Dudley Do-Wrong

Thanks for the update. We usually bring a couple of dollars to get coins to shoot the guns and my daughter was sad that they weren't allowing them.

I wish they would put one set of free lockers in that area since all 3 water rides are near each other.
As others stated I do the ziploc bag for my phone/wallet as well to keep it dry at any park I go to and it works great. Definitely recommend that for future trips.

But since the lockers for water rides are optional, there is no incentive for Universal to put in free ones. No parks around here have free lockers for any rides, even roller coasters where you can't bring stuff on (or water rides). The fact that UO & Disney provide free lockers is just a really nice perk. If you want the convenience of a locker to store your stuff while you get wet, there is a cost. Or bring ziplocs, or walk to other lockers.

We paid to store our stuff in the lockers that are to the left of Ripshaw Falls. You get enough time to store them for Ripshaw and Bluto's. Well worth the $5

The worst part of that ride for me is getting in and out. I consider myself fairly limber, but something about those logs just don't fit me.

This is why I refuse to ride it again! lol We got soaked and stuck at the top for about 20 minutes, but trying to get out of the log made me feel like a beached whale, and I'm not that big.

Blutos. You will come off looking like you jumped in a pool followed by a waterfall and then jumped in a lake on a day where a monsoon rolled in.
:thumbsup2Likely, the best description I’ve seen
I'm at Universal right now and the guns are working, but only every third one (for distancing).
That’s a shame? Not

the irony of riding an attraction (that I know will soak me) but still becoming annoyed after being squirted is not lost upon me :blush:

That really stinks. It's one of the reasons I don't really ride water rides cause I'd rather not be wet for next hour or worse, depending on how soaked you get. I'll do Splash Mountain and will do Jurassic Park as you can get splashed on those rides but not outright soaked.

Have not been on these boards in so long I guess they deleted me. I had to make a new sign in. :oops:
My wife and I took our kids to UO at least one trip, sometimes twice, every year while they were pre-teens/teens. We always stayed onsite for the length of stay and learned our very first trip that we needed to wear appropriate clothes on the days we were planning to ride the three water rides in IOA. We would put on swim trunks, tee shirts and water sandles and carry towels in a "pool bag". We would rent a locker, put everything but our suits and shoes in there (wallets, keys, phones, etc., etc.). We would then ride the three rides multiple times until we had had our fill for the trip, get our towels and dry off, then go back to the hotel (usually Portofino) to change and enjoy the rest of the day.

Have not been on these boards in so long I guess they deleted me. I had to make a new sign in. :oops:
My wife and I took our kids to UO at least one trip, sometimes twice, every year while they were pre-teens/teens. We always stayed onsite for the length of stay and learned our very first trip that we needed to wear appropriate clothes on the days we were planning to ride the three water rides in IOA. We would put on swim trunks, tee shirts and water sandles and carry towels in a "pool bag". We would rent a locker, put everything but our suits and shoes in there (wallets, keys, phones, etc., etc.). We would then ride the three rides multiple times until we had had our fill for the trip, get our towels and dry off, then go back to the hotel (usually Portofino) to change and enjoy the rest of the day.
Exactly how we do it, except we usually stay at RPR, plus we also hit the pool and spa there before changing.

90% of the time you will get drenched on this ride regardless of the water curtain.

Jurassic Park...youre going to get a little wet, you could get very wet 5050

Dudley Do Right. You will get very wet and you may get drenched.

Blutos. You will come off looking like you jumped in a pool followed by a waterfall and then jumped in a lake on a day where a monsoon rolled in.
This is how the descriptors should read on signs going in :rotfl2:

The rides are super fun but yeah-we are in the 'wear quick dry clothes -including undergarments-flipflops and then head to hotel after we are done riding' group.
I honestly didn't know I could achieve that degree of wetness/soaked before doing Bluto's!!
One of the times I did Jurassic Park this summer I didn't even get a single drop on me! It was so hot and I was actually mad LOL!!

Yeah... I never heard, or thought of the "curtain of water" breaking, or not breaking determining whether you get wet, or not. On any ride regardless you're going to get to some degree of wet from my experience. This ride definitely is no Splash Mountain. On Ripsaw Falls you're going to not just get wet, but soaked. Even more so when people are using the guns at the end. It doesn't matter what temperature, how many people are on it, or where you sit, unlike some "log flume" rides this is the one ride where you're going to get soaked period.

Personally, knowing that when it comes to life "it happens", if I plan to go on anything with water I bring a little ziplock bag, or if there is a slight chance of rain I bring one too. As I do not mind getting wet, but I do mind my electronics doing so. I always recommend that to people, because you can buy a certain case, or bag, but just about everyone has at least a ziplock bag at home.

Also, I do not know if you guys are roller coaster fans, but I remember in high school (when I first came) we rode the roller coasters a couple of times to dry off a decent amount. Sometimes you can't afford to do the wait time and what not for all that. However, I do not think you'll be riding this ride anytime soon anyway. I'm sorry about your daughter's iPhone.

@Monykalyn I know right? I'm pretty sure that Ripsaw Falls and PopEye's (and I could be wrong since it's been a few years since I rode them) warning about water I think is slightly worded different to imply you could be more than likely soaked, than just wet at least.

I don't recall the water curtain parting or not on Ripsaw Falls but I know there's a spot in the beginning when you come down small hill and water just pours into the log. That always gets me drenched. I have to imagine the water curtain parting or not is mechanical/automatic and not up to the ride operator. Perhaps it happens sporadically or perhaps it was malfunctioning that day.

As PP mentions, there ARE lockers next to the ride and we always bite the bullet and pay for it to keep my purse and our phones in it. Universal does not provide them for free because the ride is not intense enough to require you to be bag-free for restraint/safety purposes, so no reason to provide them for free. We will leave our stuff there and go do Jurassic Park right after as well.

Sorry about the phone, definitely a lesson learned. We've learned over time how to best plan for this ride and work it into the day logistically. If we know we are going back to our hotel, we'll make it a point to do these rides last thing, even if it means hopping to IOA just for them. This way, we only have to stay in our wet clothes for the 20 minutes it takes to walk back to our hotel. We also pack extra sneakers in our suitcase to wear while our other sneakers dry out. We'll stick newspaper in our luggage and will put that in our sneakers to dry them out more quickly. With the water sloshing back and forth in the bottom of the log, my shoes are always soaked.

Have you ever looked at the Dudley Do-Right Rip Saw Falls and thought, "That looks fun!" Yeah, we did, too! But I have to put this warning out. We got totally screwed on this ride. Yes, it is fun and witty. Yes, the drop is great. But if you watch the youtube videos, you'll see right before the drop a curtain of water that falls on the track as you go up. On ALL the videos, the water curtain parts as you get to it. But last week, it didn't part for us. We got crazy soaked, drenched, deluged, etc. And everyone we saw getting off that day was completely wet, too. We're not talking Splash Mt, or even the water you get on Jurassic Park. We're talking every article of clothing is wet COMPLETELY.

The bad part is it ruined my daughter's iPhone. Of course, Universal said they took no responsibility for it. But man, if the operator isn't going to part the water curtain, this ride should have lockers for our stuff.

Just a fair warning to you all. If you go there and people look wet getting off, that's ok. If people looked like they just jumped in the pool, keeping walking no matter how hot you are.

I always get drenched on all of the water rides in Universal. My SO loves them, so she always wears a raincoat. We’re hikers/backpackers. We use dry sacks for wet rides if lockers aren’t available.

I love them as well and don't mind getting wet at the time but hate the drenched feeling for hours after. It's not bad when it's really warm so you dry off quick but on mild days it can be frustrating. I always debate taking a poncho with me for them to help but just an extra thing for me to carry though since i usually don't have a bag. Last trip was the first time I stayed on site so it was nice to be able to put them at the end of the day and then just go back to the room afterwards.

FYI at Animal Kingdom at WDW (at least this was true a couple of months ago when we went), they were operating their water ride (Kali River Rapids) without the water features turned on. So we got a little bit wet from splashing, but no huge waterfalls soaking us. I assumed they turned off the waterfalls because of COVID - maybe because it would make people's masks fall off. Guess they're not doing that over at UO.

The wettest I got on this trip was surprisingly Hagrids, when we got on and it promptly started to straight up torrential downpour for the whole ride. Downpours at 50mph soak you to the undergarments (and blind you too). Wetter than Popeyes! So I rode the water rides after since I was as soaked as could be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts