Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Sounds to me like you need to buy one of them private islands from AWE TV.....pirate:

Though I would love a private island to visit (who wouldn’t), with all the modern amenities of course, it would be too remote to live. I like to shop! Lol.

I do however have extreme anxiety and am prone to panic attacks. Being in a closed very crowded space is one tigger. Usually I can deal with it moderately well if I know there’s quick way out or it’s just for a few minutes. So if I can avoid something that will undoubtly freak me out, I will do so. Especially since (in my older age ;) ) I’ve begun to have chest pains with it. Going to a cardiologist is not fun, neither is walking around with a heart monitor, or having a bunch tests.

But hey that means more room on the gondolas for everyone else, .

Last edited:
I know they have said it won't open until next fall, and we have decided it is due to a delay in gondola production, but I still find it somewhat fishy that they are doing all this testing and such this far in advance.

Ah well, this is why I do not work in the department that makes these types of decisions.

I know they have said it won't open until next fall, and we have decided it is due to a delay in gondola production, but I still find it somewhat fishy that they are doing all this testing and such this far in advance.

Ah well, this is why I do not work in the department that makes these types of decisions.

I agree with you - and part of me wonders if that Fall 2019 is for when the system is 100% up and running - meaning the Riviera stop is open .... but that the rest of the system could be running prior to that

I agree with you - and part of me wonders if that Fall 2019 is for when the system is 100% up and running - meaning the Riviera stop is open .... but that the rest of the system could be running prior to that

Intellectually I understand that splicing the cables is a specialized skill and this is the time of year the contractors for that part are available so they have to do that now regardless of whether the cabins themselves are done yet but......it still doesn't make much sense to me that they would get all of this done just to have it sit for 10 months until next fall.

I wouldn't think having it sit out motionless for most of a year would be good for it but then again it is made to be outside so I doubt it would hurt it much either.

I have no desire to ride these things. DH, to my surprise, does want to. (He’s afraid of heights, so odd) Neither of us are excited about it stopping at IG. We enjoy the quiet entry that’s there now & are not looking forward to heavier traffic.

I think the gondolas look really small. Disney shoves & squishes us all (obviously with our permission) onto buses & monorails, making us all become very familiar with strangers, that we probably wouldn’t necessarily want to become so familiar with. And now they want us all to be happy to enter into a tin can hanging on a rope in the sky, sailing away, butt to butt (literally), in the FL weather, with no a/c in the lightening capitol, where there is not quick escape. It’s just not for me. But I’m sure some will (like my DH) want to ride it & some will love it & some will hate it. Time will tell how the majority feels & how that effects Disney’s future use of the system.

a) they're really not that high off the ground to begin with
b) they're continuously loading so no need to shove each car full of people

I would certainly wait and see how it operates and read some reviews before deciding to assume the worst...

This exactly. The gondola system will be far and away safer that the bus system.

The US Highway system is the LEAST safe form of transportation in the US, but no one fears using it. Statistics don't matter to lots of humans - only what the feel. It's why this world is such a mess.
Humans tend to way over emphasis personal experience when determining if something is safe. Since people personally drive on the highway everyday and the vast majority of the time nothing happens, it must be "safe." But then you take something like flying or a gondola where the majority of people have little experience and any incident gets major media attention their experience is tons of bad news with almost no offsetting positive experience, so it must be "unsafe."

This is made worse because media covers rarer events more than common events. A fatal car accident may not even make the local news, while a very minor aircraft incident is national news. I think most people would be shocked that their metro has multiple intersections and interchanges that average multiple deaths a year and they drive through them all the time.

I have no desire to ride these things. DH, to my surprise, does want to. (He’s afraid of heights, so odd) Neither of us are excited about it stopping at IG. We enjoy the quiet entry that’s there now & are not looking forward to heavier traffic.

I think the gondolas look really small. Disney shoves & squishes us all (obviously with our permission) onto buses & monorails, making us all become very familiar with strangers, that we probably wouldn’t necessarily want to become so familiar with. And now they want us all to be happy to enter into a tin can hanging on a rope in the sky, sailing away, butt to butt (literally), in the FL weather, with no a/c in the lightening capitol, where there is not quick escape. It’s just not for me. But I’m sure some will (like my DH) want to ride it & some will love it & some will hate it. Time will tell how the majority feels & how that effects Disney’s future use of the system.
The capacity is so high on this system I doubt they will combine groups any time other than right after fireworks. Most of the gondolas will be leaving the station empty outside of closing time.

Though I would love a private island to visit (who wouldn’t), with all the modern amenities of course, it would be too remote to live. I like to shop! Lol.

I do however have extreme anxiety and am prone to panic attacks. Being in a closed very crowded space is one tigger. Usually I can deal with it moderately well if I know there’s quick way out or it’s just for a few minutes. So if I can avoid something that will undoubtly freak me out, I will do so. Especially since (in my older age ;) ) I’ve begun to have chest pains with it. Going to a cardiologist is not fun, neither is walking around with a heart monitor, or having a bunch tests.

But hey that means more room on the gondolas for everyone else, .

I seriously think you could tell the loaders your fears and they would let you go on the gondola on your own or just with your family.

For the most part I think they will not be cramming people on the gondola. The ONLY time the gondolas have a chance of being crowded are at park closing. Any other time the capacity is so much larger than the number of people using them I think generally they will be sticking with 4-6 people per cabin unless a larger family all wants to go together.

But -on the other hand - if you don't like it, don't use it.

......it still doesn't make much sense to me that they would get all of this done just to have it sit for 10 months until next fall.

I wouldn't think having it sit out motionless for most of a year would be good for it but then again it is made to be outside so I doubt it would hurt it much either.

Financially too, you're guaranteed that a team from head office spent weeks or months building a financial case justifying the capital expense of the Skyliners based on potential paybacks in operating cost savings (i.e. buses), etc.. The payback doesn't begin until the system is up and running. If they get enough cars sooner, and the system is otherwise installed, safe, and tested, I'm sure they'll open it up sooner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter