DVC Grand Ca Owners Input, Please

Sorry, I'm thinking you are saying that you use other points for different home resorts to apply to your full stay at VGC? Just want to clarify, because I had proposed this option to my parents: purchasing a small resale at VGC in order to have the ability to book at VGC at 11 months, but a DVC employee told us that was not possible; that they could only apply points of a home resort to a home resort. Say they owned 100 at Aulani and 50 at GC, they could only book a stay at VGC worth 50 points without being able to access their 100 Aulani points. This felt incorrect, but I didn't inquire further. Just wanted to clarify what you're explaining because I am intrigued. I really want to make this work for my parents :earsboy:

Nope, that is not what I was saying and the info you were told is correct. I am saying I also have been able to book VGC at 7 months with non-VGC points. It's just another note that it isn't impossible even though its not a given which it sounds like your parents were told. But also having flexibility for dates and/or villa size allows better chances of booking VGC with non-VGC points at 7 months.

Of course if there are dates I definitely want I have the 11 month window to book with the VGC points I own.

If you book at 11 months, the main issues will be runDisney, d23 and holidays.

I would still recommend getting points enough for a 1BR.
I agree. The only problem we've encountered booking a studio was for the DVC Membership Magic nights. But I was easily able to book a 1 bedroom. I was even able to move our studio dates around quite easily up to 9 months when we booked for DLR F&W and again for the Halloween party.
But as Auroraborealis says, it is probably safest to get a few more points than what you'd need to just get a studio. First, it gives you a safety net to book a 1 bedroom when you're blocked out of studio by banking / borrow the extra allotment of points. But secondly, small VGC point resale contracts can be difficult to find and more expensive. Even buying them direct isn't easy as it can take a while for the points to become available.

if availability still exists at seven months out.

This is the key to your thread. With VGC only having a very limited amount of rooms for DVC (23 studios), compared to AKV 444 studios (between value, Savanna, Standard, Club).

So when the 7 month mark opens for VGC, and you want to use your Aulani points to book VGC, you could be trying to book a room along with thousands of others that own DVC elsewhere and want to try and grab a room. I'm not sure how many DVC member are out there, but I would be willing to bet it's above 100,000 people, which now have the same ability of yourself to book at VGC at the 7 month mark.

But, I've gotten a few waitlists to work. I put it at the 33% mark for a waitlist to come through. It used to be easier before Aulani, but I have a feeling, a lot of west cost people were falsely sold that they could buy Aulani and book at VGC.

DVC with eventually get another resort open in the Downtown Disney area and open additional DVC rooms which will really help.

So with all this said, Yes, buy some VGC, you won't regret it a day!

...DVC with eventually get another resort open in the Downtown Disney area and open additional DVC rooms which will really help. ...
Not going to happen. The new hotel is cancelled. And it was not going to have any DVC element anyway.

Not going to happen. The new hotel is cancelled. And it was not going to have any DVC element anyway.

I disagree, this is just a tax issue. DL has already closed all the stores. They'll get it worked out and the new resort will start construction again. They'll announce DVC rooms as the Riviera is close to selling out of DVC. Probably another small number of rooms like VGC which will sell out in 1 year.

I disagree, this is just a tax issue. DL has already closed all the stores. They'll get it worked out and the new resort will start construction again. They'll announce DVC rooms as the Riviera is close to selling out of DVC. Probably another small number of rooms like VGC which will sell out in 1 year.
There is a limit to the number of timeshare villas they can build and it's like only 25 or so.

Is that an Anaheim/LA law? I've always wondered why hotels like Desert Inn and Suites has not converted a portion of their hotels into some kind of timeshare property.

There is the Peacock and Suites which has timeshare rooms, but I'm not sure how many.

PS, that's why VGC is so valuable. The market can't be flooded. That's what I worry about with Florida.

And I'm not talking rain!

For what it is worth, I was able to get 8 nights this past august, last week of, for a studio. We do not own there, we have our points at ssr. This was our first trip west, and now the family loves it. Weather is great, location, and food options.
We might have been lucky, but we will be trying again in the near future.
Good luck with your decision.

This is the key to your thread. With VGC only having a very limited amount of rooms for DVC (23 studios), compared to AKV 444 studios (between value, Savanna, Standard, Club).

So when the 7 month mark opens for VGC, and you want to use your Aulani points to book VGC, you could be trying to book a room along with thousands of others that own DVC elsewhere and want to try and grab a room. I'm not sure how many DVC member are out there, but I would be willing to bet it's above 100,000 people, which now have the same ability of yourself to book at VGC at the 7 month mark.

But, I've gotten a few waitlists to work. I put it at the 33% mark for a waitlist to come through. It used to be easier before Aulani, but I have a feeling, a lot of west cost people were falsely sold that they could buy Aulani and book at VGC.

DVC with eventually get another resort open in the Downtown Disney area and open additional DVC rooms which will really help.

So with all this said, Yes, buy some VGC, you won't regret it a day!

Yes unfortunately, as you mentioned, my parents were falsely told they could buy Aulani and book VGC "without issue." This was especially aggravating as we made it very clear to their sales agent that we ONLY visit Disneyland Resort. I feel bad that they were the guinea pigs for our family and are now so disappointed. Me + my husband still believe the value is worth the price to buy DVC, but we now know to buy resale VGC points thanks to my parents own sad experience :/

For what it is worth, I was able to get 8 nights this past august, last week of, for a studio. We do not own there, we have our points at ssr. This was our first trip west, and now the family loves it. Weather is great, location, and food options.
We might have been lucky, but we will be trying again in the near future.
Good luck with your decision.

Thank you! This is positive news for my parents' situation. We will definitely be purchasing a VGC deed via resale when we decide to do so, but this will give my parents hope so as not to immediately sell off their Aulani points.

I was told by a DVC agent directly that even if the new hotel battle between Anaheim/Disney gets resolved, no more DVC rooms will be created given the timeshare limit ordinance as previously mentioned by 'Deb & Bill' :worried:

Hi! We are considering purchasing a DVC resale with Grand California as our home resort, but want to know whether booking a studio even 11 months out is possible at GC.

My parents were sold DVC with a home resort of Aulani under the assurance from a DVC sales agent that they would have "no problem" booking a room at GC. Low and behold, they will be selling their DVC membership :(

We are now grossly aware of the inventory issue at GC and the obvious inability to book GC 7 months out. Before we were to purchase a GC resale, however, I'd like to hear other GC owners' experience of booking 11 months out. Again, we'd be opting for the studio rental. Thanks!

I’m a VGC owner and I’ve never had problems booking a studio at 11 months out. I typically go to Disneyland every couple of years and usually during June/July. I’m pretty sure there are high demand times like at WDW, but I always make sure I’m on the DVC website booking my room at 9am EST. If I remember correctly, you can book online starting at 6am PST for VGC.

As OP have said, your parents can use their Aulani points to book any DVC accommodation at 7 months, based on availability. Of course, having enough points to book a 1 bedroom would give them more options but may not be feasible. Again, I would recommend being online the minute online reservations open to ensure the best possibility of getting what you want. Good luck with your decision.

I planned Oct 14 to 19 this year (Sunday to Friday). I’ve been pretty lucky at 7 months for a studio, except for around D23. Thursday night sold out at about 10 months, then a Monday sold out at 8 months. I waitlisted at 7 months and booked a cash reservation at Paradise Pier. Friday night was open so I tried to grab it but I got logged out when I hit enter and missed it. I decided to waitlist that night separate. The alternative would be to go to an airport hotel that night. That waitlist did come through around 8/1. So I decided to waitlist Thursday night and it came through a couple weeks later. I was really surprised because that night sold out at 10 months. I now have Wednesday night waitlisted. If that comes through, I’ll do a 3/3 split with the Paradise Pier cash reservation.i added 3 nights at the Poly later this month, so I cancelled my original GC waitlist for the 5 nights.

Update - I got it! Now I have Sunday to Wednesday at PP and Wednesday to Saturday at VGC. Was so excited to get the email this afternoon that my Wednesday waitlist came through!

Is that an Anaheim/LA law? I've always wondered why hotels like Desert Inn and Suites has not converted a portion of their hotels into some kind of timeshare property.

There is the Peacock and Suites which has timeshare rooms, but I'm not sure how many.

Apparently, all Timeshare Condos at Disneyland have to be approved by Anaheim, since they DON'T want hotel rooms being turned into DVC, since they lose a lot of Tax Income if that happens. So, at Disneyland, Disney has been limited to 150 Timeshare (DVC) units, and Anaheim counts each 2 bedroom lockoff as TWO units. So they say Disney already has about 75 of their total 150. I'm not sure how it applies to other owners on other property. I'm also not sure if Disney couldn't go to hotel across the street, or a parking lot, and build DVC rooms there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!