Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside Review

Wow, thank you so much for your review. I enjoyed reading it and appreciate your honesty. We are planning on staying here next summer. The last time I stayed here it was called Dixie Landings, so a long time ago! I’m even more excited to stay here now. I was thinking about staying in the mansions, and since reading your review, I’m going to definitely request that area now.

I am so glad that you enjoyed it! Wow, it has been a while have so much fun and soak it all in! Mansions are, by far, my favorite.

Yes, although I enjoy both resorts, I prefer the grounds of Riverside. I like that the buildings are around the river, especially the mansions, and it seems a bit more relaxing than FQ which is more compact, buildings closer together. But some like that about pofq.

I think that relaxing aspect is what draws us to Riverside. I think it is a better resort, where FQ is a better hotel.

I guess a grey area. It is QS, but different than QS in parks or resorts.
Yeah, I know their category but their food served isn't the same. All the other QS serve the same burger patty, same product, different name stuck on it. Sort of how they all serve pretty much the same pizza. But Blaze isn't remotely the same. I don't think anything in DS compares to what's in the parks. Thankfully, as far as the QS goes, it's all better

Any suggestions on whether the Boathouse or the QS is better / worth it?
The Boathouse at DS compared to the QS at POR? Really no comparison in my mind. QS is still QS and while it's good it's not TS quality. No service either

If you have time for a table service meal, I find Boatwright's to have good food and atmosphere. As others have said, the POR QS is often understaffed, although I do like their food options compared to many of the other QS options at WDW.

Hi everyone! We are headed down for Christmas/New Years week (I know crazy), we are a family of 5, I have a couple questions-
- what is the best building to request when thinking about using Disney transportation?
- does the mattress on the murphy bed come off? (my 10 yr old may want it on the floor instead)

Hi everyone! We are headed down for Christmas/New Years week (I know crazy), we are a family of 5, I have a couple questions-
- what is the best building to request when thinking about using Disney transportation?
- does the mattress on the murphy bed come off? (my 10 yr old may want it on the floor instead)
You would probably find this thread helpful. IT's the detailed POR thread for all the Q&A stuff
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...ort-information-and-questions-thread.3374035/
There are multiple bus stops at POR so there isn't a "best" building really
DGD slept in the trundle and loved it so we didn't try to take it off but I'm sure the mattress would come off. It's not fixed to the bed.

I like Boarwrights well enough that I have walked from FQ just to eat there. FQ really needs a TS place but oh well.

Not sure why the name was changed but we were frequent guests at Dixie Landings > now Port Orleans Riverside. This trip report is very well written and we appreciate your advice. One thing we always enjoyed was the food court area where my family could always get what they wanted. The grounds are done up with that "old south" mansion feel and it is a real asset to be close to the Disney Springs shopping. One thing I remember were the details imprinted into the sidewalks top surfaces.
We haven't been back to this resort in awhile since our son became a Grand Floridian DVC member but overall PO-R is reasonably priced resort

I really appreciate your review and photography. We chose POR after months of deliberation. I have stayed at BC, POP and CBR in the past. It is just DH and I and he was part of the decision making process. We have been to New Orleans and stayed in the French Quarter and also driven all around the various bayous in the area. Our choice was Alligator Bayou in a Preferred Room. Port Orleans FQ just said "gaudy" to us. The Food Court Alone creeped me out. I am not a "princess fan" so paying extra for a Royal room was out. I did like the Mansions other rooms but in the end, our love of natural beauty won out. I am looking forward to the laid back pace and exploring the grounds, especially at night. We will also be eating at Boatwrights. Thanks for the review of the Etoufee. We won't bother.

I've been stressing about the bus situation but I think we will be okay. We will use mostly the West and South Depot.

Again, thank you for your review.

Not sure why the name was changed but we were frequent guests at Dixie Landings > now Port Orleans Riverside. This trip report is very well written and we appreciate your advice. One thing we always enjoyed was the food court area where my family could always get what they wanted. The grounds are done up with that "old south" mansion feel and it is a real asset to be close to the Disney Springs shopping. One thing I remember were the details imprinted into the sidewalks top surfaces.
We haven't been back to this resort in awhile since our son became a Grand Floridian DVC member but overall PO-R is reasonably priced resort

Thank you for your feedback! I would always find it hard to stay anywhere other than GF if I was a member there so I totally get it! :)

I really appreciate your review and photography. We chose POR after months of deliberation. I have stayed at BC, POP and CBR in the past. It is just DH and I and he was part of the decision making process. We have been to New Orleans and stayed in the French Quarter and also driven all around the various bayous in the area. Our choice was Alligator Bayou in a Preferred Room. Port Orleans FQ just said "gaudy" to us. The Food Court Alone creeped me out. I am not a "princess fan" so paying extra for a Royal room was out. I did like the Mansions other rooms but in the end, our love of natural beauty won out. I am looking forward to the laid back pace and exploring the grounds, especially at night. We will also be eating at Boatwrights. Thanks for the review of the Etoufee. We won't bother.

I've been stressing about the bus situation but I think we will be okay. We will use mostly the West and South Depot.

Again, thank you for your review.

Thank you for that feedback! I am happy to help! :)

I really, really love this resort. For my wife and I, it has everything. She is a massive princess fan so she could stay in that room all the time. I enjoy the other aspects of the resort more than enough to make it a worthwhile stop for us. We are planning a trip for November/ December 2018 and we are most likely going to end up at Riverside (pending free dining).

The buses were not terrible for us. We usually were on one of the first buses out in the morning and we wanted to grab coffee so we went to the main building. The problem was late at night when we were ready to rest our aching feet.

I would love to hear about your experience once you get back!

This thread has been quiet but I hope you or other recent guests will issue a follow-up report on the Riverside part for your next trip. This place is big and I do recall not liking the bus wait but it seems that is was best to catch the bus in the front of the main building. We were last there in 2009 so much could have changed.

I’ll be there in a few weeks! Booked last June so seems like I’ve waited forever but suitcase almost packed, haircut booked and ready to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!