"Don't Forget to Try a Turkey Leg"

disneyworldtraveler

Disney Traveler
A few veteran WDW's told us not to forget to try the famous turkey legs, that they're a "meal in itself" and the tastiest turkey we'll ever eat. So what's the best park/resort to get them in and are they really worth the price? We're staying at Coronado Springs but will be in all the parks.

If I remember correctly (it's been a while), there's a turkey leg cart on your right, as you're walking from Liberty Square into Frontierland, at the Magic Kingdom. I could be wrong though.

We have things we have to get in each park. Those specific snacks "belong" to that park. Turkey legs taste the best in Frontier Land at the MK.

The Turkey Leg, hands down, is the best snack for us and soooo worth the price! It's so mouth watering delicious and not too strong of a smoke flavor. It works perfectly for our family....2 adults, 3 kiddos. We also like the turkey leg because it is a healthy protein for us.:thumbsup2

This is sort of off topic, but I had to laugh when I saw "turkey leg". We've never had the turkey legs at WDW, although we have had them at DL. They were HUGE! But the reason why I laugh? We were recently at Tokyo DL (end of March) and saw several people eating the turkey legs there. Gosh, those things were so small! Looked more like large chicken legs to me. Maybe the turkeys in Japan are not as big as they are in the US. :D

This is sort of off topic, but I had to laugh when I saw "turkey leg". We've never had the turkey legs at WDW, although we have had them at DL. They were HUGE! But the reason why I laugh? We were recently at Tokyo DL (end of March) and saw several people eating the turkey legs there. Gosh, those things were so small! Looked more like large chicken legs to me. Maybe the turkeys in Japan are not as big as they are in the US. :D

More like, a WDW turkey leg would feed an entire Japanese family, so they scaled things down a bit!

Foreigners are always going on about how huge American food portions are.

This thread reminds me of the time I visited a poultry farm in Missouri. As I was talking to the farmer, I saw, out of the corner of my eye, something run past, but I didn't catch it. So I continued my tour and a short time later, again, I caught a shadow streaking past me out of the corner of my eye. I asked the farmer what I was seeing, and he told me they're breeding three-legged turkeys! That way, you get a third more meat from one animal.

"Do they taste any better?" I asked.

"Don't know," said the farmer. "We've never caught one."

:rotfl2:

I've never considered them tasty but apparently enough do that they are popular. Apparently they are no longer served in Animal Kingdom, but there are places in all of the other 3 parks to get them.

It's tradition for me to get one in the Frontierland cart at MK. From Liberty Square, head towards the bridge to Splash and Big Thunder Mountain looking to your right. If you get to the bridge that goes to both mountains, you've gone too far. If for some reason I was unable to get my traditional MK turkey legs, I get it over and the Fife and Drum kiosk in America over in the World Showcase. Those are my two favorite parks and usually both get multiple days from me, so those are my best bets.

WDW TURKEY LEGS "411":
1) Disney sells about 1.5 MILLION turkey legs every year!
2) That is about 7 turkey legs for every man-woman-child in Orlando.
3) Each of these bird legs weighs about 1.5 pounds for about $12 or 1-CS DDP Credit.
4) They supposedly come from 40-50 pound turkeys!
5) Nutrition, per Lisa Haines, VP Communications, WDW
. . . about a half day's worth of a grown-man's calorie goal (1,092 calories each leg)
. . . about a day's worth of a grown-man's fat goal (54 gr each leg)
. . . about two day's worth of a grown-man's sodium goal (5,283 gr each leg)
6) Recipe
. . . take uber-monstrous one leg
. . . inject copious amounts of salt brine
. . . smoke slowly at 225º for 4 hrs.
7) Available at the below (all Turkey Legs taste the same, and from the same vendor)
. . . MK - Liberty Square at Turkey Leg Cart
. . . MK - Tomorrowland at Launching Pad
. . . EP - America Adventure at Fife and Drum Tavern
. . . AK - Flame Tree BBQ at Safari Turkey
. . . AK - Dinoland at Trilo Bites
. . . AK - Africa at Flame Tree BBQ
. . . HS - Tower of Terror at Toluca Legs Turkey Company
. . . TL - Surf Doggies
. . . BL - Avalaunch
NOTE: We really do like the taste of the turkey legs. However, we seldom finish one, so
we save the calories for later. We still get the legs when we have a hankerin'. Additionally,
they do seem to be pretty "stringy".

It's tradition for me to get one in the Frontierland cart at MK. From Liberty Square, head towards the bridge to Splash and Big Thunder Mountain looking to your right. If you get to the bridge that goes to both mountains, you've gone too far. If for some reason I was unable to get my traditional MK turkey legs, I get it over and the Fife and Drum kiosk in America over in the World Showcase. Those are my two favorite parks and usually both get multiple days from me, so those are my best bets.
Thanks for the directions. We'll be heading over that way, for sure!

My husband had the turkey leg at Flame Tree in Animal Kingdom and said it was much less salty than the ones at MK.

It was noted on here that Animal Kingdom has either stopped selling turkey legs or will soon stop selling them. I think it was speculated that the bones were not being disposed of properly by guests.

My son had one years ago, and DD and I tried to help him eat it.

To me, it was a bit greasy, way too salty, and tasted a lot like bacon.

They are huge. Huge. We tossed about half of it.

My son had one years ago, and DD and I tried to help him eat it.

To me, it was a bit greasy, way too salty, and tasted a lot like bacon.

They are huge. Huge. We tossed about half of it.

Same here. My son wanted to try one and it was just ok....I also felt like it was too greasy for my liking. We didn't finish ours either. But at least we can say we had one! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter