Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

DLgal

DIS Veteran
Hear me out. I am saying this as a legitimately healthy (not "healthy" but also a smoker, or overweight, or a cancer survivor, etc) 41 year old woman. I kind of wish I would just get this virus so that I could stop stressing about potentially catching it. I'm not sure what is worse at this point. I have anxiety, so just the thought of having to worry about this virus until there is a vaccine is kind of sending me...

But if I just get it, and it's no big deal, then that stress will be GONE. I will be able to keep my late August travel plans without worry that I will catch it on the plane to my friends house. I won't have to worry about the concert we plan to attend (assuming it goes on as scheduled) and being around all those people. I won't have to stress out every time I grocery shop.

On the one hand, it would be nice to not have to worry anymore.

On the other hand, there's always that tiny chance that the virus sends me to the hospital or worse.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought. The only thing keeping me paranoid at home is the fact that I'm here alone with my 2 special needs kids until my husband returns this summer, and being hospitalized right now would be an absolute nightmare scenario. So, I am keeping my butt home except for my once every 2 week trip to the grocery store. But man, would I be psyched if I took an antibody test and found out I already had this virus and didn't know it...

I initially thought the samething however I also recognize this is not the chicken pox meaning you can get it more then once

Hear me out. I am saying this as a legitimately healthy (not "healthy" but also a smoker, or overweight, or a cancer survivor, etc) 41 year old woman. I kind of wish I would just get this virus so that I could stop stressing about potentially catching it. I'm not sure what is worse at this point. I have anxiety, so just the thought of having to worry about this virus until there is a vaccine is kind of sending me...

But if I just get it, and it's no big deal, then that stress will be GONE. I will be able to keep my late August travel plans without worry that I will catch it on the plane to my friends house. I won't have to worry about the concert we plan to attend (assuming it goes on as scheduled) and being around all those people. I won't have to stress out every time I grocery shop.

On the other hand, there's always that tiny chance that the virus sends me to the hospital or worse.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this thought. The only thing keeping me paranoid at home is the fact that I'm here alone with my 2 special needs kids until my husband returns this summer, and being hospitalized right now would be an absolute nightmare scenario. So, I am keeping my butt home except for my once every 2 week trip to the grocery store. But man, would I be psyched if I took an antibody test and found out I already had this virus and didn't know it...
I'm sure you are not alone! Many of us have had those thoughts, I'm sure. I went to donate blood Friday and was told I had a low grade fever of 99.2, which made me wonder, but it was normal by the time I got home. DH said he had mixed feelings about that, as he might like to just get it over with. However, he is a 65 yo ex-smoker so I'm not sure it's a good idea! Also, as we are heading into the peak of the infection, now is not a good time to get sick and need a hospital bed. Where we are is not overwhelmed right now. (yet?)

I agree that would be a "bright side" of catching it and recovering. However, 1) it could mutate and you could potentially catch it again... we just don't know yet if that would happen. 2) I'd hate to gamble on "healthy" being enough to save me. I have heard of several otherwise "healthy without qualifiers" people who have had serious complications, 3) it sounds like you might have some at-risk people in your life, like I do... I'm not willing to gamble that I won't pass it on to them, so I'm doing my best not to get it.

I initially thought the samething however I also recognize this is not the chicken pox meaning you can get it more then once

This is a virus and Fauci has said that it is highly unlikely that you will catch this again.

Two people in their 40s have died in CO. Neither had a condition that would put them in the high risk group. So, no, I don't want to catch this virus.

Nope.
My husband is a type 1 diabetic. We are already at a high enough risk that I don't need anyone making an effort to get it. The thing that makes this particular virus extra is that you can pass it on when you have no symptoms. Imagine you started feeling sick today and it happened to be this virus. Now, just think about everyone and everything you came in contact with for the last two weeks...every cashier, every person you passed, every gas station handle, countertop in a public place, door handle. Every single one of those people and objects is a potential transfer point for the virus. And in two weeks? the people and things you came in contact with at the beginning of this time frame would have EACH come in contact with around the same number as you...and so on and so on. If you don't practice social distancing even when you feel healthy, you could be passing on the virus EXPONENTIALLY. Eventually someone may find their way to me, or my kid, or my husband...and for HIM this virus could mean dire consequences.

So please, for my sake and for the sake of LOTS of people who love someone at risk or are at risk themselves...just deal with the inconvenience and the difficulty of distancing for a while. This is SO much bigger than just how one person feels.

No. Because right now I could face a triage situation and I’m not sure I’d be chosen to live.

I accept I may get the virus. I’m not particularly afraid of the virus. I AM afraid if the consequences and increased fatality rate that would absolutely arise if we lift restrictions before our medical facilities can handle the remaining demand based on the best modeling available

I’ve thought about this too. Virginia is not supposed to peak until June. I figure if 70% of the population is going to get it at some point, it is better to get it before the hospitals are overtaxed. Chances are it would be a mild case, but if I get a really bad case, I could get medical care and hopefully survive. I DO NOT want to get infected at the peak and possibly get pushed aside because I’m 54 and a little over weight.

That said, I’d really rather not get the virus at all. So I’m doing what I can to stay safe and keep my family and community safe.

Yes, and/or, for them to perfect the test that shows if you've already had it at some point. According to health professionals, up to 80% of people may not have any notable symptoms. You could be stressing yourself out over something you've already had. This most likely has been around for MONTHS. It didn't just all of a sudden appear because we had a test. If, as Dr. Fauci has indicated, you are unlikely to catch it again, and you are no longer contagious, things could start re-opening, folks could go back to work, health professionals and nursing home staff that tested that they've already had it could safely care for the most vulnerable, and families could celebrate together again.

I get what you're feeling. I have had the same thoughts. But since I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore, my odds of making it through aren't as great as they used to be.

I am going to assume that I will contract the virus but I am hoping it happens later on when they become more proficient or knowledgeable at treating the serious cases (if they can get better at it).

I work at a grocery store so obviously my chances of catching might be higher then the average person. I am not scared to catch it. I consider myself a healthy 39 year old woman so I am not at high risk for complications or needing hospitalization if I catch it. If I catch it then I develope the anti bodies and contribute to herd immunity which is the whole point until we can reach a vaccine.

No. I'm not worried about myself, but I wouldn't want to put any additional strain on medical resources.

While Dr. Fauci has said that it is likely one would gain immunity, he also said they don't know how long the immunity would last...1 month? A year? There is not enough data yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter