DVC dues reduction due to shutdown?

Personally, I agree with you even though my "stake" is admittedly small (only about 30 borrowed points that won't expire until later in the year, which can likely be salvaged to some extents). I think it would be awesome if DVC/Disney can help out (even partially if not fully), but it shouldn't be expected, IMHO.

LAX

For my May trip I have about 100 borrowed and 60 current UY points that could still be banked if I canceled before end of month.

We are choosing to gamble, and will go in July if I have too. Worst case, I lose..but as long as resorts are open, I will go.

Given recent developments. if Disney starts to lay off and/or furlough staff, then I would expect a to see a reduction

Honestly dont see or expect any reduction in dues... this whole situation is terrible... members losing pts, reservations being cancelled, and people losing money on all ends..... Hurts to lose money and vacation time but our safety and health do come first

I can't imagine why you would expect a decrease in your dues.
The dues are to cover expenses of the resort.
Whether there are guests there or not, there are expenses, and that is what the dues cover.
If you are laid off of work, does the bank decrease your mortgage?

I can't imagine why you would expect a decrease in your dues.
The dues are to cover expenses of the resort.
Whether there are guests there or not, there are expenses, and that is what the dues cover.
If you are laid off of work, does the bank decrease your mortgage?

Not the OP, but my guess is some of the costs (not fixed ones) associated with running the resorts would go down with them being closed. Things like electricity, water, etc. will likely go down. Obviously, the fixed costs are still going to be there whether the resorts are closed or not. I think whatever cost-savings end up being realized resulting from the closure will be dwarfed by the unexpected costs incurred, namely potential solutions to cancelled DVC reservations with expiring points. Hence, I am in the camp that MF won't be reduced. In fact, I would feel fortunate that it doesn't shoot up beyond the "norm" as someone in another thread mentioned the idea of a special assessment to help with dealing cancelled reservations.

LAX

As the economy slowly grinds to a halt, many companies are laying off and/or furlough staff (Macy's just announced it is furloughing the majority of its 130,000 workers this week)

Disney has committed to pay their cast members through April 18th. If the shut down extends past this date (which is almost guaranteed) Disney may do the same

Given that the majority of our dues go to Housekeeping and Transportation, and these services are not being utilized, the 2020 budget for these items (and others) will be less than projected at the last annual meeting

There are also maintenance costs that come into play when stuff is idle a month. Toilets and plumbing can be cranky if idle a month. Do they have the water turned off, for instance? Are the pools still being fully filled and maintained or will there need to be triage before opening?

I think it's also important to realize that most of the budget for housekeeping and transport involves paying CMs. Which they are doing until at least 4/18. If they do furlough after that, there may be additional costs bringing people back.

This was my original question.

Does anyone know how much yearly dues will go down due to the shutdown. I know Disney said they would be paying cast members during the 2 week shutdown however there are other thing like utility's,cost to run buses/boats non payroll related(fuel),Collage program cast that were sent home and other non payroll items required to run a resort.
If the Vacation club is not incurring a cost will we get a reduction in dues?

Now that Disney will be closed indefinitely and all cast members who are not working will not be paid after April 18th, do we think our dues would or should be reduced. Since payrole has been reduced to the bare minimum along with other thing I mentioned in my original post should we see a reduction in our dues.

This was my original question.

Does anyone know how much yearly dues will go down due to the shutdown. I know Disney said they would be paying cast members during the 2 week shutdown however there are other thing like utility's,cost to run buses/boats non payroll related(fuel),Collage program cast that were sent home and other non payroll items required to run a resort.
If the Vacation club is not incurring a cost will we get a reduction in dues?

Now that Disney will be closed indefinitely and all cast members who are not working will not be paid after April 18th, do we think our dues would or should be reduced. Since payrole has been reduced to the bare minimum along with other thing I mentioned in my original post should we see a reduction in our dues.

Not all CMs are being furloughed, but Disney is still paying all health benefits including picking up the employee shade.

Could there be a reduction? Maybe. We have no idea what costs are associated with a shut down resort that come with being unused.

Normally, any extra goes into the capital reserve section of the budget,

We have no idea if any solution to prevent owners from losing points will cost DVCM extra in a deal with Disney that might need to be applied..ie: if no rooms are sent for breakage, then that savings will not be there to offset dues.

So, at this point, I do not expect a reduction but at most, dues could remain flat.

There are also maintenance costs that come into play when stuff is idle a month. Toilets and plumbing can be cranky if idle a month. Do they have the water turned off, for instance? Are the pools still being fully filled and maintained or will there need to be triage before opening?

I think it's also important to realize that most of the budget for housekeeping and transport involves paying CMs. Which they are doing until at least 4/18. If they do furlough after that, there may be additional costs bringing people back.

And when resorts do open, cleaning protocols will have to be revisited. It isn't good enough while we still have a susceptible population to do a light cleaning between guests and change out linens. All surfaces are going to need to be wiped down with an antiviral solution. Ideally, pillows and soft goods would get swapped out and allowed a few days between guests for the virus to die off. Thats a lot of additional cleaning over the quite frankly lackluster cleaning jobs DVC is renowned throughout the DISBoards for. And that will mean MORE costs.

And when resorts do open, cleaning protocols will have to be revisited. It isn't good enough while we still have a susceptible population to do a light cleaning between guests and change out linens. All surfaces are going to need to be wiped down with an antiviral solution. Ideally, pillows and soft goods would get swapped out and allowed a few days between guests for the virus to die off. Thats a lot of additional cleaning over the quite frankly lackluster cleaning jobs DVC is renowned throughout the DISBoards for. And that will mean MORE costs.
Airlines are starting to “fog” airplanes with some sort of substance that supposedly kills the virus for 10 days. No idea how much this costs, but it sounds like it may work for a hotel room as well.
Fogging is truly the best way to get the nooks & crannies, and do the job quickly.

As I see it if the associated costs of running the resorts will decreases due to this pandemic, the ones that truly saw a loss should receive reciprocation. Meaning those that had reservations cancelled due to this AND where not able to recoup there points in other ways should receive some sort of financial confiscation. There are many people with in the current use year that have or will be able to use there points, why should they be reimbursed since they have been able to use there points? There are also people have been able to bank there points; again why should they have any compensation? Any cost savings should help only those that have truly lost..... (I am not one that has truly lost any points at this point, but have had to reschedule)

This will not make everyone happy but in my option is right outcome.

Airlines are starting to “fog” airplanes with some sort of substance that supposedly kills the virus for 10 days. No idea how much this costs, but it sounds like it may work for a hotel room as well.
Fogging is truly the best way to get the nooks & crannies, and do the job quickly.

Fogging is great for an airplane, where they can shut the door and keep whatever chemicals are fogging inside the plane until it settles, but is that going to work in a hotel room where someone is occupying the room next door and if it gets through the vents....? I don't know, but there are reasons that might work for airplanes, and not be useful for resorts (or hospitals).

Fogging is great for an airplane, where they can shut the door and keep whatever chemicals are fogging inside the plane until it settles, but is that going to work in a hotel room where someone is occupying the room next door and if it gets through the vents....? I don't know, but there are reasons that might work for airplanes, and not be useful for resorts (or hospitals).
I really don’t know if it is practical or not. I just threw it out there... sort of thinking out loud. I assume they could temporarily seal the vents in a hotel room.

I really don’t know if it is practical or not. I just threw it out there... sort of thinking out loud. I assume they could temporarily seal the vents in a hotel room.
I don't know either, I'm throwing out a possible problem so people understand that this whole thing is complex and that solutions that sound like great ideas (this does) may not pan out in reality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter