Driving by myself from Baltimore thinking about stopping in Savannah?

suevee

<font color=red>I am in a frenzy!<br><font color=r
This is the first time driving by myself to WDW. On the return trip my 5 grandchildren will be joining me and two of them drive so it may or may not be easier..lol

I am thinking about stopping in Savannah. Any suggestions for a safe clean hotel would be appreciated. Also are there any must sees in Savannah? I have never been there. Thanks

There are lots of good, name brand hotels in the Savannah area out on I-95. Or you could find similar ones right in downtown Savannah. We're partial to Marriott properties.

As far as must sees in Savannah goes, I'd suggest the hop on/hop off bus to take in the popular sites. The River Walk is a must as is poking around a few of the "squares". For dining, I highly recommend the Olde Pink House, which I reviewed for Foodie Tales a few years ago. foodietales.com/2013/04/the-olde-pink-house-savannah-ga/

Savannah is very nice and highly recommended. Very walkable. The tours are very good and fun as well. We were only there for a short weekend for a family wedding and would return in a heartbeat.

If you are into Forrest Gump, Chippewa Square is where he waited for the bus, and actual bench is in the Savannah History Museum to see.

SueVee Here on the other side of the Chesapeake in De and we also drive down. Prior to getting our Motor Home we would stop for night at one of Nation Chain motels and found most to be fine. If you belong to AARP, AMAC OR AAA odds are you can book a decent one at a nice discount. Days Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Best Western were all good to us.
Word of advice on gas prices NC adds taxes that up price dramatically We fill up in Va. ( Plenty of places just north of the border in Va think exit 11 or 4 to top off before or after NC) You will also a deep drop in SC from NC We try and top off somewhere around exit 8 or 3

Are you thinking of Savannah as your only stopping point? As a solo driver that’s a LONG stretch. I would stop at more of a halfway mark for safety’s sake.

I plan to stop every 2 to 3 hours to stretch my legs and rest my eyes. I live between DC and Baltimore so about a 9 hour drive. If I leave around 530 am. Stop for breakfst around 9, late lunch around 1pm. Then a break around 430. I hope to stop in Savannah around 630 at the latest. I plan to be back on the road around 6 am the next day arriving in WDW around noon.

I also have AARP and have a military ID. So i hope to find discounts.

My parents drive from NY to FL for the winter. This past January, they stopped in Savannah off 95 and stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham. They were a walk-in but got a good rate of around $100 and there was a restaurant in walking distance that they had dinner at. They said they'd stay again if they stop in Savannah next time. Very convenient for them on their commute.

I plan to stop every 2 to 3 hours to stretch my legs and rest my eyes. I live between DC and Baltimore so about a 9 hour drive. If I leave around 530 am. Stop for breakfst around 9, late lunch around 1pm. Then a break around 430. I hope to stop in Savannah around 630 at the latest. I plan to be back on the road around 6 am the next day arriving in WDW around noon.
I live in DC and drive to Savannah (Hilton Head actually) every summer with the family. I've done the drive solo a few times.

Broken into 3 blocks, its a manageable day. Its right around 600 miles from NW DC, so three 200 mile segments works out well. We usually leave from NW DC around 5 AM, and hit the VA-NC border for breakfast around 8, which is the first 200 miles. Then we go the next 200 miles in around 3 hours, and have lunch somewhere in SC, usually south of Florence. One 200 mile/3 hour segment and you're there. With a 5 AM departure, we're usually on Hilton Head sometime between 3 and 4, which would be the same time as arriving in Savannah (since Hilton Head is 45ish minutes off 95).

I like leaving as early as possible, so that we're out of the Richmond-DC corridor of 95 ASAP. That usually means on the DC beltway (at the VD-MD bridge) around 5:15 AM.

I agree leaving early to miss DC traffic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!