Driving from Las Vegas to Disneyland

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, or if it should be on the Disneyland thread. How is the route to Disneyland from Vegas? any places we need to be careful? where in LA does traffic really pick up? According to Mapquest it is only 4 hours away, but I am sure it doesn't take into account traffic. We will be leaving Vegas on a Monday morning. I would like to leave early 6-7 am, what time should I expect to get to Disneyland?

I've did the reverse last year and will be doing it again this year and if there is one thing I learned it's never, on a weekday, hit the L.A. area after 8 am until at least late evening.

It took us four hours to get some 20 miles last year. Traffic was pretty intense at least halfway between LA to Barstow

Between Barstow and Vegas the drive was pretty smooth.

Unless you are talking about Labor Day Monday it will be an easy drive leaving early on a weekday.

It will take between 3.5 and 4 hours. Add time for gas/restroom breaks. It will of course take some extra time to get parked or check into your hotel in Anaheim.

i live in vegas and have driven to LA numerous times and to disneyland about 3 times and i am leaving again on the 23rd. i usually go the google maps way, i15 to 60 to 57 and it has never been real bad. especially if you compare to actual LA city traffic that appears out of nowhere.

barring an accident, the times you find on most mapping programs will be fairly accurate on this route. with a gas stop and a fast food meal/snack/bathroom break in barstow (lenwood exit, about halfway) you should be in the 5hr mark.

but if you are leaving from the strip area you could subtract 20-30 minutes. i live about that far from there so 5hrs is my typical time

We will be leaving Vegas on a Monday morning. I would like to leave early 6-7 am, what time should I expect to get to Disneyland?
Expect to reach Disneyland between 11AM and 12:30PM. It can take only 4 hours so you may get their earlier.

My personal record time is 4 hours, 15 minutes; from the 15 at Flamingo to the Embassy Suites on Harbor Blvd, on a Friday night, leaving Vegas at 5 pm and getting to Anaheim at 9:15 pm; and not stopping at all.

DH's record time (in reverse) is 3 hours 45 minutes from Anaheim Stadium to our house in the Spring Valley area of Las Vegas . . . but that's leaving Anaheim at 10:30 at night after an Angels game.

I would take the 15 to the 210 to the 57 and get off on Ball Rd or Katella or Chapman, depending on where your hotel is in the Disneyland area. Katella will be the busiest street.

Everyone always says this trip takes around 4 hours. We have made this trip countless times and have yet to do it in 4 hours. For us, it is usually closer to 5. Of course, I always have to stop at least once to pee. DH always takes that as another opportunity to eat. I would leave earlier or later than your plan. You are going to be in Monday morning LA traffic at a bad time with your plan. It is a safe trip, so no worries there. In 20+ trips that way, we have never had an issue (other than one scary, snowy morning through the mountains, which we made it safely out of).

So, can someone tell me when does the LA traffic really pick up in the morning? originally I planned on leaving between 6 and 7. We are probably going to bump that up to leave between 4 and 5. And where into LA can we expect the traffic?

thanks!

Usually between 6 - 10 am.

YMMV

Woody

Agreed. I always try to avoid the surrounding freeways at least from 7am-9am and again from 4pm-6pm. They are always busy, but those seem to be the worst times to me. You cannot escape the traffic. If you are in or near LA, you will enconuter traffic. My Dad likes to leave between 3am and 4am from Vegas to avoid traffic. We like to leave Las Vegas around 8am-9am. It cuts into the day, but we feel too tired to make it throughout the day leaving earlier than that. We leave Anaheim before 3pm or after 6pm to return to Vegas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter