Do you even have to ask?? An August '19 WDW/ Universal PTR

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
TABLE OF CONTENTS

1st Time Visit to Universal & Lodgings!!

Hello! My name is Spencer Wright, and this is my second trip report (As a quick note, I did have prior Trip and Pre-Trip reports which weren’t very good so let’s disregard them!!).

I am 29 years old and live in Delaware County, PA and work in Center City Philadelphia. My main interests out of work are Old Hollywood, cats, and increasingly exercise. I have been a fan of the Dis for about a year and a half now and started contributing articles in July of 2018. Disney and WDW trips were a huge part of my childhood, as well as the movies and trips to the Disney store. The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights on ABC were an absolute highlight of our week as a family.

39580493_2199710756767343_4011153649467129856_n.jpg

In my early and mid-20’s I totally fell away from the World of Disney, but about 2-3 years ago we went back to WDW, and I joined the Disney Movie Club, which helped spawn an addiction to Disney!! My sister loves watching YouTube, and I am a huge Podcast person, and she found the Dis and knew I would love it. She was absolutely right.

In terms of the World of Disney, it has been a great time seeing what holds up from my childhood versus adulthood. Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, and Peter Pan are my absolute favorites of Classic animation as an adult; while Cinderella and Bambi are sort of bores. I love the live-action films of the 50’s and 60’s. I have worked to be more open-minded about the newer Pixar films, and love Inside Out and Coco!!

Anyway, on to the trip and WDW!! This will be my 10th trip, and the fourth August in a row with my mother, sister, and I. We go for about 8 full days; and have consistently had an amazing time. Therefore, for this year, it was not really an issue in terms of whether we were even going to go or not.

We basically didn’t even have to ask, it was essentially assumed.

So, we have dates in August picked out (15th-25th). The cast includes myself, my mother, and my sister (25). We have an amazing time and are able to everything we want done. I like to go from pretty much as early as possible to park closing. My mother is a floor nurse, and instructor and therefore likes to relax and go at a slow pace; while my sister is in the middle.

So hop on board, as we pick a resort, ADR’s, a general plan, and also our first visit to Universal!!

(As a note, please let me know if you cannot see pictures; and if you can’t, the best way to add pictures on a MacBook Pro)

Last edited:
1st Time Visit to Universal & Lodgings!!

We had dates picked out and needed to figure out where we are going to stay. My last four trips (including last three Augusts in a row), we have stayed at AKL. My mother will usually also visit in May, as she is a DVC owner at the Polynesian.

This year, we did investigate other options in terms of where to stay (on property of course). Due to room size, Values were sort of immediately out of the window, unless two rooms were worth the cost.

We find the room size at the AKL to be perfect for the three of us, but just enough space. In terms of moderates, we did look at POFQ but did not find the price difference compelling enough to make a switch.

With Deluxes, in terms of pricing, the only resort compelling enough was the Wilderness Lodge. However, we LOVE AK, which is our favorite park, and is right across the street from the AKL.

We did seriously consider POFQ, however I think we simply love AKL too much to make a switch. We love pool, theme, animals, restaurants, and atmosphere. It is far from MK, and a decent distance from DS, but there are too many other pros for us to consider something else.
So with that decision made, we also looked into Universal. We have never been to Universal. Last year, we visited Gatorland for the day, which was extremely successful, so thought another day trip was in the works! Frankly, we mostly want to visit to see Harry Potter. At least for me, Harry Potter was probably about a big a part of my childhood as Disney.

We did look into either staying there at the beginning or end of our trip, for obvious reasons (cost, convenience, express pass), but my mother and sister felt it was too much of a time investment to pack things up again and resettle at AKL.

Now we are exploring different dining, ticket, and attraction options. We will not do express pass due to the very high cost but am looking into Universal vs. Islands of Adventure vs. both, ect.

Can anyone on here recommend any dining (lunch and dinner)? How about one park versus another? My mother does NOT do thrill rides. What attractions are great?

The other thing currently in the mix are dining options. We have historically stuck with the exact same dining options or repeated places in the same trip. Last year we had dinner at Boma three times. Not that I am complaining, but there are other places to eat. We are interested in trying a lot of new places, especially in the MK area.

Traditionally, our trips have been very AK and Epcot centric. While we love MK, it has not been a feature of past trips at all. I think one trip, we went there once. This is mostly due to distance from AKL, and the crowds there, which can get quite rude and large compared to other parks.

However, we love attraction heavy trips, and came to really appreciate MK last time. Also, while I am one of the post people who really love Epcot and Future World but found it to be a real dump last trip. Like smelly and deteriorating. So while it undergoes refurbishment, MK will get some more love! Therefore, my next update will concern some possible dining options we are considering, as well as where we stand with Universal!!

The next step in our planning is our annual January planning meeting!! It is a highlight of January. What else is going on that month?

We were able to get free dining, shedding a decent amount off the trip (I generally avoid discussing specific figures on the boards).

We have restaurants we really like and are must-do’s: Boma, Ohana, Grand Floridian Café, Cape May Café, and Art Smith’s Homecomin’.

Last trip was a wonderful trip, however are looking to branch out with dining a bit this trip. We had dinner at Boma three times last trip!! It’s time to be a little more open-minded.

We went to Sanaa for the second-time last trip. I absolutely love it. The theming is beautiful, and the animal viewing is amazing. However, my mother and sister had butter chicken with white rice, and chick pea wat. The portion was meager, and the chick pea wat was SCORCHING hot. I like spicy and found it too much. That, coupled with awful service, means its out for next trip. I wasn’t asked, I was told.

Basically, for planning this year, the key is that probably for 3 days of the trip we wish to try mixing up our daily routine. We normally follow a very standard routine of rope drop, QS lunch at 11, pool break, TS at 5 or similar, and back to a different park (park hopper tickets).

We think for this year, we wish to mix-up a few days and have our TS for lunch and QS for dinner. I did not necessarily feel a pool break was required for me every afternoon, and we want some more flexibility in the evenings. Therefore, we are looking at a few TS options which are good for lunch.

The other thing in terms of day-to-day planning is a focus toward MK. We love MK of course, but past trips have focused primarily on Epcot and AK. A couple of trips ago I think we went to MK twice. Again, I love MK, but often find it crowded, the Guests the rudest, and the hardest to get around. However last trip we spent a lot more time there and really fell in love with it again.

To get around AKL’s mediocre transportation, we sometimes take Lyft to the Contemporary so the trouble of getting to MK is lessened.

Therefore, we are focusing dining somewhat (TS dining) around MK. Ohana is a must-do but only serves dinner. One new dining location we want to try is Cinderella’s Royal Table. We have never eaten there and normally do not do signature dining. But it would certainly be different and enable more time in MK.

So my question for any of yous who might be reading, what TS restaurants have a really great lunch in/around Magic Kingdom? Ohana is of course a must-do for dinner, and the Grand Floridian Café looks great for lunch. To be specific, how is the Crystal Palace and Kona Café for lunch?

Also, can anyone kindly advise how to add pictures on a macbook all can see??

We had our general planning meeting which I believe was quite successful. Please see the below tentative schedule in italics.

We were planning on going to Sebastian’s for Lunch, however that has been discontinued already. We are thinking Olivia’s at OKW instead. We had dinner there last August (first time), and it may have been our favorite meal all trip. The place is relaxed and friendly. It’s a really great place.

This all of course depends on park hours. We also will NOT be returning to MNSSHP. We will fully reassess the plan as needed once park hours are released!

Also, can anyone kindly advise how to add pictures on a macbook all can see??

Thursday 15th (Arrival):

TS Dinner at Terralina or Chef Art Smith’s Homecoming

Friday 16th:

Magic Kingdom

Preferred Fast Passes: Peter Pans Flight, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean

TS at Boma

Rivers of Light in Evening

Saturday 17th:

Epcot

Preferred Fast Passes: Test, Soarn’, Frozen Ever After

Two QS Meals

Sunday 18th:

Hollywood Studios

Preferred Fast Passes: Slinky Dog Dash, Rockn’ Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania

TS Lunch Sebastian’s (no longer offered this needs to be changed)

Monday 19th:

Animal Kingdom

Preferred Fast Passes: FOP, Na’vi River Journey, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur

Cape May Café Dinner

Possibly Hollywood Studios at night

Tuesday 20th:

Magic Kingdom

Preferred Fast Passes: Peter Pans Flight, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise

Cinderella’s Royal Table or Crystal Palace for lunch

Wednesday 21st:

Typhoon Lagoon

Ohana for Dinner

Thursday 22nd:

Universal (this is going to change pending release of park hours, but will probably be earlier in the week)

Friday 23rd:

Animal Kingdom

Preferred Fast Passes: FOP, Na’vi River Journey, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur

TS Dinner at Terralina or Chef Art Smith’s Homecoming

Sat 24th:

Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom

Grand Floridian Café for Lunch or Dinner

FOP FP is top priority and park and meal depend on that

In the meantime, I have the nightmare of airfare to navigate.

Following! If you aren't already using Kayak or Google Flights to track airfare prices, or an app like Hopper, I strongly suggest it. We were able to snag 4 round trip, nonstop airfare for our Sept 2017 trip (Boston to MCO) for under $650 on Delta economy. Even with the upgrade to be able to choose our seats, it was still just over $700 for 4 roundtrip tickets.

Following! If you aren't already using Kayak or Google Flights to track airfare prices, or an app like Hopper, I strongly suggest it. We were able to snag 4 round trip, nonstop airfare for our Sept 2017 trip (Boston to MCO) for under $650 on Delta economy. Even with the upgrade to be able to choose our seats, it was still just over $700 for 4 roundtrip tickets.

Thank You!

I'll def need to start looking. As of now, we have $490 round trip each (including luggage) direct from Philadelphia to Orlando, which I know it totally appalling. The main problem we have out of Philadelphia are very few flights are direct. As far as I can tell, Delta offers NO direct flights. Theres a whole rant about the decline of direct flights between Philadelphia and Orlando I'll avoid going into.

Southwest releases tickets on the 7th or February, so as long as that doesn't book up, I should be able to get that for much cheaper (i.e. $250 round trip including luggage). I'm going to have to put more of a time investment into it, and try Kayak!!

Thank You!

I'll def need to start looking. As of now, we have $490 round trip each (including luggage) direct from Philadelphia to Orlando, which I know it totally appalling. The main problem we have out of Philadelphia are very few flights are direct. As far as I can tell, Delta offers NO direct flights. Theres a whole rant about the decline of direct flights between Philadelphia and Orlando I'll avoid going into.

Southwest releases tickets on the 7th or February, so as long as that doesn't book up, I should be able to get that for much cheaper (i.e. $250 round trip including luggage). I'm going to have to put more of a time investment into it, and try Kayak!!

It might end up being cheaper to fly out of Newark - it's not a horrible drive but there's also an Amtrak station right at the airport. There might even be a PATH/NJ Transit connection at the airport.

Joining!

I didn't see you mention Tusker House at AK. That's one of our favorite buffets, and if you hit it just right, you can heave some breakfast and then some lunch. I believe a 10:30 am reservation is what you want if you choose to do this.

A recent favorite of mine is LTT at MK, but I also love The Plaza for either lunch or dinner.

As far as posting pics from your MacBook, that's what I use also. I have all of my pictures uploaded to Shutterfly (It's free), and I just click on my picture in their site, click COPY and then come here and click PASTE. It couldn't be easier. This allows you to upload 35 pictures/post.

Before I figured that out, I used to upload my pics as files. In that case, I would export my photos to my desktop and then click the button here that says, "UPLOAD A FILE." You can upload 10 pics/post that way.

Good luck!

Have you considered a room for one night at the universal deluxe hotels? Will give you unlimited EP for check in and check out day for all in the room. You don’t have to actually use it, but surely an overnight bag isn’t too much hassle anyway. The EP would give yo pu much more flexibility especially if truly planning only one day. There’s so much more to universal than Harry Potter, that’s like going to Disney just for Flight of Passage. Plus to experience the Hogwarts Express you need a park to park ticket. The journey is different each way. THe horror makeup show is hilarious. Also the new potter coaster may be open by then which could mean crowds. The restaurants in both potter lands are pretty good too, although limited in menu. We love the city walk restaurants, NBC grill and bar is probably our favorite.

Ugh on flights. Not fun and hope Southwest is better for you!
I second Tuskegee house in AK or Nomads lounge next to Tiffins. Nomads is probably my favorite place on property in the parks. Too many to name in the resorts and Disney Springs lol. Also enjoy LTT although it’s just weird to me to be able to get glass of wine with meal in MK :rotfl2:. Seriously I got one last trip and then felt bad drinking it lol

It might end up being cheaper to fly out of Newark - it's not a horrible drive but there's also an Amtrak station right at the airport. There might even be a PATH/NJ Transit connection at the airport.

I may need to go that route. I live sort of Southwest of Philadelphia, but a lot of co-workers who live North of the city said Newark is easier and much cheaper. It just stinks because I live ten minutes from the Philadelphia airport.

I'm probably just going to have to suck it up and go with Newark or Atlantic City (Atlantic City is a solid hour drive). We'll see!

Joining!

I didn't see you mention Tusker House at AK. That's one of our favorite buffets, and if you hit it just right, you can heave some breakfast and then some lunch. I believe a 10:30 am reservation is what you want if you choose to do this.

A recent favorite of mine is LTT at MK, but I also love The Plaza for either lunch or dinner.

As far as posting pics from your MacBook, that's what I use also. I have all of my pictures uploaded to Shutterfly (It's free), and I just click on my picture in their site, click COPY and then come here and click PASTE. It couldn't be easier. This allows you to upload 35 pictures/post.

Before I figured that out, I used to upload my pics as files. In that case, I would export my photos to my desktop and then click the button here that says, "UPLOAD A FILE." You can upload 10 pics/post that way.

Good luck!

Have you considered a room for one night at the universal deluxe hotels? Will give you unlimited EP for check in and check out day for all in the room. You don’t have to actually use it, but surely an overnight bag isn’t too much hassle anyway. The EP would give yo pu much more flexibility especially if truly planning only one day. There’s so much more to universal than Harry Potter, that’s like going to Disney just for Flight of Passage. Plus to experience the Hogwarts Express you need a park to park ticket. The journey is different each way. THe horror makeup show is hilarious. Also the new potter coaster may be open by then which could mean crowds. The restaurants in both potter lands are pretty good too, although limited in menu. We love the city walk restaurants, NBC grill and bar is probably our favorite.

Ugh on flights. Not fun and hope Southwest is better for you!
I second Tuskegee house in AK or Nomads lounge next to Tiffins. Nomads is probably my favorite place on property in the parks. Too many to name in the resorts and Disney Springs lol. Also enjoy LTT although it’s just weird to me to be able to get glass of wine with meal in MK :rotfl2:. Seriously I got one last trip and then felt bad drinking it lol

Thank you for the ideas! I will try Shutterfly and am sure it will work.

We had dinner at Tusker House and did not care for it a couple years ago. We thought it was sort of a woodered down Boma. We love Boma (ate there three times last trip), and felt this had a meager offering in comparison and it was not well stocked. I have only heard great things, and am sure it was just a bad night, however my mother and sister refuse to go back. >:(

Its a shame because it fits our needs perfectly.

I HATE alcohol in MK, and I NEVER thought I would object to a glass of wine anywhere! While there at it, why don't they build an El over Mainstreet and burn down the Emporium for the insurance money?? It just goes against everything Walt Disney was trying to create.

LTT would be a great choice or lunch. We're focusing more on dining options in/around MK.

In terms of the Universal/getting a room, this was a heavily discussed topic. I wanted to stay there either to start or end the trip, for the reasons indicated above, as well as to save a little bit of money. However, my mother and sister pack quite a lot, and felt they would still need a full suitcase for a night. Give me a toothbrush and cologne and I'm ready! :cool1:

We are continuing to investigate restaurants, but am waiting on hard and fast decisions until park hours come out!

I now have several updates, which are pretty significant.

In terms of airfare (which my sister and I were paying $490 round trip for), was resolved by our mother! In about two minutes she found we save $182 a person if we fly in the night before (2pm flight). This is on Southwest, so we of course jumped on it. The savings INCLUDES a stay the night before at the All-Star Sports. Neither of us have been to or stayed at the All-Stars. So when we consider the price of transit, we essentially got the room for $87!!

It was a nice change, and a lesson in being flexible. Our flight back is at about 7am which kind of stinks, but it is well worth it.

Also, we got all ADR's we wanted for all times, and my mother was able to work through the typical technical issues. (As a side note, I always get her a nice gift on the trip as a thank you for all this planning).

I am going to look into the All-Star Sports more and then list my ADR's with my thoughts on the All-Stars and room requests shortly.

Less than 180 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!