Do you think paying twice as much is worth a balcony?

DannyDisneyFreak

Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
Both our cruises on DCL we had veranda staterooms and really liked having the access but looking at prices for an Alaskan on RCL the cost between an ocean view and balcony is double!
I really want a balcony but can't justify the cost. What are others thoughts?

We always cruise in a balcony (veranda) cabin. Love sitting out there watching the sea go by while having a beverage. I would think that this is even more important on an Alaska cruise so you can easily duck back inside to warm up.

The balcony on all Alaska cruises are very expensive. We really want to do Alaska and always have done balcony on other cruises, but we are going with Oceanview for our July cruise to Alaska and hope that we can upgrade at port. But if we don't, we won't be disappointed. We were originally booked on Disney, but the same room is $1,500.00 cheaper on Royal. Just trying to make it as affordable as possible.

Balcony prices are one area that Disney has the edge. Whenever we cruise Disney I seriously consider a balcony. However on other lines I look at the price and say no way. After sailing RCI and Carnival I have found enough outside our room that I do not miss not having a balcony.

Last two cruises we got a balcony that we did not go out on at all. It was a lot more fun to go up on the top deck of the ship then hang out on the balcony. So unless the price difference is negligible, doubt I'll pony up for another balcony.

Both our cruises on DCL we had veranda staterooms and really liked having the access but looking at prices for an Alaskan on RCL the cost between an ocean view and balcony is double!

We really wanted a balcony on our Alaskan cruise (DCL) but we saved hundreds by putting our 2 teen boys in an inside cabin across the hall. We had blank keys made for all 4 of us so we could all enter either room.

I've never done that on RCCL but I don't see why one couldn't. IIRC, Explorer has certain decks where balcony cabins connect to inside cabins. It's very aft though. I wish DCL would do that. I found an opportunity for this on the Dream/Fantasy on deck 7 aft and emailed DCL to suggest it. Who knows what kind of plumbing/electrical/HVAC might get in the way?

It was still a ton of $$ and even booking excursions direct with vendors shown in pics on DCL's website and getting 20% by paying in full by the end of Feb or March, it was still almost the equivalent of another 7-nt cruise just for excursions. :faint: It was still sooo worth it. Just do it any which way you can. :thumbsup2

First, let me say, I always cruise with a balcony. However, even if I didn't, I would certainly pay the extra for a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. We liked being able to watch the scenery from our own balcony and easily stepping inside to get warm when we needed. We turned he ship channel on so we could hear any narration. We didn't have to be outside in the COLD public areas to listen. I found the wind to be very cold as the ship was sailing.

In 25 cruises, I have had balcony cabins only 4 times - and 2 were free upgrades. My 4 Alaska cruises were in 3 oceanview cabins and 1 inside. The best views are from an open deck and not from a balcony on one side of the ship.

Can you find a cabin with close access to the promenade/an outside deck? We sailed Alaska on HAL (booked guarantee cabins) and were placed like 2 doors down from a door leading to the promenade - we could be outside for sightseeing in like 39 seconds. Frequently there were very few people out there and it was like having a giant balcony!

Now we have two LOs and are willing to pay a significant up charge for a balcony so we have somewhere to hang out once they are asleep. DH is hooked and loves reading on the balcony, having breakfast out there, etc. I'm more into doing stuff on the ship and see the balcony as less of a priority, so we discuss and debate depending on price difference (I think we are paying like 40% more for a balcony in our upcoming cruise! but it's kids sail free, so it's actually not that much more than I was expecting to pay for an inside)

Everyone has their own reasons to determine Value. My Jim'a first cruise ever was the Radiance in Alaska and an aft-facing balcony. The balconies are gagunda.

Fast forward. I now cruise with a scooter following an accident and multiple surgeries. I tire easily and sometimes don't make it out of the cabin till dinner. Resting on the balcony is vital to me.

Having said all that, I return to my TA days.

Alaska is different. It changes you. You will never see scenery like it anywhere else.

I used to ask my guests to think about a couple of things.

#1. Can you afford a balcony?
Don't take one if you honestly cannot.

#2. How many times do you think you will visit Alaska?
Multiple times? Then try something affordable and save for the splurge of
A balcony.

Going once. Can afford it? You will NEVER regret it.

Don't forget good binoculars for each of you. When you are watching whales or tracking that bear, you will not want to share.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Having been on TONS of cruises with Royal, if there is any iternary that you want a balcony on... it would be an Alaskan cruise. When announcements are made of some of the wild life in the ocean or on land... it sucks to have to leave your stateroom to go to the nearest deck. However, from your personal balcony you can see it all.

Honestly, the signs and sounds are the best part of an Alaskan cruise... so if you have the money, DO IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter