Disney's Polynesian Village Resort Renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rteetz

DIS Veteran
I figured a catch all thread for this project would be helpful.

Beginning in October 2020 the Polynesian Village Resort is set to see a large scale renovation. The main hotel side of the resort will remain closed and unable to book through Summer 2021. The DVC side is open and will remain open through this project.

The biggest change as seen in the photo above will be the main entrance. There will significant changes to the front entrance, and monorail station of the resort.

From the Disney Parks Blog

"One of the biggest changes will greet you right up front – a new porte cochere will showcase the iconic mid-20th century architecture the Polynesian is famous for. Our team from Walt Disney Imagineering and Walt Disney World have crafted a design inspired by colors, patterns and textures found throughout the resort. This new entry features a high-pitched, open-truss roof covered in a thatch style. There’s also a bold façade that features pops of color complementing the Longhouses found throughout the resort. Along the Monorail station, bold new wooden screens will be covered with geometric patterns in bright, tropical colors that complete an exciting new composition that will greet you when you arrive."

Also during this time access to the Grand Ceremonial House will be limited. Shopping and dining offerings will remain open but could see interruptions. The check in area will be temporarily moved to Pagu Pagu (The DVC portion) while renovations are made.

The monorail station at the resort will be closed starting in November as well. Guests can walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to access the monorail or bus service will be provided.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-coming-to-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-coming-to-disneys-polynesian-village-resort/
https://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney...lage-resort-monorail-service-closure-delayed/
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...ian-village-resort-delayed-until-summer-2021/
Great Ceremonial House Crossbeam Removal Begins This Week at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

Great Ceremonial House Crossbeam Removal Underway at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

I know they have started taking down some of that center cross bean, and I guess I never noticed that in the concept art it is only gone on one side - feels like it looks very unbalanced and curious as to the reasoning behind this change

I know they have started taking down some of that center cross bean, and I guess I never noticed that in the concept art it is only gone on one side - feels like it looks very unbalanced and curious as to the reasoning behind this change
That is true. That may just be the case on that side though. It may look balanced when viewing from the back.

Hmmm, wonder if removing the crossbeams is a weight saving measure? Might need the extra load for added elements...

Didn't know they were taking them ALL down. The rendering seems to show several back up though. I wonder what the difference is?
I believe they are replacing it. I’ve heard there were some structural concerns with it. It is nearing 50 years of age with little to no change.

A small note from our recent trip to the Poly. As I was walking by the temporary front desk in Pago Pago I commented that the uneven stone floor was tricky for me to walk on with my cane. The CM said they would be getting it replaced with carpet.

Last edited:
A small note from our recent trip to the Poly. As I was walking by the temporary front desk in Pago Pago I commented that the uneven stone floor was tricky for me to walk on with my cane. The CM said they would be getting it replaced with carpet.

Ugh. I hope you mean they are doing that in Pago Pago and not in the Great Ceremonial House.

Last edited:
When we were there one of the two elevators was walled off and being worked on in the Great Ceremonial House.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!