Disneyland Should Not Reopen Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrrArrgh

Mouseketeer
I don't think the "every other park is open" argument holds water. The international parks are open because their numbers are much better. Florida is open because their governor is making no effort to control the pandemic. I do not even believe that there's no spread from WDW because it's well known that their contact tracing is a disaster. Newsom cannot just do what other places are doing because his obligation is to the public health of our state. As many people as there are who would be happy to go back to Disneyland or go back to work, most of the state would not be going and does not work there anyway. And that significantly larger population would not be happy about him opening theme parks.

As many people as there are who would be happy to go back to Disneyland or go back to work, most of the state would not be going and does not work there anyway. And that significantly larger population would not be happy about him opening theme parks.
It's not a popularity contest. I would hope he is using facts to dictate his decisions than the number of likes he'll receive.

As for contact tracing, it is a disaster everywhere, not just in Florida. I'm guessing the 45% of asymptomatic cases are causing most of the confusion. One of the few public places contact tracers have been able to nail down as a place of transmission is restaurants, yet restaurants are open in California.

I don't envy any of these Governors. I'm sure a good number would not have thrown their name in the hat had they known this was in their future. While Newsom is one of the most strict of those Governor's his state is also among the hardest hit from an economic standpoint. There are correlations of the economy's impact on physical health. Just sayin.....

It's not a popularity contest. I would hope he is using facts to dictate his decisions than the number of likes he'll receive.

As for contact tracing, it is a disaster everywhere, not just in Florida. I'm guessing the 45% of asymptomatic cases are causing most of the confusion. One of the few public places contact tracers have been able to nail down as a place of transmission is restaurants, yet restaurants are open in California.

I don't envy any of these Governors. I'm sure a good number would not have thrown their name in the hat had they known this was in their future. While Newsom is one of the most strict of those Governor's his state is also among the hardest hit from an economic standpoint. There are correlations of the economy's impact on physical health. Just sayin.....
I mentioned the number of people who would be upset at Disneyland opening because Disney fans seem to forget that it’s not about what we want as fans. It’s about needing to protect our health; 90% of us are still vulnerable. And honestly, the privileged few taking off and theme park vacationing while hundreds of thousands die is something out of a post-apocalyptic horror movie. Clearly Newsom is following the science on this one. We just saw Arizona rates decrease by 75% when they instituted further shut downs. We have our own example of the opposite happening in California when the Governor opened up too quickly earlier this summer and we’re still dealing with the fallout from that.

Sure, indoor dining has reopened in some places in California. Is it safe? Heck no, you could not pay me to eat inside or even to do patio dining. The governor’s office just issued a warning to keep your mask on between bites of food. If you need to do that, it’s not safe and isn’t a cue to open up a giant tourist attraction.

I know for me it is sometimes hard to remember how prevalent it still is. My entire state has had fewer cases, and fewer deaths, than Orange County (and the population of our state is greater than the population of Orange County). With the low rate we're seeing, it's easy to forget that there is actually a deadly virus out there, and it's easy for outsiders to call for opening something if their only personal experience is that this is no big deal.

Given the recent information from the governor, I think we're looking at a spring 2021 opening. With that long of a close, and so much revenue lost, my concern is what it will look like when it is able to reopen, and will we ever see DL return to the way we knew it.

Last edited:

I mentioned the number of people who would be upset at Disneyland opening because Disney fans seem to forget that it’s not about what we want as fans. It’s about needing to protect our health; 90% of us are still vulnerable. And honestly, the privileged few taking off and theme park vacationing while hundreds of thousands die is something out of a post-apocalyptic horror movie. Clearly Newsom is following the science on this one. We just saw Arizona rates decrease by 75% when they instituted further shut downs. We have our own example of the opposite happening in California when the Governor opened up too quickly earlier this summer and we’re still dealing with the fallout from that.

Sure, indoor dining has reopened in some places in California. Is it safe? Heck no, you could not pay me to eat inside or even to do patio dining. The governor’s office just issued a warning to keep your mask on between bites of food. If you need to do that, it’s not safe and isn’t a cue to open up a giant tourist attraction.
I totally disagree that Newsom is solely following the science. Like it or not, the goals HAVE changed from what was originally said and promised to us. And the decisions of many governors has absolutely been political in nature. I won’t say more than that to not break board rules.

As for Newsom particularly, he has continued to change the metrics needed to be met. And with very little explanation. Our county health director has been the same. And unfortunately it’s led to a lot of non-compliance.

I am not saying we shouldn’t have restrictions. Of course we should. But they need to make sense and a lot of them don’t. There are a lot that don’t seem to have science backing them.

I totally disagree that Newsom is solely following the science. Like it or not, the goals HAVE changed from what was originally said and promised to us. And the decisions of many governors has absolutely been political in nature. I won’t say more than that to not break board rules.

As for Newsom particularly, he has continued to change the metrics needed to be met. And with very little explanation. Our county health director has been the same. And unfortunately it’s led to a lot of non-compliance.

I am not saying we shouldn’t have restrictions. Of course we should. But they need to make sense and a lot of them don’t. There are a lot that don’t seem to have science backing them.
I’m sure Newsom would love to reopen Disneyland and be the hero that gave back jobs, and provide the opportunity for a safe vacation that wouldn’t spread disease. But he can’t do that. I think it’s absolutely admirable that he’s not bowing to the corporate interests of Disney. It is bizarre to me that there are ideas out there that he’s doing this out of spite or to wreck the economy when it would be much more advantageous to his position to do the opposite.

I’m sure Newsom would love to reopen Disneyland and be the hero that gave back jobs, and provide the opportunity for a safe vacation that wouldn’t spread disease. But he can’t do that. I think it’s absolutely admirable that he’s not bowing to the corporate interests of Disney. It is bizarre to me that there are ideas out there that he’s doing this out of spite or to wreck the economy when it would be much more advantageous to his position to do the opposite.
I don’t think it’s out of spite at all. I do believe there are political reasons that unfortunately would violate board rules if brought up.

Again, in my opinion, there are major flaws in the tiered system he’s presented, and I’m not just talking about theme parks, so I don’t believe it’s all following the science. Some, yes. But not all. But we can agree to disagree on that.

But can I ask your opinion - are rides the sole dangerous part of this equation? Because Knotts has basically been open without the rides. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has been open without the rides. Downtown Disney has had indoor dining and shopping open. Disney could do the food & wine festivals if they wanted. Their hotels can open if they want. I guess I fail to see how opening the parks when they get to the Orange Tier, with limited capacity and a reservation system is more dangerous (or that much different) than what’s already allowed.

I don’t think it’s out of spite at all. I do believe there are political reasons that unfortunately would violate board rules if brought up.

Again, in my opinion, there are major flaws in the tiered system he’s presented, and I’m not just talking about theme parks, so I don’t believe it’s all following the science. Some, yes. But not all. But we can agree to disagree on that.

But can I ask your opinion - are rides the sole dangerous part of this equation? Because Knotts has basically been open without the rides. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has been open without the rides. Downtown Disney has had indoor dining and shopping open. Disney could do the food & wine festivals if they wanted. Their hotels can open if they want. I guess I fail to see how opening the parks when they get to the Orange Tier, with limited capacity and a reservation system is more dangerous (or that much different) than what’s already allowed.
Okay, then I just really have no idea what those political reasons are. A lot of disgruntled Disneyland vloggers say the same thing, but to me it’s just shortsided.

No, I don’t think the rides are the only dangerous part of the equation. Rides are part of it due to the touch surfaces— the last outbreak in NZ was contact traced back to an elevator button and a trash can lid. Crowding and indoor areas are also a concern, not just for rides but also for food. People will travel for Disney much more than they will for Knotts or other parks, so spreading covid around the state is absolutely a concern the Governor has to worry about. I don’t think that’s worried about nearly so much in FL because the guests aren’t Florida’s problem.

I don’t think any of those food festivals are safe, but as far as I know, Disneyland doesn’t want to do them anyway; they want to open up rides, which would keep guests in the park coming into contact with each other all day. That’s a whole different thing than coming for a couple of hours. Travel and crowding are what I would think are the biggest issues. I don’t think Disney has shown at World that they can or will control crowding. The travel part they’re trying to control with the limitation to locals.

People will travel for Disney much more than they will for Knotts or other parks, so spreading covid around the state is absolutely a concern the Governor has to worry about. I don’t think that’s worried about nearly so much in FL because the guests aren’t Florida’s problem.

This is a good point. Do the Florida parks draw fewer in-state guests than in CA? Why? Just curious.

Okay, then I just really have no idea what those political reasons are. A lot of disgruntled Disneyland vloggers say the same thing, but to me it’s just shortsided.

If I were a politician, I would be worried that it looks bad and frivolous to allow theme parks to re-open before schools. It might look like I am caving to moneyed interests.

No, I don’t think the rides are the only dangerous part of the equation. Rides are part of it due to the touch surfaces— the last outbreak in NZ was contact traced back to an elevator button and a trash can lid. Crowding and indoor areas are also a concern, not just for rides but also for food. People will travel for Disney much more than they will for Knotts or other parks, so spreading covid around the state is absolutely a concern the Governor has to worry about. I don’t think that’s worried about nearly so much in FL because the guests aren’t Florida’s problem.

I don’t think any of those food festivals are safe, but as far as I know, Disneyland doesn’t want to do them anyway; they want to open up rides, which would keep guests in the park coming into contact with each other all day. That’s a whole different thing than coming for a couple of hours. Travel and crowding are what I would think are the biggest issues. I don’t think Disney has shown at World that they can or will control crowding. The travel part they’re trying to control with the limitation to locals.
I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Based on the bolded, we shouldn’t be going anywhere anymore. Not a store that has door handles or a touch pay pad. Or to restaurants. Or movie theaters. Zoos, aquariums. All the things that are allowed under Red. Because all are a potential spreaders with that example. But this goes back to what a previous poster said - we’ve apparently gone from mitigation here to the goal of no spread. Admirable indeed, but not possible.

I will agree Disney doesn’t want to do the food & wine festivals, although that wasn’t my point. My point was they could. The state allows it. So really the only thing left that they don’t have permission for is rides. It would seem to me that with the correct crowd control measures, Disney and the state could come to an agreement on that one. But as Newsom has said, he’s not in a hurry to make that happen.

ETA: I will disagree on travel being a factor they’re trying to mitigate. If that were true, we’d have some travel restrictions for the state. As it is, I can travel anywhere allowed by the respective location (in state and out) and come back to CA and not quarantine at all.

Well yeah, we really shouldn’t be going anywhere. Any business I’m at I try not to touch things and disenfect on my way out. But shopping for groceries is fundamentally different than a day, two, or three out at a theme park. You are constantly touching things at a theme park, constantly getting too close to people for hours. The exposure compounds and infection will happen much easier because people will forget to disinfect or get too close too many times. We actually don’t even know that Disney could do the food festivals. There may be a zoning difference that matters for opening up the parks. But either way, the rides will bring more people than just a food festival and no, I don’t think Disney will manage it. They seem not to be managing it any more at world and they just fired all their spare cast members.

As for travel, I believe we’re still under a stay at home order, so yes I think travel is a factor.

This is a good point. Do the Florida parks draw fewer in-state guests than in CA? Why? Just curious.

If I were a politician, I would be worried that it looks bad and frivolous to allow theme parks to re-open before schools. It might look like I am caving to moneyed interests.
Yes, World is mostly tourists from outside the area and state. And international visitors tend to go there rather than to land. I think FL mostly lacks the population density of California, particularly Southern California. Average incomes in CA might also be higher, or just the number of people with higher incomes might be greater.

i think opening Disneyland while the pandemic is out of control in most of California will be a bad look, whether that happens before or after schools. I would think schools would be the last thing to open, but there’s pressure statewide to get them all open ASAP. Schools can apparently open once districts have been in the red for three weeks, which is long before any rumored Disneyland opening anyway.

I did not start this thread or use the words “Disneyland should not reopen now.” Can whoever did this not post as me? I would rather you delete my posts than put words in my mouth.

Last edited:
I did not start this thread or use the words “Disneyland should not reopen now.” Can whoever did this not post as me? I would rather you delete my posts than put words in my mouth.
Your posts and the ones from others who answered were moved here from the Speculation Superthread because they did not belong there. That thread is focused on reopening. Instead of deleting these posts entirely, there were enough of them and they formed their own argument to create their own thread. You are not the only poster who feels that DLR should not be pushing so hard to reopen now. This thread gives you and those other posters a safe place to voice their opinions. No one is posting as you -- your name is under the title because your post is chronologically first in this thread.

My first post here is a direct response to a previous post in that thread. This makes it look like I came to troll Disney fans (of which I am one) by creating an inflammatory post about reopening. I did not do that.

My first post here is a direct response to a previous post in that thread. This makes it look like I came to troll Disney fans (of which I am one) by creating an inflammatory post about reopening. I did not do that.
Your first post appears to be a response to Disney's latest post from Dr. Pamela Hymel. If I thought your post made you look like a troll, I would have deleted it, not used it to start a new thread. Trolling is not allowed here. Since you are clearly unhappy with this thread, I will close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!