Do you make DH go to couples showers?

:confused3 I guess if we were invited as a couple to such an event (which we never have been; never even heard of it IRL actually), we would either accept or decline the invitation as a couple. I wouldn't necessarily make him go but I wouldn't go on my own if he absolutely refused. In the case of a very close family member like the OP's SIL, we're all close enough to be honest. :hyper2: He'd tell his sister he thought the co-ed shower was a really lame idea and she'd tell him to suck it up and be there! :laughing:
Why wouldnt you go? DD and I go to parties all of the time without each other. Every New Year’s Eve, we start at different parties, and then end up at the same.

Based on your follow posts I think you are wise to encourage him to stay home.

DH and I do not "make" each other go anywhere (though I did push it attend his sisters wedding 15 years ago even though going to Hawaii was a financial burden for us at the time).
That said, if it were a couple shower and we knew several people going/invited he'd likely want to attend. A get together with friends and family is a get together with friends and family---regardless of if it is packaged as a shower or a BBQ.

Last edited:
I’d leave it up DH if he wanted to go, but if it was family I’m sure he’d want to go. Couples showers aren’t that weird here. I mean after all, they both are having a baby! Heck,when I was pregnant DH work threw HIM a shower.

ExH did go to a couples baby shower with me about 25 years ago, but it was more of a BBQ/family get together. When the shower part happened, the women gathered inside and the men/most of the kids stayed in the backyard.

I wouldn't "make" him go to anything.
We went to one like this. It was basically a backyard bbq with food and drink, kids running around, but at one point, the womenfolk went into the house to ooh and aah over the gifts. Actually, it was probably one of my favorite showers!

Based on your follow posts I think you are wise to encourage him to stay home.

DH and i do not "make" each other go anywhere (though I did push it attend his sist3ers wedding 15 years ago even though going to Hawaii was a financial burden for us at the time).
That said, if it were a couple shower and we knew several people going/invited he'd likely want to attend. A get together with friends and family is a get together with friends and family---regardless of if it is packaged as a shower or a BBQ.

DH doesn’t know any of their friends. Only his brother and two bil, all of whom plan on getting drunk and are only going because they have to. We are much older than them.

I don’t have to force him to go. Our showers are actually really fun events so he enjoys them. They're basically just a big party with food, music and dancing. No corny games or any of that.

But as a whole, i don’t force him to go anywhere he doesn’t want to go.

I don't make my husband go anywhere he doesn't want to go. He's pretty social, though, so I wouldn't have to do any convincing to get him to go to a party, especially if it's with people he enjoys hanging out with. :laughing: We had a coed shiwer for my sister since they had lots of male friends who wanted to celebrate their baby as much as their female friends. Ir wasn't your traditional shower but everyone had a blast. We only had a couple of games no one was required to played but we found most of the male guests did. Maybe we just gave a great group of friends and family that like to have fun no matter what the occasion. :bitelip:

I don't make my husband go anywhere he doesn't want to go. He's pretty social, though, so I wouldn't have to do any convincing to get him to go to a party, especially if it's with people he enjoys hanging out with. :laughing: We had a coed shiwer for my sister since they had lots of male friends who wanted to celebrate their baby as much as their female friends. Ir wasn't your traditional shower but everyone had a blast. We only had a couple of games no one was required to played but we foun:laughing:d most of the male guests did. Maybe we just gave a great group of friends and family that like to have fun no matter what the occasion. :bitelip:
Holy typos....

If it was family and specified as a couple's shower, yes I would probably ask DH to come with me but I wouldn't force it if he said no. When we had a baby shower for my SIL, I don't remember if it was specified as a couple's shower or if my brother just told all of the husbands/boyfriends they could come. All of the guys pretty much just hung out in the garage outside drinking and watching tv and just hanging out while the women were at the actual 'party'.

No, I would never drag my hubby to one. He is old enough to make up his own mind. Now if it were like at church and everyone was invited he may go so he would have other males to talk and enjoy the time with them.

My husband has gone to one. It was for his friend’s daughter. I think he was relieved that I didn’t have a couple’s baby shower for our son. He likes get togethers, but showers just aren’t his idea of fun, even the ones that “try” to play to men and women (they really only appeal to a certain type of woman, and the rest of us try our best).

I do think when couples have a gender reveal party that’s more like a BBQ, and doesn’t have the gifts or games focus, they are more male friendly (we didn’t have one because we are not big celebrators).

I never made anyone I was involved with go, but they always did. Couples showers are a big thing around here, but they aren't the normal kind, no games, no gift opening - more of a party where you drop off gifts.

I haven’t been to one but honestly I like the idea.
In a lot of ways the shower is a celebration with your friends before the baby is born, it’s nkce for the dads to also mark the occasion. It’s anlittle like having a bachelorette party but not having the groom have a bachelor party.

Would I make my DH go if he didn’t want to-of course not.

In these situations, I’ve stopped RSVPing for my husband. I’ll RSVP for myself and then add a note that DH is unsure of his schedule and he’ll let you know. I’ve had one too many times when I’ve said we would both attend and then he backs out at the last minute making me look bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter