disney transfer vs. towncars

goofyme

Mouseketeer
i was always jealous of everybody boarding the buses to go to their ships at the resorts. but is it worth it? what are the advantages of going by bus? atmosphere? if you do rent a towncar, do you get to the ship quicker?(and if you do, what is the latest time you can leave wdw to still beat the buses. thanks

Disney transfers are very convenient. We had them on our land and sea last year. The only thing is you might have a bit of a wait at times but its really not bad. I believe it's $50 round trip per person from the airport to the port. They get your luggage for you at the airport and then you don't see it until you get to your room. There's no extra tipping, at least that I know of. You also get to watch the video on the bus and its very nice if you never been on the cruise.

If you are staying at a resort at WDW and plan on using the transfers, you might want to find out when (and if) the bus picks up at the hotel. We were at POR and it didn't arrive until 12:15pm. We didn't arrive at the port until 1:30 or so. Plus, there were alot of people from our hotel so there were 2 buses. The first one filled up only partially and then went to Animal Kingdom to pick up a group that opted to go there for the morning. We went on the 2nd that went straight to the port, but we had to wait a little for it to arrive.

This past year, we had plans to rent a car afterwards, so we used a town service on the way. I like this best if budget wise it makes sense. You schedule your pick-up times and there's no waiting for anyone else.

We plan on using a service again. We have used Tiffany Towncar twice (last year and two years ago for a WDW trip only). We had great service. For the three of us, I have been quoted $150-$160 plus a tip. There is a bit of a difference in price, but I think it's worth it to have the availibility.

From the airport, I believe I saw that someone posted that the buses started leaving around 9:30am. I'm not sure if they leave any earlier fro the airport. I don't know how early they leave from any of the other hotels. Maybe someone else has this info. I did inquire about the times last year and I don't think it was very early for the first buses from any of the hotels, maybe around 11, I'm really not sure.

If you have a land/sea package through DCL, you shouldn't have to go through check-in at the port. I don't think this has changed. It was very nice to walk into the terminal and right onto the ship. Of course, we arrived well after the ship had started letting cruisers on.

If you want to get to the port early from the hotel, I suggest that you take a car service.

Have fun.

Our first cruise we stayed near the airport and were able to get an early bus to Port.

This last January we stayed in the Epcot Resort area and our bus picked us up at 12:30. THEN, we made a detour (since our bus wasn't full) to AK to pick up more cruisers. We didn't make it to the port until 2pm. Too late for Palo ressies and almost too late for our first 5 Spa day/time choices. We will not do this again. This coming December's 4-day, we rented a towncar from Happy Limo so we could make it to port at a decent time from BWV.

Yes, it is convenient if it is not important for you to get to the port early. For just the two of us cruising, it's actually less expensive but it's not worth it to us. We'll pay more for a driver.

For those that have used a towncar.
The towncars say they can hold 4 adults. Do they put three adults in the back and one in the front with the driver?
Just trying to figure out how comfortable we will be having one of our group in the front seat with the driver.

we took a towncar got to port about 10.30 and got on ship at noon.... i think the 4th person would have to sit in the front
if u wanted everybody to have a seat belt
peter

Hi Padre Disney.

Just trying to figure out how comfortable we will be having one of our group in the front seat with the driver.

You're only talking the front seat, Padre Disney. It's not like they're going to be in Alabama...

Only my very humble opinion, but...

Not with a gun to my head would I take a Disney trasnfer! (How's that for being humble?)

They are NO cheaper than a towncar, and only a few bucks cheaper than a limo!

Limos and towncars are private, for your party alone, in great comfort and relaxation.

They will make a grocery stop if you desire, for whatever needs you may have. Try asking a Disney bus driver to stop for groceries, and see how loud they laugh!

Limos/towncars run on YOUR schedule, not vice-versa. It's your vacation - do things your way, not Disney's way!

Just my thoughts folks... we have taken limos for the last 3 years and we will never switch! It is SO nice to start off the vacation that way. You'll never see me herded onto a bus with the rest of the cattle...

'Beano':cool:

Originally posted by BeanoC
They are NO cheaper than a towncar, and only a few bucks cheaper than a limo!'Beano':cool:

When you are traveling with only 2 in your party, Disney transfers are definitely cheaper than a towncar, limo, van, etc. (unless you find a car rental deal like Avis or Hertz).

Originally posted by BeanoC
Limos/towncars run on YOUR schedule, not vice-versa. It's your vacation - do things your way, not Disney's way!

This is exactly why we're getting a Happy Limo towncar! I want to get there nice and early! :)

It looks like most groups of 3 book the towncar with no problems. In our group we have 4 adults and 2 of them are larger people. We are all related so sitting close is not a problem. But since the other couple will be just married I'm sure that one of them will not want to sit in the front with the driver. This will be our first big trip leaving the 4 kids at home celebrating our 20th anniversary and it would be nice to sit close together even it the ride is only for a few minutes. :)

So I think the best thing for our group would be to book the limo. None of us have every been in a limo and it would be a real treat to arrive at the ship in a limo.

Now finding one at a good rate. We only want one one way. Our flight home leaves late so we are renting a car for the day.

Last month, we bot bumped from a flight and ended up going into Tampa instead of MCO. We were supposed to the the Dis bus out of MCO, but since we were flying into Tampa instead, I called the transfers company who sent a limo for us in Tampa. How wonderful! We have always used transfers included in the package and have sat in awe of those coming in private towncars or limos. It made us giddy the entire ride to the port. Coming home, we took the bus. I thought I'd be a little more excited after hearing so much about them. Maybe it wasn't a big deal because we were going home. Maybe it was because we had a limo on the way there. Whatever the reason, I'll always do my own transportation from now on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter