Does anyone use Macro lenses in Disney?

I've thought about it, but never actually toted my one macro lens because it's big, heavy and would get limited use.

I've thought about it, but never actually toted my one macro lens because it's big, heavy and would get limited use.
On the flipside, I have toted one around before... because it turns out the 105 f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor is smaller than a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom if you want a fast general purpose telephoto lens. Never used it for close focusing though.

Maybe the 40/50/55/60mm macro lenses, used for copy stand and art reproduction work, could get use as a general purpose lens where you want lines in a photo dead straight due to their exceptionally low distortion, as well as if you wanted close focus on flowers or similar, but a fast mid zoom will get you to 5:1 or better, and most of the kit lenses sit at around 3.5:1 max repro ratios, more than enough for casual macro work.

yea, that's what I am debating. Not sure if it's worth bringing..
My 105MM Macro could double as a portrait lens, but it's 2.8 and I prefer to use 1.8 at least in Disney due to all the low light situations. And it weighs a ton

My 105MM Macro could double as a portrait lens, but it's 2.8 and I prefer to use 1.8 at least in Disney due to all the low light situations. And it weighs a ton
There isn't a 105mm f/1.8 in the major mounts, but there are f/1.4, which weigh even more than the f/2.8's. The options at f/2 all weigh about the same, so it ends up being the choice between f/2.8 with IS/VR, and f/2 without. For what they are, the 105mm f/2.8 Macro options are pretty light, lighter than a 70-200 f/4, and about the same as a 70-300 f/5.6.

As for low light, that depends a lot on your sensor, but I definitely have bodies that work fine inside dark rides at f/2.8 if they can focus - indeed, my AF systems run out of light before I run out of ISO in most situations at f/2.8.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter