Do you ever get made fun of . . . or even bullied . . . about going to Disney World so much?

I’m in my 40s too and love Disney. My parents (in their late 60s) would always get on to me for going to WDW every year (sometimes go to WDW twice a year) ... they tell me there’s better places to visit. I just ignored them. I’ve visited a lot of places in the world already and Disney is a love that can’t be explained. My brother would give me a hard time too but not as bad as my parents. Well, this past December my parents, along with my brother’s family came with us (Party of 9) and now my parents are Disney addicts too! My retired parents are now planning Disney trips for just the 2 of them. I want to go but have to work!!!!! 😝
As I say: if you cannot beat them, let them join you!
My sister used to think I was crazy, then I organized a trip to DLP with the extended family and at the end of it she told me: now I understand why you like it so much!

What I tell people is:
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband:
:charac2:
:mic:
:music:
If your family wants you to go on a vacation and they are willing to pay for it, go and have a great time on them. If you are paying for the trip you go where and when you choose to go.

Last edited:
Certainly. A lot of family. Used to get it a lot at work too when I worked at a big office (now I work in a small office and they mostly lay off).

I just remind them that I can spend my vacation however I want. I have earned that right.

I work in the schools so I am around a million different teachers all day long. Most people just bust me cause they always hear my Disney music playing or ask what Disney t-shirt I have on today. I know they are kidding. They know I'm nuts. I own it. But a bunch always give me the passive aggressive digs we all know. I just point to a no bullying sign on the walls and walk away. They are jealous. My wife gets it a ton from the nurses in the hospital. how are you going away 3 times this year? They say to her we both make the same amount of money. That ticks her off cause I work a second job pretty much full time now. What do they know.

I'm going stop here cause i'm starting to get fired up. I have to go back to my Spotify disney playlist now to get ready for the day and inevitable comments. . . today will be "oh someone won't be going away in april cause of the virus. . . they are going to close"

I have a sister that always talks about how much we go to Disney. She and her husband spend a crazy amount of money every year going skiing 2-3x per year though, and I think that is crazy. We ski once a year, and that it plenty for us. The difference is that I don't say anything about it to her. I imagine people feel the same way about us going to Disney as I do about people going on cruises. Maybe it isn't for them, but there is no need to verbally bash it to that person even if you're thinking it inside your head. I really try to abide by the saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all."

FTR, we have only ever been on 2 cruises and both were not great experiences. The first cruise I took was when I was in college and had seas so rough that everyone had to stay in their rooms because it was dangerous to walk around and passengers and crew members were throwing up in the hallways (not an exaggeration). It was so bad that they parked large carts in the hallways stocked with nausea medicine and cleaning supplies. The second one was a Disney cruise a few years ago where my entire family got the flu towards the end of the cruise despite having gotten the shot. We found out later that over half of the ship ended up with the flu. It was awful. Needless to say, we aren't going to be a cruising family.

Mostly my kids’ coaches give us a hard time. They are just resentful that our trips make the kids miss their Christmas training camps or Spring Break training camps or the odd practice and meet. The coaches want us to prioritise swimming above all else, and I just won’t do it. Family first, then school and way down the list...swimming.

I hate the high performance sport, but my kids love to swim. So we stay involved with it, but I won’t apologise for our time at Disney. Dvc is our home and our family’s special place to bond.

Different strokes......do what makes you happy. Annual trips to the Jersey shore are a cherished tradition in my area....and that’s great! :thumbsup2 Annual (and more often if possible!) trips to WDW are a cherished tradition in my family...and that’s great too! :cloud9: Life’s too short to worry about (let alone feel free to randomly comment on) the choices of others. Live and let live and enjoy!

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 61636203, member: 442
I don't get direct hits, but I hear things like Disney is for kids--I'd rather go to Vegas. I went to Disney when the kids were little and I'd never go back. I don't get it--what is there to do there? Four parks? Really? Oh, you mean that Harry Potter thing.

I don't comment. I mean, what can you say? Love means never having to justify yourself...and I love Disney!
[/QUOTE]

When they talk about how "it's just for kids" I relay one special evening I had. The wife, daughter, daughter's friend and I were staying at AKL. That evening we all had dinner at Boma. We adults decided we wanted to head out to Epcot and the girls wanted to stay behind and enjoy the pool. After we got to Epcot we headed to our favorite area to view Illuminations - the pier at Italy, but we decided to stand to the right of the open stage at the America pavilion. Why - so we could watch and listed to the Beach Boys. When they finished we turned a few degrees and watched the fireworks a few minutes later.

And we did all that in about 4 hours without having to worry about concert admission, parking, or standing in line. Try doing that in that time-frame anyplace outside of WDW.

I’m 30 and I get it A LOT from people who I’m not super close with (co-workers and acquaintance friends). My close friends and family are just as into it as me or are used to it by now.

I know a few people who really go in DEEP to the point where I feel like it’s more of a personal issue with themselves. It definitely annoys me though. I would never pass judgement on someone else’s vacation choices so it blows my mind when other people are so rude and bold about mine. I have gotten “you’re just giving your money to a corporation“ and “you’re an easy mark for marketing.” I just keep it short (and shut it down when they overstep) with them because we’re never going to agree and they will never get it. I just know they are not the people I want to engage in Disney about so I don’t even go there with them.

I have to the point that I just don’t bring it up with most people anymore- especially at work. I live in NYC and I feel like 90% of my office has a negative view of Disney and especially cruising. Oh well- I love doing both! Now I usually say something generic like I’m going to Florida.

We just say that we're going to Florida. If pressed, we specify Orlando. People who don't get it, won't get it, no matter how much you try to explain.

I get comments sometimes, but more often now I get families who are planning their first trip, or considering DVC, or any other number of Disney related questions and they want to have dinner with us so I can help them. I love talking Disney so it works great for me!

I'd just get the "going again?" comment.

Nowadays I don't tell anybody but husband and kids when I'm going.

I also don't post about the trip on social media which kinda makes me sad sometimes that I can't share the fun I'm having but I also avoid alot of "Sheesh isn't that place just for kids?" comments.

We also didn't tell anyone that we just got another small resale DVC contract. It's not like we bring anyone with us anyways. LOL
I thought about mentioning it to my sisters but money is a hot button topic with a couple of them so I decided not to say anything.

Last edited:
I get the jealous co-workers; rude comments all the time. We are very frugal with our money (not eating out and buying "stuff" we'd like but don't really need) and with our vacation days (don't take a day here and there just because we can) so we can go more often. Everyone makes their own choices. I don't begrudge them for their choices; I wish it went both ways.

I get the same eye rolls mentioned here as well and they just can't seem to understand why we would go to a kids park. You ought to see the eyes rolls when we mention DCL cruise and the comments about "all those kids". I have even had people who never have been try and correct me when I try and explain Disneyland is in California and WDW is in Florida! Then more confusion when I try and explain the difference between Universal and WDW! A neighbor is convinced Universal is just another park within WDW and I should know that. After a while you just kind of give up and move on..smjj..ºoº

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter