Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Last week was a first for us...8 days and not a single ride on the monorail. I am looking forward to the gondolas though.
They weren’t as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Old and showing it? Definitely. But there was no terrible odor and only one time in the many we rode it that a car had bad A/C. They definitely need replacement but it wasn’t earth shattering bad

I'm a Fort Wilderness guy. I hardly ever travel anywhere these days with the family except in my vintage RV. However, if they installed a real PeopleMover, a real life application of Walt's dream, not just a novelty ride, I'd pay to stay at AKL just to support it and ride it back and forth. I mean, I'm the kind of guy who made the trip to West Virginia University to use their 70s era pods transportation system when I was in college just to do it. I paid to ride the Chunnel Train when my company would have paid for me to fly from London to Paris just so I could experience it. I love unique mass transit. Someday I will ride a maglev train, and I'd fly to Chicago just to ride Musk's Chicago Loop project if it ever gets built from O'Hare.

So please Disney, build a real PeopleMover. Build something unique and crazy and part of a dream. Even if it isn't the most efficient. As a shareholder I won't complain. I just want to see someone have the guts to try and make it work.
Haha, as someone who went to WVU that made me laugh. I hated that thing, it broke down way too often to be one of the main transportation options across campus.
But I would love to see a real peoplemover at Disney, that would be awesome!

Haha, as someone who went to WVU that made me laugh. I hated that thing, it broke down way too often to be one of the main transportation options across campus.
But the PP is talking about a WEDway People Mover, aka TTA at MK, which is nothing like WVU PRT.

The WVU PRT deserves to be cut some slack. It's getting old, and was a prototype built with a mixture of off-the-shell and cutting edge (for the time) technology which is now largely obsolete. It was impressive at its time, and it's impressive that it's still running.

For those unfamiliar, the WVU Morgantown PRT uses vehicles similar to modern people movers, but it incorporates some aspects of Personal Rapid Transit in that the vehicles can run on demand stopping only at stations requested by riders and automatically bypass other stations using bypass tracks. It opened in 1975.

Yes. I went to school in SW Va and as a novelty it was fun to ride when I made some excuse to visit a h.s. acquaintance at WVU. She thought it was hilarious that I wanted to ride it. This was almost 20 years ago, but I don't think the students were all that enamored with it back then, either.

I dont know, as a long time Floridian, the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that was "OVEN"!!!!
I don't have a whole lot to comment on the no a/c aspect but I will say if it has vents on both sides that should tremendously help.

When we went to Oahu, Hawaii in 2016 the for rent by owner condo we stayed at did not have a/c (which is actually a lot more common than you'd think). Now granted in Hawaii they had trade winds but we just opened the balcony door enough to slide in the screen and then opened the glass slats (can't remember the technical name for them) by the front door and that provided airflow in the condo.

Now granted the heat is slightly different since Hawaii doesn't quite have the extreme heats (just more the same yearround) but I feel like if we could be in that condo, sleep in that condo without a/c then the hopefully relatively short journey on the gondola won't be terrible if the airflow is right.

It will be years unfortunately before I find out if my thoughts on that are true but that's my thoughts for now.

I bet to differ on your use of the term "slightly".
Uh ok :confused3

Won't change my viewpoint on it but you're obviously free to have a different opinion on my overall stance but you're also free to dissect away on my words too-still won't change my viewpoint at the moment.

Interesting that it's just one on that truck. I'm guessing it's a test fit type of deal. Either for Disney to start the vinyl wrap sizing or a sample for execs to look at. It's not like they are too heavy or too big to fit more than one on that truck. I guess I won't say this one unit tells the full story of what the final product will be.

Interesting that it's just one on that truck. I'm guessing it's a test fit type of deal. Either for Disney to start the vinyl wrap sizing or a sample for execs to look at. It's not like they are too heavy or too big to fit more than one on that truck. I guess I won't say this one unit tells the full story of what the final product will be.
It appears that one is also damaged so they could be taking it for repairs or returning it. They also could be using it for testing of certain aspects.

Man those look a lot smaller than I expected. I don't know how many people they envision to get in each cab, but it can't be more than 4-6. Couple that with the size of strollers people are using at WDW it doesn't look like you'll get many bodies in there. If that's the case they must be installing a massive number of cabs since they don't appear to have much capacity.

I was looking at the new room rates for next year at POP and so far the rate has only gone up a dollar on a standard room for next summer thru the end of the year when these will be operational...so far?
So the price hike that people have been worried about may not happen or they will be saving on bus cost's so they don't need too.. maybe ?

I was looking at the new room rates for next year at POP and so far the rate has only gone up a dollar on a standard room for next summer thru the end of the year when these will be operational...so far?
So the price hike that people have been worried about may not happen or they will be saving on bus cost's so they don't need too.. maybe ?
Next Spring they should open.

Man those look a lot smaller than I expected. I don't know how many people they envision to get in each cab, but it can't be more than 4-6. Couple that with the size of strollers people are using at WDW it doesn't look like you'll get many bodies in there. If that's the case they must be installing a massive number of cabs since they don't appear to have much capacity.
That's why I wanted to see inside them to help with my perspective. I wasn't expecting really really large but maybe it's just the perspectives of the pictures it just seemed smaller than I was expecting.

Seat width is 18.1 inches, about the width of an airline seat; don't expect room to spread out. I think they could easily fit 4 across, maybe 5. It's either an 8-seater or a 10-seater.

ETA: Also, I think the straight-on view on the link is actually the side opposite the door. If you search for the original photos on Twitter, the last one has a better view of the front.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!