Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Someone posted POR now has “woods” view. What woods :confused3 I looked on WDW and sure enough, woods view is there. Did they just decide to re-name garden view? Seems kinda silly. WL has woods, POR, not so much lol. Wonder who’s bright idea that was!

Someone posted POR now has “woods” view. What woods :confused3 I looked on WDW and sure enough, woods view is there. Did they just decide to re-name garden view? Seems kinda silly. WL has woods, POR, not so much lol. Wonder who’s bright idea that was!
I just saw that. Seems like they replaced the garden view with woods view. I would say it's a better description especially in AB.

I just saw that. Seems like they replaced the garden view with woods view. I would say it's a better description especially in AB.
Not so much with mansions though. They’re all gardens for that particular category not woods. So woods would be pretty inaccurate for this section.

Not so much with mansions though. They’re all gardens for that particular category not woods. So woods would be pretty inaccurate for this section.

Agreed. I assume they changed it because people were booking 'Garden' views and were not happy to be given a view of woodsy trees and bayou creeks. However I suspect they've now just created the opposite problem, and people booking for a backwater woodsy location won't be happy to be overlooking a large formal courtyard with paths and a fountain.

They seem to have improved the photos too, and where categories could offer either AB or MB rooms they are now showing gallery photos of both room types. Unfortunately some of them got a bit confused:
  • River View can be either AB or MB, but the photos show only MB.
  • Standard View and Woods View (which are now only listed as having 2 queen beds, so they are really intending to imply MB) are showing both MB and AB rooms.
  • 5th Sleeper Standard and 5th Sleeper Woods do correctly show photos of only AB rooms though.
  • Preferred Location room photos show both AB & MB rooms, whereas they should show AB only. Also the notes still say "2 Queen Beds and 1 Child-Size Pull-Down bed, or 2 Queen Beds", which is wrong as there are no 2-queen-only options. (Unless they are creating some preferred portions in MB, anyway? But I don't think that is planned)
  • Pool View and King Bed correctly show both AB and MB.
Oh well, close but no cigar. (Which reminds me, I must do some updates to my own site too - I've got a load of photos from last trip which need cataloguing and processing)

Andre

Agreed. I assume they changed it because people were booking 'Garden' views and were not happy to be given a view of woodsy trees and bayou creeks. However I suspect they've now just created the opposite problem, and people booking for a backwater woodsy location won't be happy to be overlooking a large formal courtyard with paths and a fountain.

They seem to have improved the photos too, and where categories could offer either AB or MB rooms they are now showing gallery photos of both room types. Unfortunately some of them got a bit confused:
  • River View can be either AB or MB, but the photos show only MB.
  • Standard View and Woods View (which are now only listed as having 2 queen beds, so they are really intending to imply MB) are showing both MB and AB rooms.
  • 5th Sleeper Standard and 5th Sleeper Woods do correctly show photos of only AB rooms though.
  • Preferred Location room photos show both AB & MB rooms, whereas they should show AB only. Also the notes still say "2 Queen Beds and 1 Child-Size Pull-Down bed, or 2 Queen Beds", which is wrong as there are no 2-queen-only options. (Unless they are creating some preferred portions in MB, anyway? But I don't think that is planned)
  • Pool View and King Bed correctly show both AB and MB.
Oh well, close but no cigar. (Which reminds me, I must do some updates to my own site too - I've got a load of photos from last trip which need cataloguing and processing)

Andre
I currently have a royal room garden view booked for august do u thunk this renaming is going to change my reservation in any way now?

Hi!

We're planning a trip for late September 2021. Pretty set on Riverside at this point. We're thinking we want Alligator Bayou side. Is there a building number we should request to be close to bus depot or would we have to be on Magnolia side for that?

Thanks!

Hi!

We're planning a trip for late September 2021. Pretty set on Riverside at this point. We're thinking we want Alligator Bayou side. Is there a building number we should request to be close to bus depot or would we have to be on Magnolia side for that?

Thanks!
Do you need 5 sleeping surfaces? Just so you know the AB rooms sleep 5 and there’s now an upcharge for those rooms. And to be in the preferred section near main bus depot also costs more. From the resort map here on page 1, the other (west) depot looks like the rooms near it will be far from the resort amenities, main buildings, pool etc.
Have a look on the map and see what you think.

Do you need 5 sleeping surfaces? Just so you know the AB rooms sleep 5 and there’s now an upcharge for those rooms. And to be in the preferred section near main bus depot also costs more. From the resort map here on page 1, the other (west) depot looks like the rooms near it will be far from the resort amenities, main buildings, pool etc.
Have a look on the map and see what you think.

Do all alligator bayou rooms sleep 5? Theres only 2 of us. Some people say alligator bayou is quieter compared to the Magnolia side, any truth to that?

Do all alligator bayou rooms sleep 5? Theres only 2 of us. Some people say alligator bayou is quieter compared to the Magnolia side, any truth to that?
Yes all AB sleep 5, and to accommodate the Murphy bed takes the place of a dresser.
We‘ve always stayed in the Mansion section. With several stays and I've always found it quiet. With the exception of the neighbours from hell moving next door once on our last day. But that can happen in any room/resort. I think you have more chance of noise in the AB section with families of 5 next to you.

I just was looking into pricing a room through a travel agent who told me POR rooms are only for 4+, not 5 people. Then when I showed a screenshot of it still allowing booking on Disney's site for 5 people, was told that you now have to book 5 person rooms directly because of a "new rule due to Disney taking all the Murphy beds out of the rooms for safety reasons"
Are they removing Murphy beds? Or is this just a strange excuse from a random guy?

I just was looking into pricing a room through a travel agent who told me POR rooms are only for 4+, not 5 people. Then when I showed a screenshot of it still allowing booking on Disney's site for 5 people, was told that you now have to book 5 person rooms directly because of a "new rule due to Disney taking all the Murphy beds out of the rooms for safety reasons"
Are they removing Murphy beds? Or is this just a strange excuse from a random guy?

That's the first that I've heard of it. I've booked rooms for 5 at POR (and CBR) just recently.

That's the first that I've heard of it. I've booked rooms for 5 at POR (and CBR) just recently.
It's definitely available through Disney's site, I'm figuring this is just someone giving an odd excuse for not wanting to do complicated programming on their own booking site. It was just strange to lie about it- right? I reached out as an FYI to let them know it was a glitch to be nice and at first he told me they were 4 person rooms, then when I screenshot Disney's site for him he told me they are removing the murphy beds. I figured if it were real people here would probably know as much as he did.
I know the big online travel sites (things like expedia or travelocity) have always only booked those rooms for groups of 4 or occasionally booked and added $25 for the 3rd child. Years ago I booked and had to call Disney to get them to add our 5th person because an outside site refused to allow it.

I’m sure Andre will be around with some info about this. Was your TA a Disney specializes agent? If the info given by this agent turns out to be wrong, I’d find another agency!

It's definitely available through Disney's site, I'm figuring this is just someone giving an odd excuse for not wanting to do complicated programming on their own booking site. It was just strange to lie about it- right? I reached out as an FYI to let them know it was a glitch to be nice and at first he told me they were 4 person rooms, then when I screenshot Disney's site for him he told me they are removing the murphy beds. I figured if it were real people here would probably know as much as he did.
I know the big online travel sites (things like expedia or travelocity) have always only booked those rooms for groups of 4 or occasionally booked and added $25 for the 3rd child. Years ago I booked and had to call Disney to get them to add our 5th person because an outside site refused to allow it.

Did they try to get you to book a suite or possibly two rooms at POR or elsewhere? If so, they are probably trying to up their commission. I don't know that for sure but it is a possibility.

I don't think the Murphy beds at Port Orleans were ever removed from service like the ones at some of the other resorts. However the system has now stopped 5 x adults from booking the 5th Sleeper room categories, defining them as being available for up to 4 adults plus one child. They hadn't updated the Preferred Category (or Pool/River Views) to match last time I checked though, so you could still book 5 adults there quite recently.

Andre

Drop this travel agent and get a new one!!!! Seriously, there is too much planning with a Disney Vacation and you don't want somebody who doesn't know all the ins and outs!!!

Did they try to get you to book a suite or possibly two rooms at POR or elsewhere? If so, they are probably trying to up their commission. I don't know that for sure but it is a possibility.
Honestly that was what I expected next- but he said I should just go book directly if that's what I wanted. It was a bit odd, I was just trying to book through someone figuring I could be nice and let somebody have the commission.
I'm not complaining so much as sharing a weird experience and wondering if that whole "removing the murphy beds" thing was real. I have been living under a rock recently so either I've got a lot of company under here or he made it up. (I think making it up is probably more likely)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter