Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

Yes, and/or, for them to perfect the test that shows if you've already had it at some point. According to health professionals, up to 80% of people may not have any notable symptoms. You could be stressing yourself out over something you've already had. This most likely has been around for MONTHS. It didn't just all of a sudden appear because we had a test. If, as Dr. Fauci has indicated, you are unlikely to catch it again, and you are no longer contagious, things could start re-opening, folks could go back to work, health professionals and nursing home staff that tested that they've already had it could safely care for the most vulnerable, and families could celebrate together again.
Somewhere in CO...I think Telluride...is starting this type of test

Edit -added link: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibody-testing-colorado-town-provide-forward/story?id=69856623

Agree that is a bright point, but this is a thread about something that has no bright points - people wanting to get it.
I think there are 'bright points' being discussed throughout the thread; people wanting to get something doesn't equate to there not being any bright point to their thoughts; all how you look at it I suppose.

In any case my thought was taking a positive out there any positive out there. That's the last I'll say on it :)

Funny how many people think they can get it and be ok.... yes, everyone would be thrilled to find out they had the antibodies and may be 'safe'. But the line of thinking that only underlying conditions and elderly are at risk has contributed to the spread. Look at all the spring breakers in Florida recently, when the news is saying they probably won't be affected badly, they disregard all the other messages about distancing. Keep hearing stories about people having gatherings/parties with the attitude "I'll be ok if I get it".

While the odds are dramatically skewed towards the elderly/underlying conditions group...the facts show that ANYONE can die from this... people like throwing around the small percentages of dying from it, but the reality is 50/50 if you get it, you live or die, and you can't know 100% which it will be.

The longer you go without it, the higher the chance of a treatment medication being found until a vaccine can be produced. I'd much rather have a treatment known if I was to get it than roll the dice that I would get the non-deadly outcome if infected.

Dr's have ideas of what may happen, but no one knows for sure how this is going to play out.

the facts show that ANYONE can die from this..

Yes, and ANYONE can die from the flu, strep throat, pneumonia, or driving a car. A classmate of my daughter's, 16 years old, perfectly healthy, on the volleyball team, played a volleyball game, went home feeling a little bad, and died in her sleep from pneumonia. This was 2 years ago. Could have been another coronavirus in play (they've been around for at least 50 years, 19 is just the newest strain). My older brother is in a nursing home, spent a few days in early March in the hospital with a 2005 vintage coronavirus that led to pneumonia.

There are risks in living. It isn't that we think we are "safe" from this particular virus, it is that we understand that there are always risks, have educated ourselves with factual information, not political or media talking points, and make the educated decision that the risk is minimal. We, or at least I, also understand that completely isolating everyone does not make this "go away", nor does it increase the chances of a vaccine or treatment. The medical community will move on to the next problem if there isn't a crisis. Isolation simply stalls the process, kicking the can down the road.

According to MIT, "flattening the curve assumes that you actually don’t go too far and that much of the population actually becomes infected and then immune. " https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/

Funny how many people think they can get it and be ok.... yes, everyone would be thrilled to find out they had the antibodies and may be 'safe'. But the line of thinking that only underlying conditions and elderly are at risk has contributed to the spread. Look at all the spring breakers in Florida recently, when the news is saying they probably won't be affected badly, they disregard all the other messages about distancing. Keep hearing stories about people having gatherings/parties with the attitude "I'll be ok if I get it".

While the odds are dramatically skewed towards the elderly/underlying conditions group...the facts show that ANYONE can die from this... people like throwing around the small percentages of dying from it, but the reality is 50/50 if you get it, you live or die, and you can't know 100% which it will be.

The longer you go without it, the higher the chance of a treatment medication being found until a vaccine can be produced. I'd much rather have a treatment known if I was to get it than roll the dice that I would get the non-deadly outcome if infected.

Dr's have ideas of what may happen, but no one knows for sure how this is going to play out.

What a ridiculous statement to make. You should be ashamed of yourself.

ford family

I saw a doctor from a major NYC hospital (can't remember which one) talk about obesity as a risk factor on PBS news on Sunday. First and only time I heard talk about it, but it seems like an important point that should be discussed given the obesity rate in the US

The ER doctor in NYC told my husband "Maybe now people will realize that being a healthy weight actually means something. We aren't telling people to not be obese because we are fat shaming them. Weight has a direct correlation to your ability to survive in a situation like this."

The ER doctor in NYC told my husband "Maybe now people will realize that being a healthy weight actually means something. We aren't telling people to not be obese because we are fat shaming them. Weight has a direct correlation to your ability to survive in a situation like this."
I'm a normal weight, but it made me think twice about all of the ice cream I have been stress eating!

Even though you mistakenly seem to think being skinny will protect you from getting a severe case of coronavirus and that somehow makes you lower risk and better than others who aren't skinny, sorry to tell you it doesn't. The virus doesn't care.

It's like all underlying health conditions, it puts you at a higher risk of complications but it's not a direct correlation to being able to survive. That's a completely different thing you're talking about. Being overweight isn't the same as your body being unable to survive.

For instance you can be overweight and yet have low blood pressure, you can be overweight and yet have low LDL cholesterol, you can be overweight and have low levels of and those also interact with how your body may respond to any health crisis. Take a person who is normal weight but has higher blood pressure and they have underlying health conditions. Take a person with normal weight and if they have asthma they have underlying health conditions, take a person with normal weight who vaped and/or smoked and now they have underlying health conditions and so on.

All the discussion regarding underlying health conditions means you're an increased risk of complications. Everyone however can seemingly get the virus and being "healthy" does not mean you won't get complications from it.

When I was eleven I had back surgery and my lung collapsed during the procedure. I woke up on a ventilator. You do NOT want to be on a ventilator. It's a horrible feeling not being in control of your own breathing. Then when they have to disconnect you from the air in order to suck out the collected mucus in the tube, your breathing is completely shut down, you can't even gasp for breath.

It's been almost 30 years and I still get upset when I think about it.

Even though you mistakenly seem to think being skinny will protect you from getting a severe case of coronavirus and that somehow makes you lower risk and better than others who aren't skinny, sorry to tell you it doesn't. The virus doesn't care.

I never said anything of the sort. I am not skinny, either.

Obesity is different than just being a bit overweight. Obesity makes it very hard to survive Covid pneumonia.

It's like all underlying health conditions, it puts you at a higher risk of complications but it's not a direct correlation to being able to survive. That's a completely different thing you're talking about. Being overweight isn't the same as your body being unable to survive.

For instance you can be overweight and yet have low blood pressure, you can be overweight and yet have low LDL cholesterol, you can be overweight and have low levels of and those also interact with how your body may respond to any health crisis. Take a person who is normal weight but has higher blood pressure and they have underlying health conditions. Take a person with normal weight and if they have asthma they have underlying health conditions, take a person with normal weight who vaped and/or smoked and now they have underlying health conditions and so on.

All the discussion regarding underlying health conditions means you're an increased risk of complications. Everyone however can seemingly get the virus and being "healthy" does not mean you won't get complications from it.

I agree. I am a little overweight. However, my blood pressure, fasting blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides, and all other numbers are normal. I exercise 4-5 times a week, every week. I have great lung capacity.

But I read that in Italy, and some other countries, they were barring anyone with a BMI over 25 from being intubated and given a ventilator. That was sobering, because my own BMI is 26.2. It has really thrown me into a dedicated effort to get my BMI down below 25, because if that is the criteria they decide to put in place here, I'd be screwed.

Last edited:
I get what you're feeling. I have had the same thoughts. But since I'm not a "spring chicken" anymore, my odds of making it through aren't as great as they used to be.

I am going to assume that I will contract the virus but I am hoping it happens later on when they become more proficient or knowledgeable at treating the serious cases (if they can get better at it).

100% agree. It ran through my mind too just like OP, and was snuffed with thinking time may help us towards better treatment. With global resources giving it attention, odds are pretty good they come up with a few tricks for better chances at recovery.

aNd says it is worse than what we see on TV.
Seeing a fish out of water comes to mind when seeing what people look like in the throws of C19. Harsh but true.

Sometimes we need to see that mangled car wreck to appreciate unnecessary risk.

But I read that in Italy, and some other countries, they were barring anyone with a BMI over 25 from being intubated and given a ventilator. That was sobering, because my own BMI is 26.2. It has really thrown me into a dedicated effort to get my BMI down below 25, because if that is the criteria they decide to put in place here, I'd be screwed.
We aren't like that here IMO as in using that criteria for it purely my opinion as it stands at the moment but of course hard to say never ya know (not that I don't get your overall concern though). And to be honest I haven't read anything regarding Italy doing that with respects to using BMI as a deciding factor.

I'm pretty sure I've had it. Whatever I had sucked. The rest of my family had a lighter (but clearly related) illness, and they had it first.

I'm ready for a test that will tell me if that was it, or if I need to twitch every time my preschooler coughs.

Yep. Just about time to get stuff going again. Can’t keep it all closed much longer.
At some point enough is enough.

Last edited:
We were told the same in a medical briefing. 99% we know now will recover fine. In the end it will be less than 1% mortality rate. But we were told the same. Healthy weight equals healthy survival of this..in most cases. Being somewhat overweight isn’t a big deal. But once you get past that. Bad things can happen.

What a ridiculous statement to make. You should be ashamed of yourself.

ford family
Not sure why I would be ashamed of myself.. its the truth. Plenty of people who aren't in the demographics we are told are vulnerable ARE dying from this..if you get it, you don't know what the outcome is going to be. You didn't add too much to the discussion there.

Yes, and ANYONE can die from the flu, strep throat, pneumonia, or driving a car.

According to MIT, "flattening the curve assumes that you actually don’t go too far and that much of the population actually becomes infected and then immune. " https://thereader.mitpress.mit.edu/flattening-the-coronavirus-curve-is-not-enough/

Yes, but now the U.S. Government is predicting 100K-240K deaths from Covid 19, this is multiple times the flu... and the U.S. Government has been way behind estimating the severity of the impact so far. Your other examples happen on a more individual basis, while dying from strep throat does happen, it doesn't happen on the scale of what's going on now.

Again, yes.. populations have to build an immunity, but i'd MUCH rather get this if i'm going to with a medication available that could increase my odds of surviving.
I don't think anything has 'gone too far' yet...we are still on the increase of infections and deaths.. flattening the curve is to prevent overloading the medical systems right now, it won't totally stop the spread. People will continue to get the virus now and after distancing rules are relaxed, so immunity will continue to develop...not as fast than not being locked down, but it will continue to happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter