No zombies here, just 10+ years of trip reports!!!

Wednesday to relax. We went to the new ale & compass for dinner last night (formerly Captain's Grille). It is now ties with or worse than Shutters (Caribbean Beach) for worst restaurant on property. My dds ordered chicken n waffles, served bone-in, and had no flavor at all. DW is sick this morning from the ravioli dish. I had seared fish, which was then drowned in some thick, horrible, soupy, sauce. A pretentious failure.

Been a great day in MK today. Splash Mountain, BTMRR, train to Main St and Town Square Mickey.

ZXC.jpg

ZXCVB.jpg

Sadly, talking Mickey no longer talks. That was disappointing.

Dumbo
Dumbo.jpg

Cosmic Ray's for lunch, People Mover, Castle Show, and a first for us, my Godson and his sister (cousins) in HS marching band.

Rob
WP_20180607_14_39_43_Pro.jpg

Kelly
WP_20180607_14_39_50_Pro.jpg

Onto Hall of Presidents. I wonder if it will be cheers or boos for the new orange President.

Last edited:
Hall of Presidents went well. Did Country Bear Jamboree, Pirates of Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, ate at Columbia Harbour House, PhilHarmagic, Small World, and Ariel.

This trip had its issues. I had hurt my "good knee" two weeks before the trip, had a MRI Friday, and still don't know the results. I sat at home and used crutches for the last two weeks. I limped around the parks as best I could, refusing to use a scooter.

We also had the squeaky bed issue. The box spring was broken, and he had no sleep on that first night. The next day, we called housekeeping who sent someone to check right away, but the crew they sent didn't replace it. I slept on the couch bed in attempt to have a quieter night sleep. It didn't work. Another squeaky night. We guess we aren't going to have a replacement. The next day, on the way back from laundry, DW can't get down the hallway because housekeeping is changing another rooms else's mattress/ box springs. So, DW calls and emphatically repeats what I typed. When we return from the parks, a new box springs, room cleaned, extra towels, and daily trash service. Did I say it was emphatic? :furious: :lmao:

Last night, character breakfast, and then onto the beach.

We leave the Boardwalk today to drive to Vero Beach. The view from our room this trip.

WP_20180608_07_42_15_Pro.jpg

Trattoria Al Forno character breakfast was not so great. 10 minute wait past ADR time, whole section seated almost simultaneously, first few seated, 40 minutes until food arrived. Character interaction was fine with Rapunzel, Flynn, Ariel, & Eric, but lighting not great for pictures. Food average. Price expensive.

Rapunzel

WP_20180608_11_07_04_Pro.jpg

Ariel

WP_20180608_11_10_11_Pro.jpg

It was good last time before character meal, so probably not a future return. It seems like this place has has the most restaurant changes over a 10 year time frame - Spoodles, Kouzzina, Trattoria.

Last edited:

Hello from Vero Beach Resort. Last night at the Green Cabin Room.

WP_20180608_18_52_31_Pro (2).jpg

We had a blue crab spinach dip and a fig flatbread. Both were amazing, and you could really taste those feature ingredients in the dish. The mojitos and mai tai were flowing. We watched storms rolling across the ocean as well.

The view from the room this morning.

WP_20180609_08_37_28_Pro (2).jpg

We are doing the Sat AM character breakfast followed by a day of drinking on the beach. Life is good today.

Lots of changes here at Vero Beach. Sonyas, their signature restaurant, is closed, increased the size of outdoor, QS restaurant, renovated Shutters to Wind and Waves (smaller, with non- restaurant indoor patio seating), and use their convention room for buffet (catering) character meals. It was extra loud.

Goofy

part0 (4).jpg

Donald

part0 (3).jpg

Still, we had fun. After the character breakfast, we played tennis (or as best as I could hobble on my knee), swam at the pool, hung out on the beach, played Xbox video games, went to Mass off site at Holy Cross, back to eat dinner and Wind & Waves, and all just crashed since we were so tired.

This morning's plan was my girls to do a kayak on the ocean, a new activity at Vero Beach. In an ironic situation, my oldest dd - the swimmer, self-proclaimed beach junkie, and certified life guard gets queasy kayaking on the ocean. I figured it would be my younger dd that would get bored and give up. DW is afraid of the ocean, so I get a 50 minute ocean kayak opportunity this morning. It's a 2 person clear bottom boat. I saw some sea turtles, mate.

kayak.jpg

Afterwards, stayed on beach, went to pool, played mini-golf, back to beach. Mojitos for lunch. It was a great day.

Last edited:

Made it home safely from Vero Beach. Why did we drive all those years? Flight was worth every penny. I'll work on getting the photos back into the thread.

Thanks for taking us along! I don’t get on here as much as I used to, but it was good to see it pop back up in my subscriptions. :) We did the Trattoria breakfast in March and really enjoyed it. It might have helped that we were one of the first tables in our batch to be seated, so we also were served at a good pace. I think we also lucked out with a good Rapunzel, Flynn, and Ariel (I don’t really remember Eric), but those three were fun with us, which is not always the case for just two adults. We’re going to do one night at the BW before a cruise on the Fantasy in February, so we’re going to do the breakfast again that day. :)

One of these days we should definitely try Vero Beach, it looks nice!

Some final thoughts of our trip this year.

First, my knee injury was a lateral tear in the meniscus. So, now, I have partial tears in both knees. While I can have surgery, there is no guarantee and my insurance won't cover much. So, I am opting to rehab it on my own.

Second, the magic is certainly declining. The room we had at the Boardwalk had a squeaky box frame. We went to the front desk (not call system on phone) and while they sent someone quickly, they didn't replace it. The next day, the neighbors received our new box frame on the bed. Back to the front desk to complain, and they replace it the next day. But, that meant two nights of squeaky, wake you up in middle of the night sleep. And, they didn't respond immediately as in years past. The pizza at Boardwalk Pizza is bad, we couldn't get waited on at the Abracadabra Bar, so went to Bellevue Lounge as usual. Captain's Grill was wretched, pretentious food. And, Trattoria was really bad, which means its 4th restaurant will be there soon enough. The boats aren't running to DHS.

Third, the magic bands wouldn't link with Vero Beach because of some new software thing. I hate the magic bands as they make my wrist sweaty, which is why I don't wear a watch. But, at the beach, it does make sense. But, we get KTTW cards again without charging privileges, so it's back to the desk. We had made a studio request for an inn room. It's the room on the 2nd floor right by the elevator, which all staff has told us is the most unpopular room. In fact, when we made the request, the CM laughed as no one wants that room. It was full. I know there are no guarantees.

Finally, when we get back, I try to buy our Christmas cards online from Disney, something I have done every year since I can't remember. I usually order one or two sets of Christmas cards with one or two pictures from our trip. Their website didn't work. I sent them an email, and I got the carp response to reset your cookies on the computer. Of course, I tried on Apple, Samsung, and Dell devices with mobile and desktop platforms and none of them worked. So, it was their terrible IT system, and not my equipment. No effort or quality service at all.

It's the first time a Disney vacation hasn't felt magical. Sorry for the negative post. I'm still planning a trip to the BWV October 2019.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us along! I don’t get on here as much as I used to, but it was good to see it pop back up in my subscriptions. :) We did the Trattoria breakfast in March and really enjoyed it. It might have helped that we were one of the first tables in our batch to be seated, so we also were served at a good pace. I think we also lucked out with a good Rapunzel, Flynn, and Ariel (I don’t really remember Eric), but those three were fun with us, which is not always the case for just two adults. We’re going to do one night at the BW before a cruise on the Fantasy in February, so we’re going to do the breakfast again that day. :)

One of these days we should definitely try Vero Beach, it looks nice!

We were one of the first in the new seating, but not first in the restaurant. We probably got lost in the shuffle. Still, it just wasn't the usual trip. But, it ranked low enough to not return.

Stinks about your knees and the stinko insurance. Hope things get better. Keep us posted.

Sorry your trip was not magical.

Hope the magic returns.

Funny - I know that problem. Also the running out of points.

We will be at WDW in November not at Thanksgiving.
And had to purchased some one time use points from MS to stay Presidents week.
Thought many times of buying more points, but the prices have gotten so expensive and you have to
pay the dues each year too.

And because we fly that is an expense also.

Funny - I know that problem. Also the running out of points.

We will be at WDW in November not at Thanksgiving.
And had to purchased some one time use points from MS to stay Presidents week.
Thought many times of buying more points, but the prices have gotten so expensive and you have to
pay the dues each year too.

And because we fly that is an expense also.

Flying X 4 and WDW food X 4 adds up quickly. We thought about adding more points as well. Or, maybe a joint contract gift for our children when they become adults that we also use.

We have 3 contracts. All 3 have our names (me and my husband) and our adult son and daughter one granddaughter so far.
We pay all the dues.
It will be theirs someday.
We have food delivered Publix Instacart. We have used Garden Grocer in the past, but like Instacart better.
We always have breakfast in the room, have sandwich makings, snacks and some easy dinners.
We also eat some lunches or dinners out.
This works for us.

Sorry the trip was less than ideal. It happens. Usually for us it’s a different place like when we stayed at the BC, which we didn’t really like that much. Hopefully the next trip will make up for it!

We have 3 contracts. All 3 have our names (me and my husband) and our adult son and daughter one granddaughter so far.
We pay all the dues.
It will be theirs someday.
We have food delivered Publix Instacart. We have used Garden Grocer in the past, but like Instacart better.
We always have breakfast in the room, have sandwich makings, snacks and some easy dinners.
We also eat some lunches or dinners out.
This works for us.

That's awesome. We have thought about adding on. I would like a contract at BLT or Poly as both the resorts were fun. We haven't stayed at VGF, but that outside DVC building is far away from the main house. I'm not sure I will like that. But, we are considering a place on the ocean as well. Not sure I have enough money for both, and would rather have a place in Florida first.

Sorry the trip was less than ideal. It happens. Usually for us it’s a different place like when we stayed at the BC, which we didn’t really like that much. Hopefully the next trip will make up for it!

Thanks. It wasn't the usual, and there will be many more fun trips at the Boardwalk to be had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts