Driving from NYC on 4/19, any way to avoid DC traffic?

stevets

CARTHAGE MUST BE DESTROYED
Driving from NYC on 4/19. I usually take I-95 from the NJT down but always hit traffic in the DC area. Is there any way to avoid DC traffic? Maybe a way around it?

Also, what is the best time to drive by DC?

Maybe the beltway? The best time to hit DC is anytime between 10am and 3 pm. There will be traffic, but nothing like after those hours. Anyway you slice it, the traffic from NYC down can be nasty at times. Especially the NJTPK.

My SIL just informed me that there is a ferry that goes from Cape May, NJ to Delware, I think. She said it totally cuts off the DC/Baltimore area. :)

My SIL just informed me that there is a ferry that goes from Cape May, NJ to Delware, I think. She said it totally cuts off the DC/Baltimore area.

Since DC and Baltimore are south of Delaware, I doubt this would cut out anything.

Unfortunately, if you drive I-95, DC is a problem that must be dealt with. No matter which direction you head when you get to I-495 (the legendary Capitol beltway) you wind up in the jaws of the mixing bowl when it finally joins up with the "real" I-95 in Va.
Gail is right--we've had some success in going thru in the 10:00AM 3:00 PM time. But there still is a ton of traffic at those times.
These days, we try to get past DC NLT than 6:00 AM--and even then the traffic can be seen building to an intolerable level.

Uncleromulus is right. The best way to get thru DC going down is before 6am on a work day. When we still use to drive, we would leave northern NJ by 2-2:30am, and be thru the DC area by 6am. The traffice would start building, but anything later than that was a total fiasco!

Driving home, we would time it to pass thru DC around 10-11am, and we never had any problems.

April 19 is a Saturday, so maybe you won't have to worry so much about commuter traffic, although it is Easter weekend.:rolleyes: Good Luck, and have a great trip!:):):)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

LOL, Gail I may have my facts a little off :) But there is a ferry, because she took it last trip up. I will find out point A - point B.

Originally posted by stevets
. Is there any way to avoid DC traffic? Maybe a way around it?

Fly........
tongue3.gif

LOL, Gail I may have my facts a little off But there is a ferry, because she took it last trip up. I will find out point A - point B.

LOL, well, I do that all the time. :) Do let us know, please, cause if I ever get an insane urge to drive to WDW, I would love to know how to avoid something I totally hated when I lived there.

Well I found it Gail, unfortunately, I can't get the page to come up :( See it does exsist ;)

Welcome aboard! The Cape May-Lewes Ferry is the most memorable way
to travel between Delaware and New Jersey. Our car ferries make ...
Description: Schedule between Cape May, NJ and Lewes, Delaware.
Category: Regional > North America > ... > Delaware > Localities > L > Lewes
www.capemaylewesferry.com/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Heading south from the Baltimore beltway, you could take I97 south (towards Annapolis). Pick up Route 3/301 & take it south across Route 50 & into Southern Maryland. There are traffic lights, but it sure beats the Washington International Speedway - oops, I mean, the Washington Capital Beltway :). Proceed through Waldorf & LaPlata, MD & cross the Potomac River at the Potomac River Bridge into Dahlgren, VA. The bridge, I believe, is $3.oo to get out of MD :). The best prices for gas are just over the bridge in Dahlgren. Continue on 301 to, I believe, Route 207 & pick up I95 well south of DC, just north of Richmond.

If you take the Cape May ferry, then you can pick up 301 on the Eastern Shore & take it across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, through Annapolis & head south on 301 about 10-15 miles west of Annapolis.

We have driven down from Central NJ a few times and we find it's best to leave at night. We leave at about 7pm and hit the beltway by 10:30 or 11:00. We haven't hit any traffic at this time but this only works if you drive straight through the night. The kids sleep through most of the drive and my husband and I take shifts driving. We arrive in Orlando between 11am and 12 noon, check in to our hotel early, lounge by the pool, and go to sleep early. The next day we are ready for Disney!

Good Luck and have a great trip!
Joan :D

While I have never made it north of NJ I think that your best bet is to go down through NJ and take the Ferry and head south through DE and MD. I live in Ocean City, MD which is right on the coast just south of the DE line. Everytime we have driven to FL we head south down RT 113 and go through the Bay Bridge tunnel. I am originally from the Baltimore area and compared to their light traffic our roads are barren.

Hope this helps!
Mel

Steve,
On weekdays you should try to be past DC by 6AM. There is a window of medium traffic from 10AM-2PM but be aware that they usually open the draw bridge on 495 around noon to let boat traffic through on the Potomac. As far as the weekends you should still try to be past DC before 9AM to beat the weekend rush of errand and shopping traffic. It is very unpredictable here due to all the 95/495 interchange construction in VA. The lightest traffic is usually from 8PM-5AM but you will be in a sea of semi-trucks trying to avoid the same stuff as you. Here's a website to check out.
USASTAR 95 Info

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter