DME with late check-in?

Mike D.

Mouseketeer
Our flight lands at 7pm. Does anyone have any experience on how late the bags would probably make it to our resort room? I am hoping it would be before 10pm so we can get the kids in bed as early as possible. Rope drop at MK on our first morning.

Our flight lands at 7pm. Does anyone have any experience on how late the bags would probably make it to our resort room? I am hoping it would be before 10pm so we can get the kids in bed as early as possible. Rope drop at MK on our first morning.
Last November we landed about that time. Our bags arrived about 11 pm. You could always skip putting the yellow tags on and get the bags yourself. I was also told by the front desk to put out the do not disturb sign and bell services would hold the bags until morning if they didn't arrive before we wanted to go to bed.

DME aims to get your bags to you within 3-4 hours of arriving at the resort. DME typically takes 90 minutes, so your bags should be to you by 12:30 am.

Pack what you need for the first 24 hours in your carry-on. Which is smart to do no matter what. Tell the front desk to hold your bags, and then put the Privacy Please tab in your door. Call down when you want your bags delivered.

DME aims to get your bags to you within 3-4 hours of arriving at the resort. DME typically takes 90 minutes, so your bags should be to you by 12:30 am.

Pack what you need for the first 24 hours in your carry-on. Which is smart to do no matter what. Tell the front desk to hold your bags, and then put the Privacy Please tab in your door. Call down when you want your bags delivered.

Would we need to be in our room to have the bags delivered, or will they leave them if we aren't there?

I would really consider picking up your own luggage. Just leave the yellow tags off so DME doesn't pick up the bags, retrieve them yourself and take them on the bus with you. That way you have your bags and there will be no chance for miscommunication at the resort regarding holding or not holding bags at Bell Services. If you don't want to do that, make sure you ask Bell Services to hold the bags (they are the ones that handle the bags. I would not trust the front desk CM's to convey this information to them) and put the Do Not Disturb sign on your door. Even then, you run the risk of your request being lost in the shuffle and getting a knock on your door after midnight.

Would we need to be in our room to have the bags delivered, or will they leave them if we aren't there?

In the morning? You would have to be in your room. DME will deliver your bags to your room without you being there. But once you are at the resort and bell services handles it, then you have to be in the room.

In the morning? You would have to be in your room. DME will deliver your bags to your room without you being there. But once you are at the resort and bell services handles it, then you have to be in the room.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. If you have used DME and yellow-tagged your luggage, it will be delivered to your room in your absence.

BAGS, Inc - the luggage transport segment of DME - gets your luggage from the airport to your resort. Once there, Bell Services/Luggage Assistance takes over.

or I would pack everything you need until morning in carry-ons
You should do this anyway. You never know when the airline might misdirection your checked bag.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. If you have used DME and yellow-tagged your luggage, it will be delivered to your room in your absence.

BAGS, Inc - the luggage transport segment of DME - gets your luggage from the airport to your resort. Once there, Bell Services/Luggage Assistance takes over.

Their bags will not be delivered to their room if they have them held until the next day. Then they will need to call down for them. At that point DME is no longer handling their bags, the resort is. DME rules no longer apply.

I've done it a few times. Once you tell the resort to hold your bags, you need to call for them. And be in the room. At least in my experience that is how they handle it.

Their bags will not be delivered to their room if they have them held until the next day. Then they will need to call down for them. At that point DME is no longer handling their bags, the resort is. DME rules no longer apply.

I've done it a few times. Once you tell the resort to hold your bags, you need to call for them. And be in the room. At least in my experience that is how they handle it.

Same happened to me. Since they were held they no longer would deliver without me being there as they had to follow the normal rules. It was no longer a DME delivery.

Once you tell the resort to hold your bags, you need to call for them. And be in the room. At least in my experience that is how they handle it.
That is correct. And if you don't want to wait around for Bell Services to come to your room, you can go to Bell Services and pick the bags up yourself. I'm impatient, so I typically do the latter.

This is my take on it, too.

Since bags hands it all off to BS anyway, that step always happens and doesn’t impact anything.

I would go to the luggage carousel and take your luggage to the DME desk to be boarded below the bus. Be ready to pay an extra $5 per bag to tip the driver to load and unload your bags.

We arrive at 9 PM - by the time we get to the DME desk it will be close to 10 PM
Our choices are to go to a Value resort for our 1st night or stay at the airport Hyatt hotel.

IF we do the Value resort , we will get our own bags and bring them to DME.
The next day, we will wake up, have breakfast, and ask our luggage to be transferred, by WDW, for free, to our final destination - BW villa's.
Them take a bus to EPCOT. I assume the luggage will get to the BW by 5 PM.

If we do the MCO Hyatt, we will get our bags, have a good nights sleep, then go to DME the next day, and arrive at the BW villa's.
We could also stay at a hotel with a free airport shuttle, close to MCO, and again come back the next day, in the AM, for the DME ride to the BW villa's.

Either way you decide to stay your first night, please get your own bags and load them onto the DME bus.

I would go to the luggage carousel and take your luggage to the DME desk to be boarded below the bus. Be ready to pay an extra $5 per bag to tip the driver to load and unload your bags.

We arrive at 9 PM - by the time we get to the DME desk it will be close to 10 PM
Our choices are to go to a Value resort for our 1st night or stay at the airport Hyatt hotel.

IF we do the Value resort , we will get our own bags and bring them to DME.
The next day, we will wake up, have breakfast, and ask our luggage to be transferred, by WDW, for free, to our final destination - BW villa's.
Them take a bus to EPCOT. I assume the luggage will get to the BW by 5 PM.

If we do the MCO Hyatt, we will get our bags, have a good nights sleep, then go to DME the next day, and arrive at the BW villa's.
We could also stay at a hotel with a free airport shuttle, close to MCO, and again come back the next day, in the AM, for the DME ride to the BW villa's.

Either way you decide to stay your first night, please get your own bags and load them onto the DME bus.

From the tipping sticky on these boards: "No personal tipping habits are to be discussed. Generally speaking, what you tip at Disney is entirely up to you." It is absolutely not required to tip a DME driver anything and all tips at the guest's discretion.

I'm not sure why you are telling OP to "please get your own bags". OP has been given several scenarios and options regarding what they could do that evening with their luggage to make it most convenient to them. If they decide to still let DME handle their bags and try to work with Bell Services to hold the luggage until morning, that's entirely up to them.

Just as an FYI, if you bring luggage to DME, you need to take it through the line with you, to the bus to have it loaded. Going to the DME desk with your luggage will be a complete waste of time as they don't load it from the desk.

Last edited:
I always pick up bags and bring to the bus. I don’t care what time we arrive. So many times we have gotten to resort around noon, Room is ready and we can unpack and relax. Tomorrow we arrive at 130 pm. We will get our bags, take bus to Wilderness resort and I’m guessing just head to our room. I’m much happier having bags with me where I have control.

$5 per bag seem really generous as a tip!
I was thinking I'd put maybe $5 in his jar for the 3 carry ons were bringing.

Yes, agreed. Standard tipping for porters and bell services is $1 - $2 per bag, but tipping is not required and is at each guest's discretion.

DME does not ever deliver luggage to the rooms. Bell Services/Luggage Assistance does.

While it's a service of Magical Express, the single truck driver delivering luggage to the various resorts simply couldn't deliver to the individual rooms.

Many guests who have their bags held overnight report waking to a flashing message light, with the message being to, yes, call when ready for luggage. Thus, no guest is awakened unexpectedly.

Tomorrow we arrive at 130 pm. We will get our bags, take bus to Wilderness resort and I’m guessing just head to our room.
Do you have a plan for it your room isn't ready until at or after official check in time?
I’m much happier having bags with me where I have control.
But what control do you have once you've checked your luggage at your departure airport?
Yes, agreed. Standard tipping for porters and bell services is $1 - $2 per bag, but tipping is not required and is at each guest's discretion.
Yeah, $1-$2 per bag, but minimum of $2. Plus, it's customary to tip anyone who handles your luggage except when it's transported magically from the plane to your room via DME/BAGS, Inc./Bell Services. Then, Disney tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts