Disney World in August- crowds??

crock

Earning My Ears
Hey all,
My family is looking at heading to Disney, thinking about August to eleviate the missing school issue. What am I wondering is how busy will it be? The journies we have taken to Disney before were in September 2001, February 2005 and December 2007.
Any ideas/opinions are appreciated.
Thanks

Been in August twice during the last two weeks of the month. Very hot & very humid. Crowds not too bad during the week, only long waits at Soarin, Test Track, Tower of Terror later in the day.

Most of the US kids have started back to school so crowds are thinner.

If you hit the parks early you won't be disappointed.

We would not hesitate to go again in late August.

The kids down there are back in by the start of the 3rd week so the crowds really drop off then. We founds crowds very manageable but a little heavier on Labour Day weekend. I didn't find the heat too bad and we were in and out of a/c all day or in the pool anyway.

As the pps stated, it is manageable. Hot and sticky by mid morning/late afternoon. Nights were usually quite nice. Couldn't have bothered me too much since I'm going again.;)

We were there Aug 12-18, 2007 and found that it was busy...probably because some schools were going back the following week...but remember there are thousands of other people that go to Disney as well...

We were there last year for the last week of August - I'd worry more about the heat then I would the crowds. We got to the parks for opening and by about noon we were melting and so hot we had to leave the parks. Even when the sun went down it was hot! We won't do summer again! Crowds were fine that last week though b/c their schools go back earlier.

We were there last year from August 5-12 and it was hot and crowded! Friends of ours went the last week of August and said there were no crowds and the weather was perfect. I would wait til later if possible!

We were there the week before Labour day - FANTASTIC! Plan for early mornings and later days and soak up that sun in the afternoon! I wish we were going then again! A lot of schools have gone back by then too!! It is the best time!:)

We have gone during the last week of August since 2003. The later in the month the better - it gets less crowded starting around mid-August with practically no crowds at all during the last week. We have visited WDW at all times of the year with the exception of January and late August is without doubt the least busy. Of course the weather is definitely not ideal as others have said - very hot, humid and rainy and it's peak hurricane season. It's a personal thing, but I prefer to deal with rain than people.

We are a group of 18 going August 15th-30th. All the Florida school boards start classes again on the 18th, so I don't think it will be too crowded during the week. Weekends, I would imagine, will be quite busy.

The heat, will be smothering. The humidity will be very high, and a thunderstorm will occur every afternoon. We plan to go early in the morning for opening, back to our vacation home around noon, then head back to the parks around 5 or so.

I have to agree with all the previous posts. We went last year the last week of August into the 1st few days of Sept.

Weather was hot and humid every day. Thundershowers perhaps 2 afternoons, but lasted only about 30-45 minutes.

Crowds on Labour day were heavy, but we went to the park early every day and had little problems with wait times.

Water PArks were an AWESOME time away from the crowded parks......the highlight of our trip for the kids

I'd go back in August in a heatbeat, but my wife hated the humidity.

Spent the last week of August in WDW in 2006. Hot and humid but very empty parks... no lines... walked on everything... it was great!! Arrived at the Wilderness Lodge at 10am and was able to check in right away!
Rumour is that Free Dining will begin August 23 so be sure to think about that. The (rumoured ) release dates for those rooms (limited) is the second week of April. If you look around the boards, you can get more details on the Free Dining.

We were at WDW last year from August 19 to 31. It was hot but not unbearable. We didn't find it crowded. What we did find is that by 2 PM the parks seemed to be filled with cranky, grumpy people so we usually went back to the hotel to hang out by the pool. The one place that was busy were the water parks. The water parks have morning extra magic hours everyday and you definitely want to take advantage of it.

Don't worry too much about free dining. Disney doesn't have enough hotel rooms to fill the parks. They do have enough hotel rooms to fill the restaurants though so do make your ADR's at the 180 day mark to avoid any disappointments.

We have been in August three times in the last four years. It is hot and humid but it's hot and humid where we live in August too. We get up early and take advantage of EMH and if it gets busy at that park we just leave and go to another one. We always take afternoon breaks to swim and rest and head back in the early evenings. I teach school in Ontario and it's a nice way to end the summer. As others have said the American kids are back in school in August so the crowds are low. The later you can go in August the lower the crowds. At least that is what we have experienced.
The only unfortunate thing we have ever experienced is a hurricane. It was our first trip in late August 04 and our flight was cancelled so we had to rent a car and drive home. It was a little scary to know a hurricane was on it's way and the parks did close that year but the bus drivers told us to stay because Disney is the best place to be during a hurricane! It was a pain, so now we drive down. I just like having my car there, just in case plus it's handy to have for shopping runs. We generally use Disney transit for the parks.
We are heading down again this year on Aug. 10. School goes back Sept. 2 this year so we have to go a bit earlier than usual. We love it and it beats trying to fight the crowds during March break or Christmas.
:tinker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter