Disney World versus Disneyland??

I've been to Disney World Orlando roughly 20x throughout my life, and I keep going back because I love it and I'm a loyal Disney World nerd.

However, I'm tempted to plan a trip out west to Disneyland in 2021... Is Disneyland worth it in comparison to what everything WDW offers? Can you do Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park in two full days? I've heard some mixed reviews on Disneyland.. so all you Disneyland people.. please.. EXPLAIN WHY DISNEYLAND IS BETTER (or at least.. worth the visit)!! 😄

California Adventure has I think the best Toy Story land, even better than the one as HS. They also have a bunch of other unique things, it's well worth a visit just for that.
Disneyland Park is just so classic, you get the classic Tiki Room, you get some other classic rides... and you have the same Galaxy's Edge that you can enjoy fully there as well.

I've been to Disney World a bunch as well, but I also really enjoy trips to Disneyland.

Not as useful to stay on-property at Disneyland though since so many other hotels are just as close. You can get a Magic Morning by getting a three day instead of a two day ticket, if you want to go a bit longer than two days...

We go to DL to relax and unwind for four to five days, usually staying at the DLH or the Grand. Sometimes we make reservations for a character meal or two, sometimes not. We usually make the hotel reservations a couple months in advance with airline reservations after the hotel is confirmed. That's it, that is the extent of our reservations required to go to DL. No ADRs months in advance, none of that stuff. We seldom ever rent a car, just LIFT from LAX. We seldom ever have a problem. We go through the parks at our own pace relaxing!:hyper2:. We even pay for our trip in advance and really enjoy the Early Entry, as well as staying on property. All of the Parks are within walking distance. It's very relaxing :tink:

My kids are in a French immersion class so we really want to take them to France and I struggle with if I should go to DL Paris at all. My kids want to but my husband doesn't.

It doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. You could go with your kids for a day (or days) if you want while your husband does something else that he's interested in.

Disneyland Paris is sometimes frustrating from an operational perspective, but it is masterfully designed, and the best of Paris is often best in the world. Especially if you really enjoy exploring and top-shelf theming, Disneyland Paris is fabulous.

Ask yourself: will you potentially regret having been *so close* to the resort without going? When will you get back to Paris next?

I took 3 and a half days to visit the resort, but that was really slowing down and trying to absorb as much of the detail and atmosphere as possible. Most people could do it in less time. You can likely hit all the attractions in one day if you had to (skip the Studios park entirely if you do) and at least sample the atmosphere. If you have a goal of visiting all of the parks at some point, or you are a true fan of the design of the parks, it makes it all the more compelling to stop by.

So in my book, if you want to go at all, you should go. I don't care for people who judge others' travel and look down on people based on where/what they eat and what they do, and you shouldn't let them (unless perhaps they're going to pay your travel bill) dictate your itinerary. It's your trip, and you should do what makes you and your family happy, period.

I have to confess, I went to Tokyo Disney and did exactly this. Airport->Theme Parks->Airport. But that was at least partly because it was part of longer excursion to see the sites of China.

:wizard:
I think as long as you are not just flying to foreign Disney park X, going immediately to the park, and then flying back to the States (or wherever your home is) the second you're done there it's acceptable. It also depends on your circumstances. I didn't do anything other than Disneyland in Shanghai, but I was also spending two weeks in Japan immediately following and had studied abroad in China for a month when I was in College. I think such situations are perfectly fine.

WDW vets and we did DLR on our honeymoon since we're east-coasters and it was more of a once in a lifetime experience. I would definitely recommend 3 days if you don't think you'll be back anytime soon. That gives you a full day to dedicate to each park, and then a third day. I would highly highly recommend the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Not only do you get to get on a few rides with no line, but going into Walt's apartment was just so special. You can really feel his presence in the park.

As for comparing the 2....gosh, it's so hard to do. There are things I like better about each park:

Disneyland wins:
Proximity to park hop
Nostalgia and superior Fantasyland with rides WDW doesn't have
Pirates is FAR superior, i like their Space Mtn too
Less stress about planning meals and fastpasses (Maxpass is awesome and comes with your photos for the day)
Cars Land - especially at night
CORN DOGS. They do not compare to WDW. Not by a mile
Low humidity and generally good weather
Max pass - I loved the idea of first come, first served on the day of. We were able to ride so much and felt the cost was worthwhile

WDW Wins:
The bubble. It doesn't exist in DLR unless you stay onsite and never leave the small area
All of the fun non-park stuff. Downtown disney is cool but doesn't compare to Disney Springs, resort hopping, water parks, etc
Opportunity for longer vacations. As much as I think DLR is a must do for any disney fan, after our 3.5 park days, we felt like we had done what we wanted to do and were ready to relax
Resort options for different budget levels w/magical express

Overall I love WDW so much more but am SO glad we did DLR. It was magical!

Very good and accurate points.

Curious... if you had only a weekend (2-3 days max) and wanted significant park time, where would you choose to go, WDW or DL? Do you ever go to WDW for 2 nights only? You love WDW so much more and without knowing if you care about hitting the big attractions, is WDW really better when you don't have anywhere close to 5+ days to enjoy it?

I love WDW for several things, but unless I'm a local who can get there many times in a year or can make every trip close to a week-long visit, it's too hard to enjoy the theme parks without feeling as if I am missing too much and need more time. The feel of WDW is what I think a lot of people love at WDW (A.K.A "the bubble") as it truly is immersive, but the park experience is lacking when you're not able to spend at least 5 or 6 days there. To each their own of course, but I don't get love for WDW over DL if you're there to enjoy the park attractions.

Curious... if you had only a weekend (2-3 days max) and wanted significant park time, where would you choose to go, WDW or DL? Do you ever go to WDW for 2 nights only? You love WDW so much more and without knowing if you care about hitting the big attractions, is WDW really better when you don't have anywhere close to 5+ days to enjoy it?

I love WDW for several things, but unless I'm a local who can get there many times in a year or can make every trip close to a week-long visit, it's too hard to enjoy the theme parks without feeling as if I am missing too much and need more time. The feel of WDW is what I think a lot of people love at WDW (A.K.A "the bubble") as it truly is immersive, but the park experience is lacking when you're not able to spend at least 5 or 6 days there. To each their own of course, but I don't get love for WDW over DL if you're there to enjoy the park attractions.
This is a valid concern. There would most likely be significantly more time waiting in line at WDW. If only staying for 2-3 days, when your FP window opens, those with longer vacations most likely would have scooped up the most popular ones. Staying longer allows for spreading out FP opportunities to maximize park time and efficiency. Indeed DL has that over WDW for a 2-3 day visit. However, it can still be done with appropriate expectations. We are going to WDW on Feb. 26, flying in that morning and doing MK. The next day, we hop between DHS and Epcot. Feb. 28, we leave. It's a quick trip as a pre-extender for our DCL cruise. If we were flying in and then back home after only 3 days, it would be hard to justify the flight tickets for 5 of us.

I have done one 2 day trip and another 3 day trip to WDW. But those were not technically to WDW but were to other business meetings I had in Central Florida. I hit a weekend for a few days of R&R at WDW.

Starting from scratch, if I had 2-3 days and could choose DLR or WDW, I would choose DLR hands down. It fits with a 2-3 day trip quite well.

For a 5+ day trip then WDW wins hands down over DLR for me.

Last edited:
Only my opinion: I grew up at DL but have only been doing WDW since 1996. (Really want to go back to DL soon bc I've never seen Cal Adventure.) Rides are much better at DL, shopping better at WDW. WDW has more variety, DL has a more relaxed, fun vibe. It's all up to what you prefer, but Do go or you'll never be able to judge!

I have done one 2 day trip and another 3 day trip to WDW. But those were not technically to WDW but were to other business meetings I had in Central Florida. I hit a weekend for a few days of R&R at WDW.

Starting from scratch, if I had 2-3 days and could choose DLR or WDW, I would choose DLR hands down. It fits with a 2-3 day trip quite well.

For a 5+ day trip then WDW wins hands down over DLR for me.

Simplified, it’s not to shoot hate at WDW or it’s strong defenders. I feel that there are many people who choose WDW as the better place over DL without considering the big picture. Many people don’t or won’t have a 5+ days to spend in WDW. And while many just live closer to WDW and don’t have the option to make it to DL, there are others who want to defend WDW as the better park. From a pure enjoyment standpoint when you don’t have almost a week to give and want to experience multiple attractions, there really is no comparison. DL is a lot better than WDW.

I have seen it expressed on here and elsewhere that Disneyland isn't a vacation destination in the way Walt Disney World is, and that's absolutely true. But I think that people who look at DL's size and say things like "well, THAT'S not a place to focus a vacation" are looking at the place in a way that is ultimately detrimental to their trip.

I've seen it expressed many times that for many WDW frequenters, people's vacations are either all Disney or no Disney. And it's true that for most people, Disneyland cannot fill a vacation in the way WDW can. But these people are looking at this situation fundamentally wrong, IMO The destination need not be Disneyland; the destination is Southern California.

While Disneyland can be a great vacation destination all by itself, it can also be just one part of a larger trip. There are so many things to do in Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego. You should be able to find something to do no matter what your interests are just because of the sheer number of options within a few hours (or less) of you. Visit some museums, tour some Hollywood Studios (NOT "Hollywood"), go to the beach (considerably closer to DLR than WDW), eat some great food, check out weird things like the La Brea Tar Pits, or go to the San Diego Zoo. OR you could fly or drive to other parts of California that interest you more; the bay area; national parks; drive the Pacific Coast Highway; visit the Walt Disney Family Museum; visit Napa. There's a diversity of options (AND price points!) that simply does not exist in the Orlando area unless you (like me) love theme parks 24/7 or frequent the Space Center.

Just something I wish more people would consider when they consider the DLR/WDW value proposition. After all, you wouldn't fly to any of the international parks without dedicating any time to the fabulous cities, regions, and countries they're a part of, would you?

Well said and I completely agree.
We live smack-dab in the middle of the country...KANSAS!
We go to both WDW and DL, but DL is our "home" park. But I strongly agree that DL should be a part of your trip to SoCal, not the sole reason for going. If 100% Disney for a full week is your goal, WDW is a much better way to go. We have a time-share in Anaheim (not DVC) and we usually spend 3 days at DL/DCA and the rest of the time doing other SoCal stuff (Knott's, Beach, Solvang, ATV riding, etc)

You'll love it. But you will find yourself thinking you didn't plan enough. You did, you did. :rotfl:

And get a churro! I cannot express that enough to WDW folks. To me, being at DLR includes a warm perfect churro. I won't get them at WDW, just not the same.
Love this thread! And, we need “just get the churro” tshirts! :daisy:

I love both (thank you, Premiere Pass), but I agree that last minute, short trip: Disneyland. Longer and full immersion in bubble: Disney World. Weather: almost always better at Disneyland. But for the size, scale, magic: go to Florida

I definitely get that but I think it depends on your outlook and expectations. My husband and I haven't been able to do a long trip to WDW at all yet but we've been able to squeeze in a long weekend a few times. (One time we went for a full week to orlando but were only able to budget a few park days, though we enjoyed other things like resort hopping). If you're a disney fan and know you're going to be back every year or so, I think it can be easy to just enjoy the parks casually and not feel like you have to do everything - because you know you'll be back. It's different then those folks who do that big once-in-a-lifetime trip. When we've gone for long weekends we never get a park hopper and often do things last minute and can't make good fast passes but still have great time just being there!

I definitely get that but I think it depends on your outlook and expectations. My husband and I haven't been able to do a long trip to WDW at all yet but we've been able to squeeze in a long weekend a few times. (One time we went for a full week to orlando but were only able to budget a few park days, though we enjoyed other things like resort hopping). If you're a disney fan and know you're going to be back every year or so, I think it can be easy to just enjoy the parks casually and not feel like you have to do everything - because you know you'll be back. It's different then those folks who do that big once-in-a-lifetime trip. When we've gone for long weekends we never get a park hopper and often do things last minute and can't make good fast passes but still have great time just being there!

Of course. Much of this depends on the type of trip or traveler you are. Forgetting logistics of travel time and cost to get to either park from where an individual lives, if someone has one day at either WDW or DL, I have a hard time seeing why anyone would choose WDW besides the fact that they absolutely have to experience one attraction that only WDW has (such as Everest or Flight of Passage) and that is all that really matters to them. There's just so much more value in Disneyland for the short trip and park experience. IMO, people who think WDW is better in this respect are, in most cases, just used to their "home" park and the logistics that go with it.*

* I am not saying DL is perfect and that WDW doesn't have some great aspects to it. Simply that WDW is much more of a giant pain to experience multiple big park attractions in a few days versus DL.

Disneyland is great! But if you have the time and money maybe postpone to 2022 and go to WDW in 2021. If you're a big fan it's the 50th anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter