Disneyland in the rain

dizneygirl

Earning My Ears
Hello,
We will be at Disneyland this week from Wednesday 3/15-Friday 3/17. There is a slight chance of rain on Friday. How bad is it for kids (4 & 2) when it rains? Does anyone have suggestions on anything else we can do besides bring raincoats and umbrellas just in case? When it rains do they still have the parades and fireworks shows or do they cancel everything? Any info anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dizneygirl pirate:

When it rains most often they do cancel the parade and fireworks. I'd guess that if it quit raining by firework time they might still have them though.

As for keeping dry - we bought ponchos at the dollar tree (2 in a package for $1). They are tiny and could fit in a pocket easily. We slipped them on for the rain and threw them away before we left for the day. Of course, you can always buy the Disney ponchos but those are something like $5 each.

It rained on us once when we were there. The best thing to do is find the dry places. We were in California Adventure so went to Aladdin, which is an AWESOME show by the way, Turtle Talk with Crush, Animation, Playhouse Disney, etc. This way we could minimize the time spent outside getting wet. Hope that helps.

Do you have a double stroller? I had a side by side when my kids were little and it was a lifesaver in the rain! Others complain about the double stroller but when you brave the park alone with 2 small kids, it is a necessity. A lot of rides close when it rains but you can visit Mickey at his house, Minnie at her house, go on the dark rides if the kids tolerate that, we liked Pirates, climbed Donald's boat, Goofy's bounce house is now a play area, part of which is indoors, we watched the shows, played in Toontown's post office (you can spent at least 15 minutes messing with the knobs on the post office boxes), say Hi to Stich in Innoventions, see Honey I Shrunk the Audience, watch them make candy in Main Street and Pooh's Corner, go on the "Pooh Bear ride", eat at a character meal and go shopping! Sounds like a full day to me. Let it rain!

Oh, and they cancel the fireworks and if it rains during set-up they cancel Fantasmic! but my kids were always asleep at that time anyway. They change Parade of Dreams into the "Calvacade" sp? which is just a bunch of characters smooshed on a float like a bus. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't remember very well but the characters kind of stick out of a vehicle. You don't want to sit on wet ground or benches anyway so it is not a loss. You will have fun anyway! Rain is a blessing because the ones who stick around are happy Disney fans and I would trade fireworks, Fantasmic!, parades, outdoor rides for being surrounded by happy people any day.

We were at DCA in the rain yesterday. The crowds were WAY down. The kids loved riding something and getting back in line for a second trip in a few minutes. The block party parade was cancelled, but we didn't care. I suggest ponchos over a raincoat because they are bigger and keep your bum dry when you sit on rides. I brought a hand towel to wipe down rides and benches. I also packed everything in gallon ziploc bags inside our backpacks. The kids brought their autograph books and we really didn't want those wet. No crowds, so we had a great chat with Cinderella and Woody after the animation show. Not sure if you have little kids, but I suggest Playhouse Disney show early in the day. You sit on the floor. I wouldn't want to sit on that carpet after a day of wet shoes have been walking on it. Whenever we saw dark clouds, we opted for an inside ride. We dodged a rain shower with Aladdin show and another with Soaring Over California. :)

we were on dumbo one day when it was raining. and when the ride is going, it feels more like the rain is pelting us! it was fun still.

DisQueen said:
We were at DCA in the rain yesterday. The crowds were WAY down. The kids loved riding something and getting back in line for a second trip in a few minutes. The block party parade was cancelled, but we didn't care. I suggest ponchos over a raincoat because they are bigger and keep your bum dry when you sit on rides. I brought a hand towel to wipe down rides and benches. I also packed everything in gallon ziploc bags inside our backpacks. The kids brought their autograph books and we really didn't want those wet. No crowds, so we had a great chat with Cinderella and Woody after the animation show. Not sure if you have little kids, but I suggest Playhouse Disney show early in the day. You sit on the floor. I wouldn't want to sit on that carpet after a day of wet shoes have been walking on it. Whenever we saw dark clouds, we opted for an inside ride. We dodged a rain shower with Aladdin show and another with Soaring Over California. :)
Yikes! You went this weekend in the rain?! Normally I wouldn't mind being out in the rain so much, but it was COLD this weekend, especially for southern California. It actually hailed in the inland empire, and I thought I heard that it snowed in some parts of LA.

I don't think a lot of rides close - I think when we were there in a downpour they only closed the Teacups and Thunder Mountain.... maybe the Matterhorn and Tom Sawyer's Island as well - can't remember. Most of the rides are inside anyway - and a good portion of the lines have overhead cover.
The BEST day we had on a 4 day trip was the rainy day! The crowds absolutely emptied, we felt like we had the park to ourselves! We had parkas - and when the kids were in their stroller - the parka was big enough to completely cover them - they barely got wet at all. And when we wanted to get out of the rain - we went to shows and indoor attractions like Innoventions. In fact - every trip now we save Innoventions for when the rain is expected!
You won't have any problems - that rainy trip was when our kids were 2 and 1. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for your replies! It sounds like things are going to be just fine. We will have had 2 full days of Disneyland/DCA by Friday if it does rain so all of your suggestions sound awesome!! I am looking forward to taking my daughter to see the Aladdin show. I know she'll love it!! Thanks again!
Dizneygirl :wizard:

My best advice!! Bring something to cover the stroller when you are inside somewhere. They usually make you park it somewhere when you get in a line and it gets wet. Its not fun to come out to everything in the stroller wet. I learned this at WDW when I took my grandkids.

From experience, I'd avoid Autopia in the rain. They didn't close it down when we were there and it seemed like a good idea as we were in the area and there was no wait :teeth: . We got on when it was only drizzling and it didn't seem too bad, however, by the end of the driving course it was pouring and they lined our cars up and wouldn't let us advance to the exit until they'd moved other cars out of the way (this they seemed to do by trying to attract others to come on the ride and when they'd drive forward, they'd allow another driver to exit :confused3 . ) We must have sat for 15 minutes in the rain and, though we had rain coats we were soaked! It was still a great day at Disneyland, though! :thumbsup2

Yeah, we were a little on the insane side. Actually, it rained before we arrived, but had stopped by 9:45. We had our fleece jackets and sock hats. Not my usual Disney attire, but it was an adventure :) I think it was easier to visit DCA than DL - more inside attractions and we weren't trying to hunt down princesses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter