Do they ever upgrade views with DVC?

It's very very rare. The only time it could happen is if a room has to unexpectedly be taken out of service and they don't have another one available.

Just wondering anyone has ever been upgraded to a better view when booked with DVC?

Maybe a cash reservation for a very short stay. But like BirdsOfPreyDave says, seldom with points stays unless you have the last room of the type you booked and it is taken out of use for maintenance.

Sometimes (and it is rare), you will get a room that is different from what you reserved. In December at the BCV we were given a 2BR when we had a 1BR reserved. It was a total waste since it was only two of us but this is what happens from time to time. Our room we had reserved had "issues" we were told.

HBC

It happened to me last jan 2012 at akl went from 1br standard veiw to savanah veiw with free upgrade.It was oh so nice .

I do know that someone thought they had been nicely upgraded once, only to get home, go on-line and discover that they'd been charged the additional points for their upgrade! When I got a studio at AKV-Jambo, standard view, with a nice view of the savannah, the first thing I did was check the dvcmember website to see that I wasn't charged. Checked when I got home too. I guess I was just lucky and got reclassified room.

It happened to me last jan 2012 at akl went from 1br standard veiw to savanah veiw with free upgrade.It was oh so nice .
Some of the Savanna View rooms have been reclassified as Standard View. It's possible you got one of these newly reclassified rooms. I'm tracking the room numbers so if you report your room number, I can see if it's on the list or if it meets the usual criteria for reclassification and then add it to the list. Thanks!

Over MLKjr weekend this year, I got an upgrade from a standard view 1 bedroom at BWV to a lovely pool view!

When I checked in, I was told my balance was $1700+!!!!::yes::I said I booked on points. A supervisor was called and I was told that I had an upgrade!::yes::

It was a first for me, and a very nice surprise. I did call DVC during my stay and my points were all in order, I was not charged.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Some of the Savanna View rooms have been reclassified as Standard View. It's possible you got one of these newly reclassified rooms. I'm tracking the room numbers so if you report your room number, I can see if it's on the list or if it meets the usual criteria for reclassification and then add it to the list. Thanks!

I'm not sure if you'd like my info, but I had studio 5322, reserved as standard, but nice view of savannah. If you'd like, I can include a photo when I get home from work.

I booked a Standard View room at Boardwalk last year and got upgraded to a View of the main pool. About a 5 second walk to the elevator.

We have been 'upgraded' a few times, nothing of much value... but anyway

At HHI we were moved from a 1BR to a 2BR due to a litter box smell in our first room.

At BLT we were given one of the Lake View Grand Villas that had been a Theme Park View at one time. I can see how the view could be argued both ways - we could very easily see the fireworks from our windows and balconies - BUT it wasn't a straight on view.

At BWV we were upgraded from a garden view to a water view (I know those category names aren't right - I just can't remember the right names! HAHA)

We have been given Hospitality House rooms at OKW when we didn't reserve that category.

We never check in online, and we rarely if ever make view/room requests. It has worked out in our favor not to be too selective.

The only 'bad' room we have ever had was at AKV - Jambo - I felt like we were ACTUALLY walking to Africa each night. Our room was SO far from the lobby that I felt like there should have been a restroom and a snack cart, or at least a tram! We might as well have been at Kidani! HAHA

Anyway - it is possible, but there has to be a circumstance beyond their control before they will do it.

Rule of thumb, reserve the view you want, request something different at check-in, if it is available!

I had one of these for my 1 night stay at Jumbo House in January. Unfortunately I'm at work so can't give you the room number. I wasn't there long enough to enjoy the view but it was right above one of the "people pens".

I'm not sure if you'd like my info, but I had studio 5322, reserved as standard, but nice view of savannah. If you'd like, I can include a photo when I get home from work.
I have that on the list already from an earlier report you provided. Thanks!

At BWV we were upgraded from a garden view to a water view (I know those category names aren't right - I just can't remember the right names! HAHA)
The three booking categories are Boardwalk View, Pool/Garden View and Standard View. By "water view" do you mean you were facing the lake between the BWV and BC and YC? If so you were upgraded to Boardwalk View. If your room faced a pool or the canal then it was the same view you booked.

My upgrade experiences:
1. Once cause of over booking at VWL:
Booked a studio at VWL, when we tried to check-in, we had been upgraded to a WL 2 bedroom lake view suite. Called some family members to come and join us for an unexpected vacation.
2. Once cause of problem with check-in at AKL:
Booked a standard view studio at AKL-Jambo, checked-in, given a room key as the room was suppose to be ready, went to the room, and found suitcases and purse in the room along with the room not being made up. Went back to the front desk, they gave us an on-the-spot upgrade to a savanna view room in another part of the resort plus four free breakfasts.
3. DCL
We reserved an inside stateroom on points but were upgraded to an ocean view room. We did not find out about the upgrade until we got to the room, what a surprise that was.

Just wondering anyone has ever been upgraded to a better view when booked with DVC?
It happens infrequently enough to say it never happens. OTOH, there are reports of people asking for an upgrade and later finding out they were charged the points for it. IMO, even asking for a free upgrade is not appropriate. If they give it to you, just be thankful and go buy a lottery ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter