Do Studios Have a Can Opener

StephenKay

DVC Member VWL 2001
Hi Everbody,

We are starting to think of what we need to bring from Scotland for our vacations at OKW and VWL can you please advise us if there is a can opener, and if there is something else we should bring drop us a line.

Thanking you all in advance.

Look forward to meeting DVC members at the DIS Meet on the 23rd.

Stevie Kay
Inverness
Scotland
;)

The studios have essentially nothing to cook with but assuming you're in a 1 BR or larger, they have a manual can opener. All you should really need is any specialty items that you personally require, charcoal if you plan on grilling, food and spices, foil, cling wrap, plastic cups and paper plates if you want to eat/drink at the pool and the like. I'm going to HH coming up staying 2 weeks at Oceanfront Marriott's and the only things I'm taking fit into the above. We're driving so will pack all of the cereal, dried oatmeal, spices, canned items and the like that we may want. The only cooking item I'm taking is a combination tongues/spatula for the grill. That way we'll just need to get the perishables, cold items, things that might leak, bread and the like when we get there. At HH, things get pretty bussy on Sat/Sun at the grocery stores since so much of the islands daily population is timeshares and most checking Fri/Sat/Sun.

Some people like to take a non stick pan. Think, if you pack items you can use, that saves you money and makes it easier on vacation. You then have extra room for "stuff" when you return.

Stevie,

The studios do not have a can opener or even a bottle opener. I learned the hard way when I bought some imported beer that did not have a "twist off" cap. :( It would not have been a problem except that it was about 11:00 PM and I wanted to drink it after returning from the parks. I managed and got a bottle opener the next day. If you are indeed in a studio, I'm sure that you can request an opener from Housekeeping. I would have if it were not so late.

The 1BR and above have all the utencils you need. Enjoy your trip!! :)

The studios have 4 glasses, 2 ceramic coffee mugs, some plastic utensils, a few paper bowls, and a few paper plates. Also a small coffee maker and a basket with usually 2 coffee packs, and an assortment of sweetners and coffee creamer. That's it!
I usually fix a lot of quick meals and bring a can opener, a small paring knife, a small plastic bowl to mix tuna or chicken in for sandwiches, and some plastic plates and bowls to eat off of. I bring lots of canned soups and meals that are easily heated in the microwave. Also ask housekeeping to bring a toaster, it's great for a quick breakfast. I wash and reuse the plastic ware that is there and find all this adequate to survive quite nicely in a studio for at least a week.
Oh, and extra coffee and coffee filters as you only get 2 until trash and towel day and sometimes not till full cleaning.

The studios at BWV do not have can openers. A few years ago we had purchased some canned foods and a can opener from Walmart. My DD and I decided to go to the parks while my DS decided to stay in the studio. When we came back he said that he almost starved to death. Never using a manual opener before, it took him quite awhile to figure out how to open a can. My DD and I got quite a laugh at that.

Any of the items available in a 1 bedroom or larger, such as a can opener, will be brought to you in a studio if you just ask.

Thanks for all the useful information. We will be staying in an OKW studio in December and will be greatly helped by knowing these things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter