$$$ during corona epidemic isolation?

How much you have on hand should be a personal choice. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to have cash in the bank for debit purchases and a stash of cash as well. I am less worried about not being able to use credit/debit/contactless pay during this crisis so only have about $200 in small bills on hand. We have enough food to easily last 6 weeks, probably longer if we really started to stretch and ration. The main reason I have always had cash during a crisis is when trying to get out of town during bad weather. The only way I would think you would need cash is if food becomes very short on supply and people start price gouging on the black market.

As long as you find a way to make sure it isn't stolen. :) I know some folks bolt them to floorboards.
We did this in our bedroom closets for small items and a large gun safe in our office closet. All of them are designed to be bolted in place. Otherwise it would simply be called a cash box; anyone could pick it up and at their leisure, find a way into it.

An expert somewhere said that Coronavirus can live up to 9 hours on paper. At least that’s what the email I got from my boss said. We handle a lot of paper from the public so it was a warning to be extra cautious, wear gloves, wash hands frequently etc.

No clue if freezing the virus kills it or puts it in hibernation. If you are really concerned throw it in the washer and dryer. 😜
Money laundering? For shame! 🤪

We keep about $100 of "never touch" money in a jewelry box -- as someone else suggested, it's in small bills. I don't think we've touched it in years, but several times it's been useful: when a child needed money for something at school, etc. It's nice to know that if we needed cash RIGHT NOW, we have a bit -- the rule is that when we take it, we must replace it as soon as possible.

Now that I think about it, $100 is not much now. We should probably increase the amount. On the other hand, credit cards are acceptable pretty much everywhere now, so cash is less important on a day-to-day basis.

We keep about $100 of "never touch" money in a jewelry box -- as someone else suggested, it's in small bills. I don't think we've touched it in years, but several times it's been useful: when a child needed money for something at school, etc. It's nice to know that if we needed cash RIGHT NOW, we have a bit -- the rule is that when we take it, we must replace it as soon as possible.

Now that I think about it, $100 is not much now. We should probably increase the amount. On the other hand, credit cards are acceptable pretty much everywhere now, so cash is less important on a day-to-day basis.

When I was in my early 20s, and still living at my parents' house, I went on vacation with a friend. At the same time my parents took a long weekend trip. Our trips overlapped by a few days. While the house was empty, it was burglarized and some very sentimental jewelry was stolen: my HS ring, an 18k gondola charm I bought in Venice, a watch belonging to my mother that was once my deceased grandfather's, you get the gist of it. :sad1:
The police officer told me don't ever keep valuables in a jewelry box. It's like telling a burglar, "Here, let me make it easy for you."
He said they sell all different kinds of ways to hide things but still "in plain view." Dummy hardback books, electrical outlets, shaving cream cans, etc. These things don't make it impossible to steal something, but it makes it much more difficult.
Just saying..

My husband had to hunt for an ATM the other day because he was buying something and the business would only take cash. I try to use cash for things like extra runs to the grocery store, drive thrus or to walmart or whatever but that's a budgeting tool, it does make me pay attention to how much I'm actually spending. But I've actually switched to card only for most transactions during this pandemic so I've used less cash than normal. I only have a few bucks in my wallet I think and that's it.

When I was in my early 20s, and still living at my parents' house, I went on vacation with a friend. At the same time my parents took a long weekend trip. Our trips overlapped by a few days. While the house was empty, it was burglarized and some very sentimental jewelry was stolen: my HS ring, an 18k gondola charm I bought in Venice, a watch belonging to my mother that was once my deceased grandfather's, you get the gist of it. :sad1:
The police officer told me don't ever keep valuables in a jewelry box. It's like telling a burglar, "Here, let me make it easy for you."
He said they sell all different kinds of ways to hide things but still "in plain view." Dummy hardback books, electrical outlets, shaving cream cans, etc. These things don't make it impossible to steal something, but it makes it much more difficult.
Just saying..
My expensive jewelry and our cash is in our safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter