Disneyland podcast?

@The Loop which other ones have you found? It's been several weeks without content and I am trying to help a friend plan a trip for March and I feel completely out of the loop.
See what I did?

I really loved this podcast and the group... I'm not sure I'll be tuning in to a new group and new focus. I was also very irritated that they have done nothing to let their listeners know about this - making it feel like they have zero interest or concern for any of us who have been listening every week for years. I thought something had gone wrong with my app or my iTunes. Really very rude of the DIS Unplugged Team - who could still chime in and give a response here but have still chosen not to do so.

I loved all the other SoCal stuff. Disneyland is a much smaller park than WDW (I know same number of rides, but I mean not nearly as many resorts and activities and character meals and such), and it has a ton of local visitors too. We want to know about all the area stuff that we can combine with our Disneyland trips. The podcast is naturally very different from the WDW one (which I rarely listen to, even when I have an upcoming WDW trip planned- I do not enjoy their weekly podcasts like I do the Disneyland team) because they are very, very different parks and different ways of planning vacations. Who comes to Anaheim from say, the East Coast, and does nothing else in SoCal??? Hardly anyone. This podcast allowed you to plan your whole trip.

Overall, I'm super bummed.

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say but I was wasting time trying to be eloquent.
It's ridiculous the only announcement was on a random Daily Fix. The chance of seeing it was next to zero. It's hard not to feel like our fan base doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Thanks for saying what I wanted to say but I was wasting time trying to be eloquent.
It's ridiculous the only announcement was on a random Daily Fix. The chance of seeing it was next to zero. It hard not to feel like our fan base doesn't matter.

Exactly. Hopefully, they are going for a whole different listener base because they have really turned me off with this. It's like when your favorite radio station gets bought out and they switch the DJs and the music style overnight. You stop tuning in because clearly they aren't interested in keeping you around- they have decided to go in a new direction and create a new fanbase. Same thing with podcasts except with such specialized content, they don't have that many new fans hanging around looking for it.

One more thing... just before Tyler came to work for the Dis he guested on the DL show. He was working for a Universal blog and they introduced him as such. On the show, he mentioned his team was merging with a Florida based podcast to expand their content and talking about his new projects. This is awhile ago so my memory may be faulty. Then I was confused when he started at the Dis.
For the life of me, I can't find it but now I would love to relisten to what he was saying. It might answer some of our questions.
Does anyone else remember that episode? It had to be 6 months ago. It's hazy but... I know there was a conversation.

Last edited:

I'll have to wait and see too, I hope they don't fix something that isn't broke too much. In the meantime I've been checking out some other Disneyland podcasts and I have found a couple that are decent, so at the least this forced me to expand my horizons.
The DIS Unplugged has been my favorite Disneyland podcast, but Mousetalgia is a close second. The four-person panel typically has interesting guests and quirky segments. For example, they interviewed the creator of a Pixar pop-up book, and the discussion intrigued me so much that I ordered the book as soon as the podcast ended.

@The Loop which other ones have you found? It's been several weeks without content and I am trying to help a friend plan a trip for March and I feel completely out of the loop.
See what I did?

Disneyland Weekly - This one looks rather new (they are on episode 15) but it has a lot of promise
Leavingtoday podcast - Not liking this one, didn't make it through an episode
Mousetalgia! - I have listened to this one before, they are nearing episode 500 and have the guy from doombuggies.com, solid show
The Sweep Spot - Hard for me to get into with their voices, but it is hosted by two former Disneyland custodians so that is something
"All Aboard!!!" The Disneyland Raiload - It drove me nuts because the hosts were in different stereo channels so it sounded weird on my headphones

Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your comments. I'm not sure about the other podcasters, but I have been reading them and appreciate the input.

In response to the team being rude comment, I can only speak for myself, but I think that it was announced on the Daily Fix and maybe on the main show that the Disneyland Edition would be on hiatus. Knowing the team that manages all of the podcasts, I know their commitment is to put the best out there. While they work on re-imagining the Disneyland show it's been stated a few times on the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition Facebook page that the show is on hiatus while it's been restructured. I don't know what else the Disneyland team could have stated. We do not know what changes are going to be made, and that's okay.

When the decisions are made and the re-imagined show put in place I'm sure everyone will be notified on the main show, the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition Facebook page, and maybe the Daily Fix.

Thanks, again.

It's ridiculous the only announcement was on a random Daily Fix. The chance of seeing it was next to zero. It's hard not to feel like our fan base doesn't matter.

Did Pete not say something on the first show of the year that the Disneyland show was on hiatus?

And they even commented on the youtube video of last week's episode when someone asked about it.

Did Pete not say something on the first show of the year that the Disneyland show was on hiatus?

And they even commented on the youtube video of last week's episode when someone asked about it.

No, Pete didn't address then, it was announced on the daily fix Jan 8th. I believe John hosted the main show that week so nothing was explained then either. Has Pete hosted a show since Jan 2nd?
And a YouTube response to a comment on one of hundreds of video?! Come on, that's a needle in a haystack.
Again, I go back to when Dispop went into a similar extended hiatus stating it was being reimagined. It's not even just that the podcast is gone the content from the DL team is gone. So whatever comes will be very different.
I would love to see a DL show by DL fans for the DL fan. It's just my input, but it feels very much like that is not what's happening since no input is being taken by fans or the DL team since they are equally in the dark.
And I am just tired, so let's put the cards on the table, who genuinely thinks DisPop will ever return full time at this point?
I am sorry to say, I don't.

I can understand the desire to grow and improve. Everyone wants to feel like they are progressing. The trick is to make changes without losing your current fan base and loyal listeners.

I know I will stick with the podcast if the DL core team is left intact. I have a feeling that they are moving to video which I don’t particularly enjoy. For me the whole purpose of a podcast is that it’s something to listen to while you’re driving or doing other things. I don’t have time to watch 1-2 hours of a video broadcast of a podcast. The main reason that I stopped listening to the WDW DisUnplugged podcast is that I find it annoying to miss whole sections because I can’t see what’s happening. Tom and his team help you to visualize whatever they are talking about with their descriptions and their verbal dialogue.

The DL team are really quite good at what they do. I think their friendly banter helps the listener to feel part of the Dis community and I love their passion and expertise. I would place them in my top three favorite podcasts. I think that many of us hope that they are recognized for the great work that they already do! I’m loyal enough that I will try to endure the video format if that’s what they end up doing.

FYI - Pete just addressed this at the beginning of today's DISUnplugged show:

The Disneyland Podcast IS coming back! Not set date but *soon*

The show IS going to VIDEO!

Tom is busy with other things that need to be taking care of first so that is why the hiatus has been a little longer

But I want to keep the conspiracies going and moan about how rude they are to not give us up-to-the-minute info on the show.

I haven't watched today's show yet ... are they building a studio at Tom's house and making everyone travel to Fresno for the show? (Also, is this being done in response to that time that Tony joined the show from Tom's driveway?)
My guess is it will be in the style of using Skype or Google Hangout to broadcast to YouTube with a HD webcam. A few other podcasts I watch use this style.

My guess is it will be in the style of using Skype or Google Hangout to broadcast to YouTube with a HD webcam. A few other podcasts I watch use this style.

Yes! We will all have to manage expectations here... Watching the recent 'Attractions Magazine' live show made me realize what great quality the DisUnplugged is. However - Pete has put solid money into a professional switcher (looks to be a BlackMagic ME1) and online shows aren't going to be at that level. Wirecast can do some amazing stuff, but not studio quality yet...

Hi guys,

Thank you for all of your comments. I'm not sure about the other podcasters, but I have been reading them and appreciate the input.

In response to the team being rude comment, I can only speak for myself, but I think that it was announced on the Daily Fix and maybe on the main show that the Disneyland Edition would be on hiatus. Knowing the team that manages all of the podcasts, I know their commitment is to put the best out there. While they work on re-imagining the Disneyland show it's been stated a few times on the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition Facebook page that the show is on hiatus while it's been restructured. I don't know what else the Disneyland team could have stated. We do not know what changes are going to be made, and that's okay.

When the decisions are made and the re-imagined show put in place I'm sure everyone will be notified on the main show, the DIS Unplugged Disneyland Edition Facebook page, and maybe the Daily Fix.

Thanks, again.

Thanks so much for your response, Mary Jo. I was the one who said it was rude and inconsiderate to the fans of the podcast. I don't listen to the Daily Fix (I have no idea what that even is). I don't listen to any other Dis podcasts. I checked the Disneyland Edition facebook page a couple times and didn't see anything about a hiatus. If it was there, it might have been buried in other posts. Honestly, the continued posts on the facebook page only made me more convinced something was wrong on my side. I deleted and re-subscribed a few times thinking my app was being wonky.

The right thing to do would have been to 1) announce it on the last show or 2) upload a one or two minute podcast (any of the leadership could have done this) saying the show was on a break and would return at a later date. Other podcasts announce when they are taking breaks- they don't expect listeners to figure it out from a parent podcast (that they may or may not listen to) or search the internet unless they are not concerned about their fans. ETA- They also could have pinned a statement on the facebook page so it would appear at the top.

I realize this likely wasn't your decision, so I appreciate all the more your response. It would be nice if the actual decision makers would share a response to the listeners, but like has been said upthread, there are other podcasts to go check out. I wish you (and the rest of the Disneyland team) all the best as I have enjoyed listening to you for several years now!

And for those of us who listen to the show that was actually pulled, but not any of the other shows? I don't know what first show you mean (the Daily Fix thing hat Mary Jo mentioned???), but I don't listen to that if it's not the Disneyland edition. And I don't watch the videos- I only listen to the podcast.

There was a right way to do this, but they didn't choose it. Totally their prerogative as the creators, of course, but it was very frustrating.

And for those of us who listen to the show that was actually pulled, but not any of the other shows? I don't know what first show you mean (the Daily Fix thing hat Mary Jo mentioned???), but I don't listen to that if it's not the Disneyland edition. And I don't watch the videos- I only listen to the podcast.

There was a right way to do this, but they didn't choose it. Totally their prerogative as the creators, of course, but it was very frustrating.
The daily fix is a 5-6 minute video that the Dis team puts out every weekday hilighting the big news story of the day and a few other topics. They are also released as audio podcasts on its own feed.

The daily fix is a 5-6 minute video that the Dis team puts out every weekday hilighting the big news story of the day and a few other topics. They are also released as audio podcasts on its own feed.

Thanks! :) It doesn't sound like something I'm interested in listening to, and I wouldn't have even known to check there regarding the Disneyland podcast, either. But thanks for letting me know what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter