Does MS ever split 2br lockoffs to fill studio and/or 1 br reservations?

jekjones1558

Always happy at Disney
I have always wondered about this question regarding lockoffs vs. 2 bedrooms at all of the resorts. If I call MS for a BW view 1 bedroom or studio, for instance, and there are only 2 bedrooms available, does MS have any authority to split up the 2 bedroom? Maybe if within a certain amount of time until check-in? Or maybe if there is a waitlist for the other side of the 2 br unit?

I asked about that once and they do not keep a certain number of lock-offs held as 2br. MS told me "It's first come first serve", but you might get a different answer from a different CM.

It's quite common to split 2-br lock-off's into a 1-br and a studio. In fact, it's the only way you could ever get a 1-br or a studio at OKW, SSR, HH, or VB, since those resorts don't have any dedicated 1-br's or studios.

(And yes, I know, VB does have Inn rooms. They just don't have any dedicated studios.)

It's quite common to split 2-br lock-off's into a 1-br and a studio.
I realize this. I guess my question is really stated incorrectly. I should have asked whether MS identifies lockoffs as 2 br or 1 br or studio, or is there just one big inventory and studios, 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms are booked chronologically until there is eventually nothing left in any of those 3 categories?

I asked about that once and they do not keep a certain number of lock-offs held as 2br. MS told me "It's first come first serve", but you might get a different answer from a different CM.
My info suggests the opposite, that DVC specifically holds a portion of of the 2 BR units as 2 BR and splits a portion and that they predetermine that mix. While I'm sure they re-evaluate as time goes on and might change the mix, I've seen a number of situations where they had a 1 BR and studio that were lockoff's and wouldn't put them together. And I've seen a number of times where they had plenty of 2 BR lockoff's but wouldn't split them up for the individual member. I'm sure there are other factors like parking, pool saturation, housekeeping and the like that play into the equation.

When you make a reservation, they do mark it as lockoff or not. One time I made a reservation at BW and requested a dedicated 1 bedroom and the cm said my reservation was already for a dedicated. The way I've heard it is they book the dedicateds first and when they are full, then they start splitting the lockoffs. I usually book a 1 bedroom at BW at 11 months and almost everytime got a dedicated, supporting that theory.

When you make a reservation, they do mark it as lockoff or not. One time I made a reservation at BW and requested a dedicated 1 bedroom and the cm said my reservation was already for a dedicated. The way I've heard it is they book the dedicateds first and when they are full, then they start splitting the lockoffs. I usually book a 1 bedroom at BW at 11 months and almost everytime got a dedicated, supporting that theory.
I'm sure their goal is to book dedicated units first, it makes no sense to approach it in any other way. I think the OP is coming from the other direction, namely, if there are no 1 BR or studios available but they do have 2 BR lockoff's.

I think the OP is coming from the other direction, namely, if there are no 1 BR or studios available but they do have 2 BR lockoff's.

YES! Do they routinely split up 2 br lockoffs if these are available when a member calls requesting a studio or 1 br?

I have received a lockoff 1 bedroom or studio when booking more than 7 months ahead, so they do split them up early.

I had a lockoff studio last 4/21-27, I booked it 7/6/06.

I have received a lockoff 1 bedroom or studio when booking more than 7 months ahead, so they do split them up early.

I had a lockoff studio last 4/21-27, I booked it 7/6/06.
Debbie, we all know they split off lockoff's and book some of them as separate units. If I understand the original question correctly, that's not the question either. Lets look at it this way. Say there is only 1 unit left and it's a 2 BR lockoff that has not already been split in the reservation system and you call for a 1 BR for those dates. They would not split this unit for you from what I've seen in the past.

YES! Do they routinely split up 2 br lockoffs if these are available when a member calls requesting a studio or 1 br?
As I tried to say before and also above, my info says no. They will not split a 2 BR lockoff just because you call and want the smaller unit. But I'm sure it depends on specifics.

What Dean mentions is similar to something I was told when I asked how they determine when to split 2BRs into 1BR and studio. It is based on estimated demand for 2BRs and they hold many lock-offs to be reserved as 2BRs (at the same time, they allow many others to be reserved as 1BR and studio). As time passes, e.g., you get past the 7 month window, if there are still unreserved 2BRs, they start opening some more up for 1BR and studio.

I would think it is in DVC's best interest to split lockoffs into a 1BR and studio, based on the fact that the point charge for a 2BR is less than the 1BR+studio. This way DVC gets more points for the same rooms, which means that they then have more rooms left to rent for cash. Does this make sense?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter