Disney World Excursion from Royal

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Anyone been on a Royal cruise with a stop in Port Canaveral? And if so, did you do the Disney excursion and was it worth it? Excursions just opened for our future Anthem cruise and it's offering it, which just includes transportation. Unfortunately we dock late and are only in port from something like 12pm - 9pm. Anyone find it's worth it? Or not sure if its an option to do the excursion (i.e. transportation) but just to go Disney downtown (not sure logistically how far this is from where the bus drops you off at).

I also noticed a similar Universal excursion (park cost is the same as Disney).

Anyone been on a Royal cruise with a stop in Port Canaveral? And if so, did you do the Disney excursion and was it worth it? Excursions just opened for our future Anthem cruise and it's offering it, which just includes transportation. Unfortunately we dock late and are only in port from something like 12pm - 9pm. Anyone find it's worth it? Or not sure if its an option to do the excursion (i.e. transportation) but just to go Disney downtown (not sure logistically how far this is from where the bus drops you off at).

I also noticed a similar Universal excursion (park cost is the same as Disney).

I haven't done this excursion but I live in Tampa Bay area and the travel time from the port all the way to Disney is well over an hour, probably closer to 1.5 depending on traffic and time getting to and from bus. I wouldn't do it unless I had an annual pass - I personally don't think it is enough time to justify cost and get a full day of fun out of it. But it is up to you!
enjoy the cruise

edit to add: you would probably need to uber or lyft to disney springs (what used to be called downtown disney) if they are dropping you off at the Ticket center which I am just assuming they would do

Having just been to Universal this past summer, I think Islands of Adventure is doable but if you do USF you should upgrade to an Express Pass so you can bypass most of the lines.

Yeah..that's what I figured about the excursion. And although it lists starting at 12:30pm, I'm sure it takes time to wait for everyone to come and actually leave. Then not sure at what time will be the bus pick up time to return. What about downtown Disney (not sure if that is the same as Disney Springs?). Would that be worthwhile for the day? (Then again...may be so hard 'mentally' knowing we are there right by Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, yet so far away). And I should note that it will be busy time of year in March.

Ok thanks...we can consider Universal with front of the line (probably pricey). Is Universal same driving distance as Disney World? Or its closer to Port Canaveral?

Downtown Disney = Disney Springs. And... maybe. If you had younger kids it's probably not a good place to go but with teens/young adults it's probably fine to walk around.

I'd say Universal and WDW are about equidistant from Port Canaveral. Maybe 5-10 minutes difference in travel time.

I think it really depends if this is your one and only chance to get to Walt Disney World. Then I say do it. Just keep in mind you’re biting the bullet by paying more for getting less if you factor in You’re paying the same for someone who could be there the whole day. Another option would be is to maybe look into a Disney water park. depending on the time of year they open until five or 7 PM and they are fun! . It’s also a lot cheaper per person per day then a regular park ticket. If you are only one or two people I say the cost factor is not really that important. But for a family of four paying a one day park pass for only six hours for me that’s a bit pricey.

I think it really depends if this is your one and only chance to get to Walt Disney World. Then I say do it. Just keep in mind you’re biting the bullet by paying more for getting less if you factor in You’re paying the same for someone who could be there the whole day. Another option would be is to maybe look into a Disney water park. depending on the time of year they open until five or 7 PM and they are fun! . It’s also a lot cheaper per person per day then a regular park ticket. If you are only one or two people I say the cost factor is not really that important. But for a family of four paying a one day park pass for only six hours for me that’s a bit pricey.

Really want to do a regular Disney World trip sometime but not sure when as our vacation plans are booked up the next while. Having said that, we have a cruise out of Port Canaveral for the summer after the one in the post so we may squeeze 2.5 days of the parks in afterwards before we come home.

Yeah...agree with you, and this is March so parks will be busy (which means less ride time) plus high price tickets. The water parks are an idea...thanks.

Last night DH was saying that he'd like to try Disney Springs sometime so not dismissing the Disney excursion. It's just a matter if it will fill a day. We'd definitely take the ship "excursion" rather than our own transportation so we are on their time if an any traffic issues so we would be on the excursion timing.

Tbh I think WDW will have the most value once the Hollywood Studios reno is done.

Would a car rental work? I know there is some inherent risk going this route but you don’t have to wait for a bus and you can control your time a little better.

Tbh I think WDW will have the most value once the Hollywood Studios reno is done.

Would a car rental work? I know there is some inherent risk going this route but you don’t have to wait for a bus and you can control your time a little better.

When is Star Wars land estimated for completion? This cruise is March 2020.

We prefer to go with Royal transportation since Disney is far away....and in case any traffic issues returning.

Really want to do a regular Disney World trip sometime but not sure when as our vacation plans are booked up the next while. Having said that, we have a cruise out of Port Canaveral for the summer after the one in the post so we may squeeze 2.5 days of the parks in afterwards before we come home.

Yeah...agree with you, and this is March so parks will be busy (which means less ride time) plus high price tickets. The water parks are an idea...thanks.

Last night DH was saying that he'd like to try Disney Springs sometime so not dismissing the Disney excursion. It's just a matter if it will fill a day. We'd definitely take the ship "excursion" rather than our own transportation so we are on their time if an any traffic issues so we would be on the excursion timing.
FYI. Typoon Lagoon is right across the street from Disney Springs. Not walkable but Disney buses run every 10 min back and forth. So water park and dinner at DS and a quick walk about may be doable. I highly recommend The Polite Pig quick service BBQ place.

FYI. Typoon Lagoon is right across the street from Disney Springs. Not walkable but Disney buses run every 10 min back and forth. So water park and dinner at DS and a quick walk about may be doable. I highly recommend The Polite Pig quick service BBQ place.

Great thank you. That's an option too. It looks like the bus drops you off at one of the 4 main parks so we'd have to uber from there (and back at end of the day).

edit to add: you would probably need to uber or lyft to disney springs (what used to be called downtown disney) if they are dropping you off at the Ticket center which I am just assuming they would do

If they drop off at Ticket & Transportation Center, you could walk over to Poly and hop on a park bus, Disney Springs bus, or the monorail from there also.

If it were me, we'd take the cruise ship transportation to the Ticket & Transportation Center, walk over to Poly for lunch (Kona perhaps?) and then catch the bus to Disney Springs and walk around there for the day. You could get dinner or a snack before heading back to the ship, stop for drinks, etc. If you're only in port until 9pm, chances are the bus will pick you up around 7-7:30, so you IMO we would feel too pressed for time trying to do a park.

If they drop off at Ticket & Transportation Center, you could walk over to Poly and hop on a park bus, Disney Springs bus, or the monorail from there also.

If it were me, we'd take the cruise ship transportation to the Ticket & Transportation Center, walk over to Poly for lunch (Kona perhaps?) and then catch the bus to Disney Springs and walk around there for the day. You could get dinner or a snack before heading back to the ship, stop for drinks, etc. If you're only in port until 9pm, chances are the bus will pick you up around 7-7:30, so you IMO we would feel too pressed for time trying to do a park.

good call!

Thanks...good option. The excursion doesn't leave until 12:30pm so would prob have an early lunch on the ship, but would definitely grab an afternoon snack and/or dinner at Disney Springs (sounds like the bus will leave around 7pm or so). Agree...would love to go to the park for the day but for the price, it's just not worth it for the few hours. (Luckily we have another cruise booked out of Port Canaveral where we are thinking of adding a couple park days after the cruise before flying home).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter