DVC Grand Ca Owners Input, Please

AlliH

Original Mouseketeer
Hi! We are considering purchasing a DVC resale with Grand California as our home resort, but want to know whether booking a studio even 11 months out is possible at GC.

My parents were sold DVC with a home resort of Aulani under the assurance from a DVC sales agent that they would have "no problem" booking a room at GC. Low and behold, they will be selling their DVC membership :(

We are now grossly aware of the inventory issue at GC and the obvious inability to book GC 7 months out. Before we were to purchase a GC resale, however, I'd like to hear other GC owners' experience of booking 11 months out. Again, we'd be opting for the studio rental. Thanks!

Are you interested just in studios? GC studios appear to be hard to get at anytime. There’s seems to be a little more flexibility with larger rooms.

The success of GC and the price per point on both resale and direct purchases really makes you wonder why Disney hasn’t tried to make a DVC resort at Disneyland. Obviously space is more limited but you know it would be a hit.

I’ll also add that my home resort is Aulani and I have booked studios at the grand Californian in the past couple of years for short 2-3 night stays, and it really comes down to flexibility and luck. Each stay has been a middle of the week stay in a less busy time of the year like early Dec or late February. Each time I booked with only a month or two notice, but I would check it religiously for availability.

If you book at 11 months, the main issues will be runDisney, d23 and holidays.

I would still recommend getting points enough for a 1BR.

Are you interested just in studios? GC studios appear to be hard to get at anytime. There’s seems to be a little more flexibility with larger rooms.

The success of GC and the price per point on both resale and direct purchases really makes you wonder why Disney hasn’t tried to make a DVC resort at Disneyland. Obviously space is more limited but you know it would be a hit.

I do not own Grand Californian but I have booked studios there. However I got up early in the morning and tried several days in a row to get them. I would LOVE to see more DVC at Disneyland, and probably would even buy some.

Why doesn’t Disney put in more DVC units? It is because the city of Anaheim limits them to 150 TOTAL timeshare units at Disneyland. EVEN IF THEY BUILD A NEW HOTEL! Yep. It is the city of Anaheim. Anaheim is too afraid of losing their income, especially their hotel taxes! And Anaheim counts each unit that can be locked off as a separate unit. So Disney says it has 24 2 bedroom lock off units and 24 regular two bedroom units and two three-bedroom units, or something close to that. But the city of Anaheim counts the lock off units as double, since it counts them as 24 studios and 24 one bedroom units, rather than just as a single two bedroom lock off. So altogether though Disney says it has about 50 units at Grand Californian, Anaheim says it is really 75 units.

I’m sure Disney would like to put in more DVC units in California but they are limited, due to no choice of their own. And the city of Anaheim has been combatative against Disneyland for several years now. Putting in many strange, difficult, and purely political stipulations. You would think that Anaheim which pretty much Owes its existence to Disneyland, would be a little more grateful. There was NOTHING THERE but orange groves, before Disney bought the land to make his park.

I planned Oct 14 to 19 this year (Sunday to Friday). I’ve been pretty lucky at 7 months for a studio, except for around D23. Thursday night sold out at about 10 months, then a Monday sold out at 8 months. I waitlisted at 7 months and booked a cash reservation at Paradise Pier. Friday night was open so I tried to grab it but I got logged out when I hit enter and missed it. I decided to waitlist that night separate. The alternative would be to go to an airport hotel that night. That waitlist did come through around 8/1. So I decided to waitlist Thursday night and it came through a couple weeks later. I was really surprised because that night sold out at 10 months. I now have Wednesday night waitlisted. If that comes through, I’ll do a 3/3 split with the Paradise Pier cash reservation.i added 3 nights at the Poly later this month, so I cancelled my original GC waitlist for the 5 nights.

We are local to DLR but own at VGC specifically for runDisney weekends and random fun getaways. Studios right at 11 months have not been an issue, but it’s tough to know how the opening of Star Wars next summer will affect availability. As PP mentioned, it would probably be wise to purchase enough points for a 1 bedroom.

Hi! We are considering purchasing a DVC resale with Grand California as our home resort, but want to know whether booking a studio even 11 months out is possible at GC.

My parents were sold DVC with a home resort of Aulani under the assurance from a DVC sales agent that they would have "no problem" booking a room at GC. Low and behold, they will be selling their DVC membership :(

We are now grossly aware of the inventory issue at GC and the obvious inability to book GC 7 months out. Before we were to purchase a GC resale, however, I'd like to hear other GC owners' experience of booking 11 months out. Again, we'd be opting for the studio rental. Thanks!

Am a founding member of VGC (and have the picture hanging on the wall to prove it! lol) . In general there is no problem booking studios at 11 months. As mentioned the only times that might be a concern are D23 and some holidays. But I would not consider anytime impossible for VGC at 11 months.

You won't have any trouble booking VGC at the 11 month mark. Even now, with SWL opening in June, 9 months out, there are still 20 of the 30 nights available for the month of June. May is showing only 1 night, May 26th sold out, and July is only showing the 3rd sold out (studios).

Usually VGC has studio availability at 7 months 1 day out.

We are assuming we'd be purchasing enough for just a studio as it is the cheapest option, but I will be sure to weigh the price difference based on this recommendation. Thank you!

I’ll also add that my home resort is Aulani and I have booked studios at the grand Californian in the past couple of years for short 2-3 night stays, and it really comes down to flexibility and luck. Each stay has been a middle of the week stay in a less busy time of the year like early Dec or late February. Each time I booked with only a month or two notice, but I would check it religiously for availability.

Good point- since we travel as a large family, my parents don't have much flexibility in their stay as we are juggling several work schedules and grandchild school schedules. Thank you for the response!

If you book at 11 months, the main issues will be runDisney, d23 and holidays.

I would still recommend getting points enough for a 1BR.

Gotcha. We usually try and plan our vacation during DL's "dead weeks," but I will look into cost of a 1 bedroom vs studio for overall purchase anyway. Couldn't hurt to have more space as the kids get bigger :)

I do not own Grand Californian but I have booked studios there. However I got up early in the morning and tried several days in a row to get them. I would LOVE to see more DVC at Disneyland, and probably would even buy some.

Why doesn’t Disney put in more DVC units? It is because the city of Anaheim limits them to 150 TOTAL timeshare units at Disneyland. EVEN IF THEY BUILD A NEW HOTEL! Yep. It is the city of Anaheim. Anaheim is too afraid of losing their income, especially their hotel taxes! And Anaheim counts each unit that can be locked off as a separate unit. So Disney says it has 24 2 bedroom lock off units and 24 regular two bedroom units and two three-bedroom units, or something close to that. But the city of Anaheim counts the lock off units as double, since it counts them as 24 studios and 24 one bedroom units, rather than just as a single two bedroom lock off. So altogether though Disney says it has about 50 units at Grand Californian, Anaheim says it is really 75 units.

I’m sure Disney would like to put in more DVC units in California but they are limited, due to no choice of their own. And the city of Anaheim has been combatative against Disneyland for several years now. Putting in many strange, difficult, and purely political stipulations. You would think that Anaheim which pretty much Owes its existence to Disneyland, would be a little more grateful. There was NOTHING THERE but orange groves, before Disney bought the land to make his park.

So interesting! Thanks for the reply. Last I heard, the new hotel has been scratched? Even so, I was shocked when a DVC rep told me they would not be putting more DVC units in the planned hotel. This makes much more sense now.

I planned Oct 14 to 19 this year (Sunday to Friday). I’ve been pretty lucky at 7 months for a studio, except for around D23. Thursday night sold out at about 10 months, then a Monday sold out at 8 months. I waitlisted at 7 months and booked a cash reservation at Paradise Pier. Friday night was open so I tried to grab it but I got logged out when I hit enter and missed it. I decided to waitlist that night separate. The alternative would be to go to an airport hotel that night. That waitlist did come through around 8/1. So I decided to waitlist Thursday night and it came through a couple weeks later. I was really surprised because that night sold out at 10 months. I now have Wednesday night waitlisted. If that comes through, I’ll do a 3/3 split with the Paradise Pier cash reservation.i added 3 nights at the Poly later this month, so I cancelled my original GC waitlist for the 5 nights.

Hmmmm ... I need to pick your brain a bit more re: booking for my parents. They are totally disenchanted by the whole thing, which bums me out seeing as DL trips with them is part of the whole DL experience/tradition for us. Thanks for the response!

We are local to DLR but own at VGC specifically for runDisney weekends and random fun getaways. Studios right at 11 months have not been an issue, but it’s tough to know how the opening of Star Wars next summer will affect availability. As PP mentioned, it would probably be wise to purchase enough points for a 1 bedroom.

Good thought - we won't be purchasing until after Star Wars has opened, so we'd be wise to follow the crowd forecast and perhaps ask this question again before purchasing. Will def look into the 1 bedroom recommendation since a few of you have offered the same advice. Thank you!

You won't have any trouble booking VGC at the 11 month mark. Even now, with SWL opening in June, 9 months out, there are still 20 of the 30 nights available for the month of June. May is showing only 1 night, May 26th sold out, and July is only showing the 3rd sold out (studios).

Usually VGC has studio availability at 7 months 1 day out.

Thank you! This was very helpful!

Am a founding member of VGC (and have the picture hanging on the wall to prove it! lol) . In general there is no problem booking studios at 11 months. As mentioned the only times that might be a concern are D23 and some holidays. But I would not consider anytime impossible for VGC at 11 months.

Oh, and FWIW even though I own there I'm still often booking with non-VGC points. It is possible to book at 7 months, just not guaranteed. You need to be prepared to book immediately when the window opens and flexibility helps too.

There are 23 dedicated two bedroom villas, 23 lockoff two bedroom villas (meaning 23 studios and 23 one bedrooms) and 2 grand villas. That's all.

Oh, and FWIW even though I own there I'm still often booking with non-VGC points. It is possible to book at 7 months, just not guaranteed. You need to be prepared to book immediately when the window opens and flexibility helps too.

Sorry, I'm thinking you are saying that you use other points for different home resorts to apply to your full stay at VGC? Just want to clarify, because I had proposed this option to my parents: purchasing a small resale at VGC in order to have the ability to book at VGC at 11 months, but a DVC employee told us that was not possible; that they could only apply points of a home resort to a home resort. Say they owned 100 at Aulani and 50 at GC, they could only book a stay at VGC worth 50 points without being able to access their 100 Aulani points. This felt incorrect, but I didn't inquire further. Just wanted to clarify what you're explaining because I am intrigued. I really want to make this work for my parents :earsboy:

Sorry, I'm thinking you are saying that you use other points for different home resorts to apply to your full stay at VGC? Just want to clarify, because I had proposed this option to my parents: purchasing a small resale at VGC in order to have the ability to book at VGC at 11 months, but a DVC employee told us that was not possible; that they could only apply points of a home resort to a home resort. Say they owned 100 at Aulani and 50 at GC, they could only book a stay at VGC worth 50 points without being able to access their 100 Aulani points. This felt incorrect, but I didn't inquire further. Just wanted to clarify what you're explaining because I am intrigued. I really want to make this work for my parents :earsboy:
Aulani points will always be Aulani points. They cannot be used at 11 months out to book VGC. They can only be used at seven months out to book VGC. You can combine any points you have on one contract at seven months out to book any DVC resort if availability still exists at seven months out. Sometimes nothing is left to book. Kat uses her non-VGC points only at seven months out to book whatever she can find.

Otherwise, owners would buy the cheapest points they could find and combine them with a very small contract at a very desirable resort at book at 11 months out. You cannot do that. Ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter