Disneyland Newbie-Can you help?

SamIAm21

Mickey's #1 Fan
I am a Disneyland newbie and I am hoping I can get some solid opinions on what are some good motels there on Harbor Drive. I have looked on Yahoo, Hotels.com and most hotels look fine, but I'm not sure. You read so much good and bad you get confused. I am interested in Best Western Anaheim, Candy Cane Resort, and the HO-JO.

I wouldn't bother with these at all except the days I want to go are the same week as the POTC Premier at DL. June 21-24 and the Disney hotels are quite pricey. I was hoping to stay at Paradise Pier, but it's pretty high that week.

This would be a surprise birthday trip for my daughter who is 5. princess:

Thanks very much in advance!!

Have you had a chance to read the "sticky" thread by Mary Jo, on the good neighbor hotels?

The best one IMHO is Best Western Park Place Inn. It is very close and very well managed. Have also read about a lot of people staying @ Candy Cane.

Be aware that any other Best Western is on the "back side" of the resort, not on the Harbor Blvd. side. Make sure you check maps :thumbsup2

Of course not because I never look before I leap, DOH!! Thanks for pointing that out! I love the photo map too! Thanks Judy.

My mom always said, if it had teeth, it would have bit ya! :rotfl:

We stayed at the HoJo last year. We LOVED it. The ONLY downside was the walk back to the hotel at the end of the day. I'm pretty out of shape and I could handle it. However, it was torture passing all of the 'closer' hotels on the way back to ours.

Also, if you get a park view room, you can stand on your private balcony and watch the fireworks in the park. Our room was directly across from the Matterhorn and we had a fantastic view.

The pool is wonderful (two big pools, a kiddie pool and a splash area for the kids), there is an incredibly well stocked sundries store at the entrance, you pass by McD's and all of the other restaurants on the way back to your hotel (if you want to pick up something on the way back), the front desk has fliers of what restaurants deliver, the rooms are from an inside hallway and the rooms are huge.

I have also heard fantastic things about CCI but I have never stayed there. I wouldn't hesitate staying at the HoJo or rec. it to anyone. Just be sure to ask for a room that does not back up to the freeway - I've heard that can be noisy.

No problem :) , It is hard to ask that question without sounding mean or impatient.....but i really want people to read the great thread, and mean it sincerly!

I'd probably stay at whichever I could get cheapest. I've never been able to find a good rate for either of the Best Westerns right there on HArbor, across from the entrance.

The above poster is right, the Hojo's is a bit further and you do pass a few hotels and on the way home after a long day it can feel like a long walk. But, my daughter loved the pool so much it was worth the walk. The little kids splash/wading pool area is fantastic. They also have a great hot tub. The one drawback is no continental breakfast. Overall I really like Hojo's and would stay there again.

DH and I are staying at the Desert Inn and Suites, which is next door to the BWPPI, and about as close to DL as you can get without staying on-site. We haven't stayed there yet, but it gets good reviews and for the dates we are going, it's $59 a night vs. BWPPI's rate of $89. You may want to add that to your list of potential hotels.

There is a Fairfield Inn on Harbor Bl. Just across from DL. Our friends stay there when they come from Denver. They really like it. :thumbsup2

I have stayed in what I believe was the Holiday Inn right at the corner of Ball and Harber. They have the trolley bus shuttle that takes you to and from DL. We had a nice room, that was 2 years ago.

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up taking the HO-JO for three nights, June 7 through the 10th. I can't wait!!

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!! princess:

I'm sorry...we are still playing around with what hotel to go to also.

Is HoJo the name of the hotel, or is that short for something. I am thinking it is short for something, and when someone tells me what I'll be like "Oh dough!" lol Thanks in advance!

colaz said:
I'm sorry...we are still playing around with what hotel to go to also.

Is HoJo the name of the hotel, or is that short for something. I am thinking it is short for something, and when someone tells me what I'll be like "Oh dough!" lol Thanks in advance!

Hojo is short for Howard Johnson (doh!)

We stayed at the candy cane this month. I cant say enough good things about it. The shuttle is wonderful and runs every 1/2 hour. Its only for the CCI guests. If it is full, they add extra runs rather then making you wait the 1/2 hour. It is about the same distance to walk from the CCI as hojo's- but with the shuttle for back up if you dont want to walk the 10 minutes. The breakfast is a good way to start the day, and save a little money. The rooms were nicely decorated, and the beds are super comfy! (new pillow top matteresses) . The regular rooms are a bit small, and lack for storage space- that was our only complaint.

I'm going back in May with two friends. We'll be staying at the CCI unless I can get a really good a/p rate on site. We are also planning a trip back next spring and will stay there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter