Disney's policy about returning points due to this virus?

A company this size SHOULD already have some sort of a Disaster Relief Team or Major Disaster Plan in place. Most likely in the event of a major hurricane hitting FL or a major earthquake hitting CA which could potentially create a similar closure. They MUST HAVE considered what chaos an extended closure could create. There must be back-up plans known only to a certain few in a secret vault somewhere.:rolleyes:

I am sure there are but not sure they thought about it wiping out all 15 resorts at the same time. With some of those other emergencies, the plans could be based on actual damage to resorts taking them offline, which if damaged enough, would be simply dissolved and owners given their share of insurance,

My thought was more that the current disaster plans for what to do weren’t necessarily the best for this situation and are trying to find a way that might be better

You'd feel differently if was the end of your UY and you had a lot of points tied up in a reservation that ain't gonna happen and that you currently can't cancel and bank.

Good on you, but the point is it is nothing but the luck of the draw that it's not you. You could have just as easily been sitting in this chair. And still may be. :)

It's not completely the luck of the draw. Using points near the end of your UY has a degree of risk.

A few posters think Disney should declare the rest of Riviera Resort. That would increase inventory. Whats in it for Disney. Too many members wind up with points which expired caused by resort closures might hurt future sales. I wonder if members who want to use expired points could be charged something like $3-$7 per point? Could that recover some of the costs of declaring inventory months before sales.

Assume the lawyers could make it work. Would members be happy Disney is doing something for them or enraged they're paying twice to use their points?

<snip> It's not completely the luck of the draw. Using points near the end of your UY has a degree of risk. </snip>

It most certainly is luck of the draw. Perhaps I need to explain.

If you have a Dec UY and this happens in November instead of March, then it's you sitting in this chair instead of me if you ever want to go during Christmastime. Make sense now?

I wonder if members who want to use expired points could be charged something like $3-$7 per point? Could that recover some of the costs of declaring inventory months before sales.

Assume the lawyers could make it work. Would members be happy Disney is doing something for them or enraged they're paying twice to use their points?

No. I want the usage of points I paid for. Now I can't go on those points because they won't open the doors. That's on them, not on me. I'm not paying one red cent for the privilege of using points I already paid for with my hard-earned money the first time.

Maybe they should make everybody pay a supplement of $3-7/point for every reservation for the next x months in order to compensate everybody affected by this mess? Yeah. I like that. See how that feels?

If you have a Dec UY and this happens in November instead of March, then it's you sitting in this chair instead of me if you ever want to go during Christmastime. Make sense now?
Not completely the luck of the draw. I always thought purchasers were advised to pick a UIY that works with their anticipated use.
No. I want the usage of points I paid for. Now I can't go on those points because they won't open the doors. That's on them, not on me. I'm not paying one red cent for the privilege of using points I already paid for with my hard-earned money the first time.

Maybe they should make everybody pay a supplement of $3-7/point for every reservation for the next x months in order to compensate everybody affected by this mess? Yeah. I like that. See how that feels?

I'm not a member. The easiest thing for Disney to do is simply say nothing can be done to restore expired points without causing sigfnficant inventory issues to all members. Then quote the legal justification for saying too bad.

There is no point in Disney offering a solution which might require paying a service fee for using expired points for inventory which otherwise wouldn't be available for member booking IF it doesn't increase member satisifcation. Making everyone pay a supplement, not saying it's a bad idea, would result in some Members paying more then they are otherwise required to pay. Paying a fee to use expired points is giving you more then you are entitled to.

There really isn't a perfect solution.

Many, dare I say most, who purchased at retail from DVD were told at sale time, "This is the UY we're currently selling." and simply purchased that UY...

Look... nobody had a crystal ball and could have predicted whether something like this would happen at Easter or Christmas so that entire argument is bogus anyway.

Even if you bought a use year that coincides with your travel plans (and when I bought back in 2001 you got what they were selling) sometimes your travel plans change....kids graduate - no more school calendar....then they graduate college and get jobs....then the grandchildren come....life changes...

Many, dare I say most, who purchased at retail from DVD were told at sale time, "This is the UY we're currently selling." and simply purchased that UY...

Look... nobody had a crystal ball and could have predicted whether something like this would happen at Easter or Christmas so that entire argument is bogus anyway.

Not me. They were selling a UY which didn't fit our travel dates. We said August UY or no deal they found us an August UY. This way we travel at the start of our UK lower risk if we have to cancel.

My prediction on what will happen.

The worldwide economy is going to be in a considerable downturn following this virus. That means lots of empty rooms at high priced WDW resorts. Those rooms can easily be filled for little cost to Disney with DVC points using members. The only real cost will be cleaning. It would solve may problems, prevent redundancies and the costs implied at the hotels and various food outlets. This also prevents issues such as bad press, ill feeling from DVC members and most importantly puts more people spending money in their parks and restaurants.

If someone has a Dec UY who travels in November is at high risk of losing points, whether it’s ones own fault or the fault of something else, like a health pandemic And that trip can’t happen.

I bought 3 different UYs, and deal with 3 memberships, different banking deadlines, etc. so I could avoid traveling late in a UY. I

I agree,,..no one could have predicted this...but, to be fair, owners who travel in the last month of their UY or beyond the banking deadline do know..or they should...that doing that puts those points into a situation that increases the risk greatly that you could lose them.

The fact that DVCM has not just said...no...we won’t even consider it...which they have every right to do whether we agree or like it...tells you they DO recognize this is different and thus, trying to find a way to help.

This is not putting blame on the owner for what happened, but a reality that this type of situation will impact some and not others,

I agree,,..no one could have predicted this...but, to be fair, owners who travel in the last month of their UY or beyond the banking deadline do know..or they should...that doing that puts those points into a situation that increases the risk greatly that you could lose them.

I've seen this thrown out there numerous times related to this topic where the blame is put on the owner for booking late in the UY. The booking deadline should work both ways. I'm taking the risk of booking late in the UY. If for some reason I have to cancel, that's the risk I've taken. If something happens and DVC has to cancel, that's the risk they're taking by having the banking deadline. If it's past the banking deadline and they cancel my reservation, why is that now my problem? Both parties should take responsibility for the risk involved.

Furthermore, borrowing points is supposed to be a one-way transaction. By borrowing points, you're taking a risk that if your trip has to be cancelled and you can't use the points before the end of the UY, you'll lose them. Why aren't people who borrowed points to use at the end of a UY getting blamed for taking this risk? Oh, that's right. It's because DVC is making a special exception for these people so they don't have to worry about it.

I've seen this thrown out there numerous times related to this topic where the blame is put on the owner for booking late in the UY. The booking deadline should work both ways. I'm taking the risk of booking late in the UY. If for some reason I have to cancel, that's the risk I've taken. If something happens and DVC has to cancel, that's the risk they're taking by having the banking deadline. If it's past the banking deadline and they cancel my reservation, why is that now my problem? Both parties should take responsibility for the risk involved.

Furthermore, borrowing points is supposed to be a one-way transaction. By borrowing points, you're taking a risk that if your trip has to be cancelled and you can't use the points before the end of the UY, you'll lose them. Why aren't people who borrowed points to use at the end of a UY getting blamed for taking this risk? Oh, that's right. It's because DVC is making a special exception for these people so they don't have to worry about it.

I think that those of us that mention this are in no way playing the blame game.

But it is a reality points used at the end of the UY or past the banking deadline have a higher risk of being lost than points used during the beginning of the UY. That is simply a statement of fact,

Sending borrowed points back is NOT about the owner. It is about trying to balance the points in the 2019 UY/2020 UY, when all of a sudden you are going to have 10 to 20% of your rooms GONE,

Say there are currently 500,000 points stuck...banked 2018, 2019, and borrowed 2020. Those have to be redistributed to rooms from resort opening forward, If nothing is done with any of them, that is going to overload the system for the remainder of that time period of all those points. DVCM has a duty to try and mitigate that, if possible, via timeshare law,

First, step is to move 2020 UY back to be used for rooms when they are supposed to be used.

Next step, what to do with points beyond banking window. Not as easy to figure out so DVCM has said, give us time.

Last, what to do with expired points? Very difficult because we probably can’t legally allow them to be banked again because then we would be violating our duty next year..,but maybe we can figure something out so DVCM has said, give us time,

Emotions run high, and I’m sorry for those that are at risk, It is not your fault, it is not my fault, it is not any owners fault and it’s not DVCMs fault.

Since no one is at fault, we have to accept there will be points lost because rooms were lost. No way to magically create more room inventory within the timeshare world.

ETA: I also don’t think we are done with changes, Just because those borrowed points were put back, doesn’t mean, after they figure out the plan for the banked points, thst they won’t realize that move imbalanced 2020 as well and will put in place a suspension of banking. Meaning an owner may have gotten them back, could be forced to use or lose in 2020 UY

Last edited:

yes, our guide said they are selling August UY. This was May 2019. So, we got 2018 and 2019 points. We were and still are very new to DVC. We had rented several times before we bought our points. We used our vacation/entertainment fund to buy the points and like i mentioned before, we borrowed 2021 points for our September and December, but we used 75 points from 2019 and 125 points from 2020 and I bought 20 OTU points. I think the email they sent said if my trip gets canceled then they put the 20 OTU points in banking? I don't think that is fair though. They should refund the price i paid for those. But, if they don't refund me and they bank them for me then I guess I will just have to either upgrade my room or add a day...depends on availability.

@Sandisw, I'm not saying you personally are playing the blame game, but when people make comments that people know the risks of booking after the banking deadline so too bad, that sure seems like it's placing the fault on the owner. I don't see it that way. I wasn't taking on the risk of DVC cancelling my reservation. I was taking on the risk of having to cancel the reservation myself. Maybe that's where I went wrong, but I'm sure others would feel the same way as I do.

This is far from over and hopefully DVC by taking some time to figure everything out, they can come up with a solution that at least lessens the pain a little. I'm also curious how many points are really being impacted by all of this. For example, if a lot of people that fall into the April/June UY have already used their 2019 points or banked them into 2020, there might not be that many points that fall into this post-banking but can't use category. The bigger issue is that if this drags out for a long time, more UYs could be impacted. Although, DVC could also come out and say that starting with August UY, bank by the 31st or you risk losing the points if the resorts are still closed. At least then you would know what the risks were.

@Sandisw, I'm not saying you personally are playing the blame game, but when people make comments that people know the risks of booking after the banking deadline so too bad, that sure seems like it's placing the fault on the owner. I don't see it that way. I wasn't taking on the risk of DVC cancelling my reservation. I was taking on the risk of having to cancel the reservation myself. Maybe that's where I went wrong, but I'm sure others would feel the same way as I do.

This is far from over and hopefully DVC by taking some time to figure everything out, they can come up with a solution that at least lessens the pain a little. I'm also curious how many points are really being impacted by all of this. For example, if a lot of people that fall into the April/June UY have already used their 2019 points or banked them into 2020, there might not be that many points that fall into this post-banking but can't use category. The bigger issue is that if this drags out for a long time, more UYs could be impacted. Although, DVC could also come out and say that starting with August UY, bank by the 31st or you risk losing the points if the resorts are still closed. At least then you would know what the risks were.

I completely agree that we have a long way to go as owners to really understand and deal with the resort closures,

As you said, we don’t know what actual points are effected but DVCM does. Plus, they have to try to come up with all scenarios and decide if a plan works.

I also think that putting out the notice that banking rules apply, they are putting members on notice to not chance things if you can still bank, If the message to those with April and June UY was to allow the banking, then you would have those with an Aug UY expect too, and so on.

PS. I never take anything anyone says here personally,,,including your post! 🙂

Does anyone know what other vacation clubs or timeshares are doing?
Here was an email from Marriott, I received today. I may be taking it out of context, since I do not own Marriott points, but am a member of their loyalty program, which is why I think I was on the email list. The email covered many other topics.
Points Expiration: To provide you ample time to redeem points, the expiration of points will be paused until February 2021. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

Last edited:
Here was an email from Marriott, I received today. I hope I did not take it out of context, since I do not own Marriott points, but am a member of their loyalty program, which is why I think I was on the email list. The email covered many other topics.
Points Expiration: To provide you ample time to redeem points, the expiration of points will be paused until February 2021. At that time, your points will only expire if your account has been inactive for at least 24 months.

I received that email from Marriott Rewards, which is a hotel stay loyalty program, not timeshare points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts