Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Yes for the cabins.

No for the campsites.

If you're looking for logic in Disney's position, good luck. :sad2:

Bama Ed

last time i stayed a in cabin 2018 and first time paying for parking, it has two spots in front..... of my cabin.... like who else is parking there and why if i'm not

I have a question since resort hopping is not allowed right now and I was told that without a dining reservation you cannot get in. Trails End is closed so that is not an option but son loves the fried chicken whether it is dine in or takeout. Will they let us into the parking lot so we can take the bus to the takeout place? We are staying offsite so taking a bus at TTC to get to FW and then take another bus will take forever.

last time i stayed a in cabin 2018 and first time paying for parking, it has two spots in front..... of my cabin.... like who else is parking there and why if i'm not

Well that's an easy question, Saltywardog. ::yes::

WDW allocates one car per official records to park at the cabins (you pay for it). There are not "two car spots" in front of the cabins - only one DESIGNATED car spot but you can always try to put a second vehicle in there while putting some tires off in the dirt if you want to be "that guy" or a (smaller) rental golf cart (golf carts not charged for parking but there is a plug out by the road to accomodate recharging them if you have one). Can you show me where the Cabins are designated as having "two automobile parking spots"?

That should be easy for YOU to find on official websites, no? popcorn::

@bama_ed any reports of how camping at the fort has changed under covid?

The Camping Forum https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

has the latest info and they are the best, HH! :thumbsup2

If you read the recent threads and the monthly pinned Trip Reports thread at the top, no campfire singalong but movies 4 nights a week. No masks on campsites or pool/deck but elsewhere. Trails End not working but P&J's Takeout open and some tables available to eat at at TE. Boat service to MK has been less than ideal - hopefully will get better. Not all camping loops in use so kinda quiet.

I have a question since resort hopping is not allowed right now and I was told that without a dining reservation you cannot get in. Trails End is closed so that is not an option but son loves the fried chicken whether it is dine in or takeout. Will they let us into the parking lot so we can take the bus to the takeout place? We are staying offsite so taking a bus at TTC to get to FW and then take another bus will take forever.

There are no bus transfers at TTC and haven't been for years, NLK. You can get the Fried Chicken (which I love too) from Trails End by going to their Take Out Side called P & J's Southern Takeout (for Paulette and Josephine - two Cast Members who worked at the Fort/TE for DECADES - because it is great and the customers are the best - why leave otherwise?). So you have to go to the MK (ferry, monorail, bus) and then take the Fort boat from the dock DIRECTLY down hill from the MK entrance gates to the lake (common dock with WL but WL on the left side, FW on right side).

Or transfer at other Disney theme parks to buses to get to FW (but HS, Ep, AK go to the "front" of FW and you need to transfer to a FW internal bus to go down to the Trails End/P&J area). But the MK boat drops out at the dock very close to TE/P&J.

You can get the take out (according to the Camping Forum) and eat it at the Trails End table, the TE porch tables, or the tables out towards the Fort docks. I admit I am biased because I love the Fort and its relaxed atmosphere (won't be there till October 2020). But between P&J's fried chicken (same kitchen as TE) and their Mac/cheese, there is no finer food anywhere.

Bama Ed

PS-note that P&J's takeout menu:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...d-js-southern-takeout/menus/lunch-and-dinner/

has an 8-piece fried chicken takeout meal with sides for $24 (serves 4 people easily) at $6 per person (plus drinks and tax). Past menus used to call that the "Giddyup And Go" or GAG was we affectionately called it. :goodvibes The Gag is a tremendous value at FW.

You can get the GAG as an all fried chicken breast meal for few dollars more upcharge. I have done it and have the pics/here on the DIS Camping board as proof - cuz who wants to get stuck with the chicken wing, honestly? :confused3 The cash register CM will give you paper plates and plastic knife/fork/spoons/napkins if you ask for them.

PPS - honestly a generic "Resorts" forum is not the best to ask questions about Fort Wilerness-good in some respects but not so in others. FW is very different from on-property hotels (in a good way). There is a specific forum for FW at :

https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

They/we don't bite. We've all been FW newbies....

Last edited:

WDW allocates one car per official records to park at the cabins (you pay for it). There are not "two car spots" in front of the cabins - only one DESIGNATED car spot but you can always try to put a second vehicle in there while putting some tires off in the dirt if you want to be "that guy" or a (smaller) rental golf cart (golf carts not charged for parking but there is a plug out by the road to accomodate recharging them if you have one). Can you show me where the Cabins are designated as having "two automobile parking spots"?

If you read the recent threads and the monthly pinned Trip Reports thread at the top, no campfire singalong but movies 4 nights a week. No masks on campsites or pool/deck but elsewhere. Trails End not working but P&J's Takeout open and some tables available to eat at at TE. Boat service to MK has been less than ideal - hopefully will get better. Not all camping loops in use so kinda quiet.

There are no bus transfers at TTC and haven't been for years, NLK. You can get the Fried Chicken (which I love too) from Trails End by going to their Take Out Side called P & J's Southern Takeout (for Paulette and Josephine - two Cast Members who worked at the Fort/TE for DECADES - because it is great and the customers are the best - why leave otherwise?). So you have to go to the MK (ferry, monorail, bus) and then take the Fort boat from the dock DIRECTLY down hill from the MK entrance gates to the lake (common dock with WL but WL on the left side, FW on right side).

Or transfer at other Disney theme parks to buses to get to FW (but HS, Ep, AK go to the "front" of FW and you need to transfer to a FW internal bus to go down to the Trails End/P&J area). But the MK boat drops out at the dock very close to TE/P&J.

You can get the take out (according to the Camping Forum) and eat it at the Trails End table, the TE porch tables, or the tables out towards the Fort docks. I admit I am biased because I love the Fort and its relaxed atmosphere (won't be there till October 2020). But between P&J's fried chicken (same kitchen as TE) and their Mac/cheese, there is no finer food anywhere.

Bama Ed

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/d...d-js-southern-takeout/menus/lunch-and-dinner/

has an 8-piece fried chicken takeout meal with sides for $24 (serves 4 people easily) at $6 per person (plus drinks and tax). Past menus used to call that the "Giddyup And Go" or GAG was we affectionately called it. :goodvibes The Gag is a tremendous value at FW.

You can get the GAG as an all fried chicken breast meal for few dollars more upcharge. I have done it and have the pics/here on the DIS Camping board as proof - cuz who wants to get stuck with the chicken wing, honestly? :confused3 The cash register CM will give you paper plates and plastic knife/fork/spoons/napkins if you ask for them.

PPS - honestly a generic "Resorts" forum is not the best to ask questions about Fort Wilerness-good in some respects but not so in others. FW is very different from on-property hotels (in a good way). There is a specific forum for FW at :

Thanks for info! Boat seems like best option.

clearly my statement is rhetorical since i have been.
Do you always talk down to people for no reason. omg wheel in dirt at a campground... o no!!!! KAREN CALL THE DIS POLICE
yea you can fit two cars there if you don't rent a golf cart.

Has anybody heard any recent updates about the exercise trail opening again between the campground and Wilderness Lodge? I saw a post about the signs beyond Tri Circle D indicate trespassing would result in a felony charge. Thanks for any intel.

Hi there Fort Wilderness friends
Has anyone visited the cabins recently and noticed if the 2500 loop is open?

TIA
😃

Has anybody heard any recent updates about the exercise trail opening again between the campground and Wilderness Lodge? I saw a post about the signs beyond Tri Circle D indicate trespassing would result in a felony charge. Thanks for any intel.

We've asked the same question on the Camping Board, LoveFtW. We've had a couple Camping Posters there lately.

DIS Camping Board

No one has answered "yes".

The bus lines are running from the Settlement Bus Depot to WL (and reportedly directly to MK although I have no confirm) which parallel the Exercise Trail. Since they parallel, you would think since the bus road is open, the exercise trail would be.

But I have no confirmation of that.

I will be down at the Fort in early October and if we don't get a direct answer by then, I will report in.

Bama Ed

We've asked the same question on the Camping Board, LoveFtW. We've had a couple Camping Posters there lately.

DIS Camping Board

No one has answered "yes".

The bus lines are running from the Settlement Bus Depot to WL (and reportedly directly to MK although I have no confirm) which parallel the Exercise Trail. Since they parallel, you would think since the bus road is open, the exercise trail would be.

But I have no confirmation of that.

I will be down at the Fort in early October and if we don't get a direct answer by then, I will report in.

Bama Ed
I was thinking the same exact thing about that road running along the trail. I look forward to your report and wish you the most magical time during your visit. Thank you Bama Ed!

Not sure if anyone can answer this but we have a cabin booked for Halloween for the sole purpose of seeing all of the halloween decor around the campsites. Do you think that will still happen this year? Or is it best to cancel this year and try to get something for 2021?

Not sure if anyone can answer this but we have a cabin booked for Halloween for the sole purpose of seeing all of the halloween decor around the campsites. Do you think that will still happen this year? Or is it best to cancel this year and try to get something for 2021?

Halloween is such a big deal at The Fort - and so many people come that are local or aren't even going to parks, I think it's safe to assume it will be quite busy and they certainly will be decorating as usual!

Now of course "busy" is relative, because it will depend on how many loops are open, but I'd bet the ones that are open will be pretty full.

If it were me, I'd certainly keep your plans and enjoy! I'm heading there in 2 weeks and even though it won't be "the same", I am still very excited!

You can't beat staying in a cabin at Ft. Wilderness if you're traveling with a large group. It's cheaper than a villa and you have more privacy. Just make sure you rent a golf cart (or two).

Hi All,

After many a moves this year for our family trip we finally have everything locked down for Dec 18th-Dec 24th at Ft. Wilderness Cabin. Although we have stayed a few times at Wilderness Lodge this will be out first at Ft. Wilderness. I know from others who have gone about the huge Christmas Spirit on Display at the Resort and will probably need more advice on what type of decorations are appropriate for a Cabin, but right now I'm wondering which loop I should attempt to request.

Thanks
DDFan

Last edited:
Hi All,

After many a moves this year for our family trip we finally have everything locked down for Dec 18th-Dec 24th at Ft. Wilderness Cabin. Although we have stayed a few times at Wilderness Lodge this will be out first at Ft. Wilderness. I know from others who have gone about the huge Christmas Spirit on Display at the Resort and will probably need more advice on what type of decorations are appropriate for a Cabin, but right now I'm wondering which loop I should attempt to request.

Thanks
DDFan

Hope you have a great trip! There’s a whole forum for camping at Disney World with active Fort Wilderness lovers. You may have better luck asking your question over there!

Bama Ed

Why do you say the ferry to MK has not been ideal?

Why do you say the ferry to MK has not been ideal?

There have been reports of only one boat running first thing in the morning. And with social distancing rules, the line on the dock was long enough that everyone waiting when it arrived could not board. Those folks had to wait 20+ min for the round trip return and get on the second run.

Also the big boat has its goal as getting you to MK at the stated opening time (9am for example). That's when the first run will get you there. Some days the MK opens early on Main Street and some times more like at 815am or so (see the Theme Park board) but that's 45 minutes that you miss because of the boat.

Reports are also that there has been an MK bus leaving the Settlement Bus Depot (down by Trails End) and returning there in the evenings.

I don't know how current the above info still is but we have a entire forum dedicated to Fort Wilderness on the DIS Camping Forum as noted above. You might read through some of the recent trip report postings for answers to these questions.

The Exercise Trail is/was torn up for utilities that were run to Reflections so it won't be opening any time soon.

Reports are there are several campsites already decorated for Halloween. No word yet (if any will come) on Halloween activities.

Bama Ed

PS - I don't check the Resorts Board very often (because I don't stay anywhere but FW) so don't rely on me here for rapid responses. The latest data is over on the Camping Forum.

Has anyone heard if they will allow Halloween and Christmas decorations this year?

I was planning on doing the golf cart tour but haven't heard if that will still be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter