• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? Doctor's note

Originally posted by SueM in MN
Glad to hear we had some courts with common sense.

Well, wait 'til the Supreme Court gets ahold of it....

And what do you think sailing out of a California port will do to the current situation? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sorry,, but they are NOT bound by US ADA laws. No one is entitled to a free upgrade to a suite when someone else is paying for that same suite. I don't expect to be get something I haven't paid for free of charge just because I have a disability unless that suite would otherwise be empty. I know people who have travelled on DCL with a service dog, so I guess I don't understand the issue. ---Kathy

Hi, Kathy!

I know you are correct about them not being bound by ADA, as I checked that out a year ago when we were considering taking a cruise. Talked with a number of people who work with the ADA all of the time and they told me that anything cruise lines do to provide access is not because the law requires them to, but because it is good business.

Maybe this is just me, but I am always concerned about how the rights we currently have can be taken away at any time by a majority vote. That if the majority of people in this country want to remove any of the laws about accessibility, they can. Just by voting for politicians who oppose ADA. Since (if I remember my civics class correctly)(smile), the only rights that we have our the ones in the Constitution, I try to keep in mind that accessibility is not guaranteed for any of us.

I will be going to WDW in Sept 6 of us. DM will need a wheelchair as well as one other member of our party. Sister might need one. Our friend that is going can not walk for a long time. she is on oxagen. My sister has MS. Would they need a gac card how would it help them. I know they both can get letters form Doc's.

Originally posted by minniegidget
I will be going to WDW in Sept 6 of us. DM will need a wheelchair as well as one other member of our party. Sister might need one. Our friend that is going can not walk for a long time. she is on oxagen. My sister has MS. Would they need a gac card how would it help them. I know they both can get letters form Doc's.
Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave:
Your party might want to consider renting ecvs (electric scooters). That way no one would have to be pushed and they could all be more independent. The distances peoplw walk each day during a WDW vacation are pretty large - and most of the walking is not done in lines. Just to go around WS in Epcot is over a mile, so people can easily walk between 3 and 8 or 9 miles per day!
It sounds like the people in your party with disabilities have stamina or endurance problems. What WDW suggests for that is to rent a wheelchair or ecv. Here's a quote from the WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities:
Some Guests may be concerned that they do not have the stamina to wait in our queues. We strongly suggest these Guests consider using a wheelchair, personal scooter or Electric Convenience Vehicle (ECV), as the distance between our attractions is much greater than the length of our queues.

Guests who are traveling in wheelchairs or ecvs are able to use the wheelchair accessible lines without a GAC, so they probably would not benefit from a GAC. The GAC (Guest Assistance Card) is more of a tool to give CMs a way to know what assistance people with invisible disabilities need. It might be things like a quieter place to wait for a person with autism, ability to use a stroller as a wheelchair for a small child without a wheelchair, sitting front and center for shows for someone with visual disabilities.

You don't need a doctor's letter to request a GAC. You just need to be able to explain your needs to the CM at Guest Services in any of the parks. GACS are issued to the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party, can be used in all parks and are usually valid for the entire length of stay.

Sorry for another ?. You said that guest using a wheelchair are able to use the wheelchair accessble lines. Is that for the shows? or is that for the rides also? How would I find the lines for the wheelchair?
Thanks for you help

Hi, minniegidget!

One of the wonderful things about WDW is that many of the lines for the rides are wheelchair accessible. So a guest using a wheelchair will just stay in his wheelchair while waiting in line. All you need to do is get into line with everyone else(smile).

For rides were the lines aren't able to handle a wheelchair (mostly rides in Fantasyland), then a CM will instruct you where to enter the line, which is usually at the exit of the ride. And whenever you don't know you can ask a CM as they are very, very helpful.

The shows will all have seating for guests travelling in their wheelchairs or ECV's and usually (but not always) it is the top row. Again, the CM's will tell you where to go and wait, so it is never a problem. You can get a Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities for each individual park at Guest Relations in that park and that has even more information.

I use a wheelchair and I also get a GAC because some of my medications make me extremely sun-sensitive. I've only had to use it once, but it allows me to wait in a shaded area.

Hope you have a great trip!

Actually in regard to cruise lines and the ADA there have been many lawsuits brought against cruise lines that operate out of US ports regarding the issue of access. At first it looked like the ADA would not govern accessibility of the ships however this has since changed.
When a foreign vessel docks in a US port they are subject to many rules and regualtions issued by the US, such as health and safety, fire codes, imigration laws etc.
The lawsuit was brought against Premier Cruise Lines and the judgement was made that the ADA does extend to vessels that dock in the United States. This case and others like it may at some point end up at the Supreme Court but in the meantime many cruise lines are beginning to implement long term plans to create more access for passengers with disabilities.
The link below has information regarding the decision. If I can find others I will post them here.

http://www.us-flag.org/courrulorfor.html

Here is another link dicussing the ruling, the options being looked at by the International Council on Cruise Lines is doing to plan for the future.

http://www.amputee-coalition.org/inmotion/sep_oct_01/bythesea.html

Again this is not a final decision and it will probably be challenged but it has made the cruise lines more aware of needs and has put the focus on developing and designing more accessible ships in the future. The DOT is also involved and is working on a guideline that can be used as a tool for Cruise Lines in the future regarding accessibility.

Just thought you'd like to know, hope this helps.
:D

Originally posted by minniegidget
Sorry for another ?. You said that guest using a wheelchair are able to use the wheelchair accessble lines. Is that for the shows? or is that for the rides also? How would I find the lines for the wheelchair?
Thanks for you help
To answer your question (and agree with Figaro)
::yes:: Both for rides and shows
Most lines you just go in the regular line. If there is a wheelchair entrance, at some point (usually right before the rest of the line goes to board), you will see a chain or gate with the wheelchair symbol. Wait there for a CM.
Here is a link to the official Disney site's FAQs about touring WDW with disabilities. There's a link on that page that takes you to the text for the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities that Figaro mentioned.
And here's a link to an official Disney page with a list of Mainstream queues (the lines where wheelchair and ecv users wait in the same line with everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter