Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Seat width is 18.1 inches, about the width of an airline seat; don't expect room to spread out. I think they could easily fit 4 across, maybe 5. It's either an 8-seater or a 10-seater.
Ohh now that does help a bit more for me on picturing it speaking towards the measurement aspects

It appears that one is also damaged so they could be taking it for repairs or returning it. They also could be using it for testing of certain aspects.
I don't see damage. I think it's just the vent windows taped shut for shipping.

Not sure if this helps or not but here are a few pictures of the gondolas that I traveled in in Hong Kong - they look roughly the same shape and size and did not have AC - just venting towards the top. Not sure exact temperatures there vs Orlando but definitely gets humid there (was not uncomfortable inside)

16_360 big buda 1.jpg 18_360 me and big budha.jpg

Saw a picture of one of the skyliners in transit to the resort. My main question is - are these things airconditioned? Surely you aren't going to stick a bunch of kids in a glass and metal box in Orlando, lift them up closer to the sun, and not provide air conditioning right? They would take me to prison if I did that where I live. Only Gondolas I've ridden have been at ski resorts and you dont need AC.

Saw a picture of one of the skyliners in transit to the resort. My main question is - are these things airconditioned? Surely you aren't going to stick a bunch of kids in a glass and metal box in Orlando, lift them up closer to the sun, and not provide air conditioning right? They would take me to prison if I did that where I live. Only Gondolas I've ridden have been at ski resorts and you dont need AC.

There's already a very active thread for the gondolas here, discussing just about everything, including a/c, check it out
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...pdated-6-12-18.3578988/page-132#post-59358844

I see they moved your post into that thread, welcome to the discussion.

Not sure if this helps or not but here are a few pictures of the gondolas that I traveled in in Hong Kong - they look roughly the same shape and size and did not have AC - just venting towards the top. Not sure exact temperatures there vs Orlando but definitely gets humid there (was not uncomfortable inside)

View attachment 331814 View attachment 331815

Saw those pics...definitely NOT Florida :rotfl2:

View attachment 331814 View attachment 331815
I'm guessing this is at a higher elevation than WDW? And I'm guessing most of the Disney cars will have more riders. With the issues I have with heat, these are going to be a no go for me.

I'm certain they have some idea of how warm it will get in these things and that it won't be unbearable. How could they expect people to use it if it was? I don't claim to know what kind of solution it would be, but I'm sure there will be one.

I have used gondolas in Vietnam where it is equally hot and humid. It didn't feel hotter inside than outside. The little windows made it absolutely bearable.
Everybody that thinks aircon is absolutely necessary can use a different way of transportation.
BTW the parks are not airconditioned as well

BTW the parks are not airconditioned as well
Well yeah. That's why I'm always looking for somewhere air conditioned to escape!

The point is that everyone's heat tolerance is very different. I can tell you right now that won't work for me.

And can they promise there won't ever be a stoppage? Isn't the movement what they're relying on for passive cooling?

I'm certain the air-conditioning situation was discussed ad nauseam. It would be insane to spend the amount Disney is spending unless they were absolutely certain the gondolas would be tolerable.

Current conditions at Walt Disney World. (Check out the heat index...aka "feels like" temperature.)

lbv-weather-summer-f.jpg

For the rest of world that uses the metric system:
lbv-weather-summer-c.jpg

Source: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?unit=F&location=USFL9833

I'm guessing this is at a higher elevation than WDW? And I'm guessing most of the Disney cars will have more riders. With the issues I have with heat, these are going to be a no go for me.

Well, a bit higher elevation as it goes up higher but it’s on an island so starting from pretty low and it gets crazy humid there. They did fill the cars pretty well - there were 7 or 8 in my car if I remember

Some of the cars, including the one I was in, also had glass floors so you could look down

Well yeah. That's why I'm always looking for somewhere air conditioned to escape!

The point is that everyone's heat tolerance is very different. I can tell you right now that won't work for me.

And can they promise there won't ever be a stoppage? Isn't the movement what they're relying on for passive cooling?
They can tow them back into the with a diesel backup system so any “stoppage” would be minimal in a breakdown situation.

But they won’t stop on the wire at all during regular operation

But the PP is talking about a WEDway People Mover, aka TTA at MK, which is nothing like WVU PRT.

The WVU PRT deserves to be cut some slack. It's getting old, and was a prototype built with a mixture of off-the-shell and cutting edge (for the time) technology which is now largely obsolete. It was impressive at its time, and it's impressive that it's still running.

For those unfamiliar, the WVU Morgantown PRT uses vehicles similar to modern people movers, but it incorporates some aspects of Personal Rapid Transit in that the vehicles can run on demand stopping only at stations requested by riders and automatically bypass other stations using bypass tracks. It opened in 1975.
Oh I know what they were referring to. I thought it was funny that it was something that they wanted to ride since it was something I pretty much had to ride every day for 4 years and hated lol. Hence why I said a true PeopleMover would be awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter