus giving me a 4 night stay for roughly 50 bucks more than I'm spending for 3 nights.

Guest Services told me that they are now requiring for some resorts that you have a MINIMUM 3 NIGHT STAY during the WEEK to be eligible for the Discount on WEEKENDS. What is disappointing is that there is nothing like that in the "Even More Details" breakdown of the offer.

Couple that with the fact, they tried to book the 4th-8th and then alter it where it would only be from the 5th to the 8th to see if the discount would "stick" it would say there was no availability in the entire resort. Despite the fact you already booked the 4th-8th so that means there is a room available during that length of stay. Guest Services even said that there were MULTIPLE AVAILABLE ROOMS FOR THAT DISCOUNT for the 4th-8th but then they disappear for the 5th-8th.

It's just disappointing that if we didn't have an earlier stay at another resort, our average room per night price would go from $137 a night for 3 nights to $120 a night for 4 nights.
I don't believe them. They are pulling that answer out of their you know where. Know why? Because you can check single days and get the discount, even on the weekend days.
They have some quirky parameters set on their stays and even their booking agents haven't a clue what they are.
But others here are correct, if you can get the booking agents to pass your call on to GS they can override any restrictions and book the stay you want, as long as it's not truly booked solid. The hard part is sometimes it's like pulling hen's teeth to get the booking agent to pass you to GS agent.

I don't believe them. They are pulling that answer out of their you know where. Know why? Because you can check single days and get the discount, even on the weekend days.
They have some quirky parameters set on their stays and even their booking agents haven't a clue what they are.
But others here are correct, if you can get the booking agents to pass your call on to GS they can override any restrictions and book the stay you want, as long as it's not truly booked solid. The hard part is sometimes it's like pulling hen's teeth to get the booking agent to pass you to GS agent.

I just tried looking again, and booking just 1 night at the Pop on a Saturday and no discount is applied, it is complete rack rate. However if I change the dates to be checking in Saturday, and checking out Monday you get the discount.

Attachments

• 2018-06-14 (2).png
    2018-06-14 (2).png
    230.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2018-06-14 (3).png
    2018-06-14 (3).png
    173.4 KB · Views: 12
They are trying to separate as much money from people as possible
As is every single business, anywhere, any time.
because she already saw I had a resort reservation for the beginning of the week, so I would already be there long enough to make the discount now eligible.
The DIS used the term 'split stay '. Hotel companies don't. Each property is a separate entity. In order to benefit for a perk like this AP discount, the stay must be a single reservation at a single property.

As is every single business, anywhere, any time.

The DIS used the term 'split stay '. Hotel companies don't. Each property is a separate entity. In order to benefit for a perk like this AP discount, the stay must be a single reservation at a single property.

Still though, a 3 night stay should suffice enough to get the discount to stick for the length of stay.

Ever since they have made it more difficult to book the exact number of nights I really want at the discount I qualify for or non discount sometimes, I've had to resort..pardon the pun..to picking the first day I know I want to be there with a first nights deposit. I will add as many nights as it takes to get a room and discount, "sometimes by adding another night or 2 ..the rooms and discounts appear", then I make sure to go to the front desk at check in and tell them I can only stay for the number of nights I really want.
I've never had a problem only paying for the nights I wanted and at the original discount as long as I pay before check in...a couple times I didn't do that and they charged my card for the full stay... when I checked out early I still got the same rate and a refund for the nights not used with no penalty.
They don't expressly prohibit this in Terms and agreements..they use the wording "Length of stay requirements MAY apply".
For reasons we all know..they continue to maximize their rooms and throw up roadblocks.
Last year it was impossible for me to book a 4 consecutive night stay during one of my trips and I had to book each night separately to get a room, let alone a discount.
It never use to be this way, but since they raised the rates on Sundays and Thursdays along with with higher weekend rates it just get's harder to deal with and I'm sure it will get worse next year.

Last edited:
Ever since they have made it more difficult to book the exact number of nights I really want at the discount I qualify for or non discount sometimes, I've had to resort..pardon the pun..to picking the first day I know I want to be there with a first nights deposit. I will add as many nights as it takes to get a room and discount, "sometimes by adding another night or 2 ..the rooms and discounts appear", then I make sure to go to the front desk at check in and tell them I can only stay for the number of nights I really want.
I've never had a problem only paying for the nights I wanted and at the original discount as long as I pay before check in...a couple times I didn't do that and they charged my card for the full stay... when I checked out early I still got the same rate and a refund for the nights not used with no penalty.
They don't expressly prohibit this in Terms and agreements..they use the wording "Length of stay requirements MAY apply".
For reasons we all know..they continue to maximize their rooms and throw up roadblocks.
Last year it was impossible for me to book a 4 consecutive night stay during one of my trips and I had to book each night separately to get a room, let alone a discount.
It never use to be this way, but since they raised the rates on Sundays and Thursdays along with with higher weekend rates it just get's harder to deal with and I'm sure will get worse next year.

I love it. Stick it to them for sticking it to you.

It never use to be this way, but since they raised the rates on Sundays and Thursdays along with with higher weekend rates it just get's harder to deal with and I'm sure it will get worse next year.

I might be tempted to do that, but part of me would be nervous about having to eat the money if they don't let me leave early without penalty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter