Disney Resorts will start charging for parking?

Many are saying that they are going to stay off site, but then you have to factor in Park fee's. I think it is up to $25 a day. We have stayed off site at other resorts in Orlando and almost every resort has a parking fee. I am more shocked that Disney has not had resort parking fee's. The Swan/Dolphin has resort parking fee's since the beginning.

They do if you trade in via RCI, so perhaps that's what this poster meant? Either that or s/he meant dues?

Possible, I guess, though I didn't get that impression.

Many places off property do charge a resort fee, however, which covers use of "facilities", etc, often to the tune of $35 a day.

Disney, however, does not.

Many are saying that they are going to stay off site, but then you have to factor in Park fee's. I think it is up to $25 a day. We have stayed off site at other resorts in Orlando and almost every resort has a parking fee. I am more shocked that Disney has not had resort parking fee's. The Swan/Dolphin has resort parking fee's since the beginning.

Dolphin parking fee is $20 a day, in addition to the $25 a day resort fee.

The fact that Disney hasn't charged a resort fee or for parking means that they have been leaving money on the table compared to others and are trying to pick up on that now, I think.

We normally rent a car as we don't fly into Orlando due to cost but park it during the stay for convenience-it's rare for us to move it while on site. We then pack it up and drive back to the airport(usually Tampa).

With the parking charge, we will do a one way rental to Disney, dump the car to avoid parking onsite, then re-rent to get back to Tampa. Normally that is a few dollars cheaper anyway but there is a cost for convenience. $13-23 per day is above that cost.

If anything is needed offsite, for less than the parking fee, Uber/Lyft can get me there and back.

Dolphin parking fee is $20 a day, in addition to the $25 a day resort fee.

The fact that Disney hasn't charged a resort fee or for parking means that they have been leaving money on the table compared to others and are trying to pick up on that now, I think.

I know that other resorts charge for parking, but in my mind the “free parking” at the Disney resorts has been offered as an alternative to the free Magical Express. So, you feel like even though you drove you are still receiving a comparable perk for staying onsite.

Also, I don’t really think it was ever “free”. It was just included in the price of the room. We have stayed at the Dolphin and even when adding in the resort and parking fees it was the same price per night as a Disney moderate (but has the location of a Disney deluxe).

I know that other resorts charge for parking, but in my mind the “free parking” at the Disney resorts has been offered as an alternative to the free Magical Express. So, you feel like even though you drove you are still receiving a comparable perk for staying onsite.

Also, I don’t really think it was ever “free”. It was just included in the price of the room. We have stayed at the Dolphin and even when adding in the resort and parking fees it was the same price per night as a Disney moderate (but has the location of a Disney deluxe).

I don't think that anything has ever been "free" at Disney. When Michael Eisner said, "to make money is our only objective", I took him at his word. I think this is a revenue stream they want to tap and feel they can do it.

And actually given what you said, now that Disney has started charging for guests staying at resorts it certainly makes sense to begin charging for Magical Express, as well. More money, more money!

We normally rent a car as we don't fly into Orlando due to cost but park it during the stay for convenience-it's rare for us to move it while on site. We then pack it up and drive back to the airport(usually Tampa).

With the parking charge, we will do a one way rental to Disney, dump the car to avoid parking onsite, then re-rent to get back to Tampa. Normally that is a few dollars cheaper anyway but there is a cost for convenience. $13-23 per day is above that cost.

If anything is needed offsite, for less than the parking fee, Uber/Lyft can get me there and back.

One way rentals are usually much more expensive than round trip, but I guess it also depends on how many days total you are spending.

One way rentals are usually much more expensive than round trip, but I guess it also depends on how many days total you are spending.

Our upcoming trip next month had a one way rental of $48 to Disney, $43 to leave, and a 4 day keep of $99. At an $8 difference, we'll keep the car. Add in another $57 to pay to park, and we'd dump the car. The trip was booked so it's not an issue.

For October, I have one way from Tampa at $61, back to Tampa at $68, and a 5 night keep at $153.
I've never found one way rentals to and from Disney property to be nearly as expensive as doing one way rental elsewhere.

Aaaaaand I'm out.

We used to take multiple trips per year, but the novelty wore off right about the same time WDW started stagnating and the DDP fundamentally changed dining on property. There is now almost nothing at WDW that's worth it to us for what they're charging and between the congestion in the parks, draconian planning required, and aggressive money-grubbing it's just not fun anymore.

We already sold half of our DVC. At this point aside from the occasional DVC Moonlight Magic event or seeing friends and family from out of town, we're done.

I didn't have a car at WDW, had no idea they didn't charge.
The 3 Disney hotels at Disneyland have charged for parking for years.

Disneyland has a lot less space than WDW, so I understand the reasons for charging parking fees. When I visited last year, we stayed off-site and used other transportation since we did not rent a car. There is plenty of parking at the values and moderates, no need to charge a premium to park in half empty lots IMO.

I will probably still stay on-site for runDisney for the sake of convenience, but will probably stay elsewhere and park for free at the parks with my AP.

No. Not since the beginning. S&D did not always have resort fees. Also when they did start the resort fee thing, it did not include parking fees until a few years later.

Also, there was a class action suit when resort fees were first imposed as they started charging without notifying people up front that they would be adding a resort fee later when you checked in. These hotels had to give credits back for that. I was a member of that class and when notified, I also got those credits.

This all makes me sad. I haven't been to Disney world in 8 years. I have fond memories of our 4 visits. By the last trip I felt like I had the system figured out and we could enjoy our vacation like pros. Then all the changes started. FP+, new rides and lands that require reserving FP months in advance, price increases, huge crowds. I know things change and I'm ok with that, but I miss the relative simplicity. I know they are trying to make money but having not been in a while, it all overwhelms me now. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

As a frequent traveler, I know charging for parking is the norm at most high-mid end properties and in properties in high tourist areas. Sometimes it is spelled out as a parking fee and sometimes it is considered as part of the resort fee. So while new to Disney, it is not new to the industry.

IMO this is a stupid move on Disney part. They're going to kill the goose who laid golden eggs. With the amount of DVC inventory, I suspect most WDW visitors are repeated guests who doesn't do the park every single day. Those who drove probably want to do stuff outside. Those who flown most likely already don't rent a car. $19/night in moderate hotel is a lot (they have the space). On top of the park fee, the dining and everything else. Now they're going to drive people offsite, Uber in, or park elsewhere. People are going to cut short their 10+ day trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter