$$$ during corona epidemic isolation?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
During this crazy time should we have some $$ on Hand? I prefer to use my credit cards to earn cash rewards and at this time I really don’t want to be handling money. How many of you think it’s a good idea to have cash in hand or hidden in home for this emergency? I’m not talking about thousand of $$. If one should have cash what’s a good amount?

I think cash is king during times with extended power outages: hurricanes, etc. I also tend to use my debit card but have begun saving weekly cash in envelopes for travel and Christmas. So I always have some. A lot of the takeout places in my area are requesting a preorder with card.

My husband and I were just discussing how unlikely it would be for a bank run to happen since nobody wants to touch cash (thank goodness). We often have a small amount in our safe just in case we lose power during storms. If you get some, let it sit untouched for a few days until the germs die. We do the same with the mail.

My husband and I were just discussing how unlikely it would be for a bank run to happen since nobody wants to touch cash (thank goodness).

You'd think, but *some* people seem to be worrying about it anyway and I've heard of people finding long lines at ATMs and even limits on withdrawals. Yet every business I know of is asking you to please NOT use cash if possible. Even when you're having things delivered they want zero contact deliveries--you pay ahead via card, including any tip, and the items are left outside your door. Money is filthy at the best of times. Now, it's just something many people do not want to deal with if they can avoid it.

Cash comes in handy in terms of power outages or a lack of internet. I remember during Sandy, a few local small Mom & Pop stores opened up to sell what they could before it went bad, and they couldn't accept cards at the time. But that's definitely not the case now.

Oh, and a P.S. If you routinely keep a decent amount of cash in your home, check with your home or renter's insurance to see how much cash they will cover. You might be very surprised to hear that some policies cover a very small amount of cash in the home.

I was gonna say $300-$500. I have one small business that has said "cash only" for their curb side delivery (they want simplicity and don't want to run machines b/c they are selling one product at one very cheap price)...but most want call in CC's...so you shouldn't need a lot, but I'd have enough to buy stuff if you get hit with a long term power outage from a wicked storm...

My husband and I were just discussing how unlikely it would be for a bank run to happen since nobody wants to touch cash (thank goodness). We often have a small amount in our safe just in case we lose power during storms. If you get some, let it sit untouched for a few days until the germs die. We do the same with the mail.

I have some cash at home in case it will be needed. I put it in a ziplock bag and put it in my freezer. Literally, cold, hard cash! I was more worried about possibility of a fire, but I expect it has helped kill the germs too, or do you think it is actually keeping them in hibernation and then when I get it out of the freezer the germs will reappear? Anyone know?

I have some cash at home in case it will be needed. I put it in a ziplock bag and put it in my freezer. Literally, cold, hard cash! I was more worried about possibility of a fire, but I expect it has helped kill the germs too, or do you think it is actually keeping them in hibernation and then when I get it out of the freezer the germs will reappear? Anyone know?
An expert somewhere said that Coronavirus can live up to 9 hours on paper. At least that’s what the email I got from my boss said. We handle a lot of paper from the public so it was a warning to be extra cautious, wear gloves, wash hands frequently etc.

No clue if freezing the virus kills it or puts it in hibernation. If you are really concerned throw it in the washer and dryer. 😜

A friend was in a crowded grocery store this week which was unable to process credit cards at that time, because even in normal circumstances stuff happens with electronics.

I don't carry cash on me, but I do have a little hidden in the car just in case.

An expert somewhere said that Coronavirus can live up to 9 hours on paper. At least that’s what the email I got from my boss said. We handle a lot of paper from the public so it was a warning to be extra cautious, wear gloves, wash hands frequently etc.

No clue if freezing the virus kills it or puts it in hibernation. If you are really concerned throw it in the washer and dryer. 😜
Gives new meaning to the term money laundering

isn’t an ATM limit on withdrawals standard?

Sorry my post wasn't clear, I meant limits on any withdrawals, whether at the ATM or made inside the bank itself. And again, this is just what others have experienced. I haven't been to my own bank or ATM in probably 3-4 weeks or more, so I have no idea what's happening there, but I do know that there has been no mention of changes on my bank's website, which I do visit quite frequently. :)

I usually have $200-$300 somewhere around in $20's and smaller. We use cash so infrequently that it lasts for months. I keep a small stash of 5's and 1's for tips when we travel.

We keep $1000 for an emergency, all types of emergencies. It's surprising when working with an independent contractor (electrical, plumbing, landscape, computer repair, electronics, etc.) how the price goes down when I say "cash".
Even as opposed to a check? I normally ask if there is a discount for credit card vs check, sometimes there is. The only person I pay in actual cash is the guy who runs my daily bootcamp.and I do wonder if he is not reporting it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter