DVC has stopped returning borrowed points to original use year

Just finished chatting with MS. I cancelled my April 10-17 reservation. Points were not put into holding and I was asked if I wanted my borrowed points put back into my 2021 use year. I said absolutely! She said it could take up to 30 days.

It is starling to me to hear people saying those who will lose points are just out of luck. This is a dvc problem, not just a problem for people with April- June use years. We won’t lose any points, so this isn’t a self interested post. The entire membership should bear the cost here, not just people with a couple of UYs. And in doing so, I suspect we will barely feel it. There is more slack in the system than people think. Maybe certain weeks are hard to get, or certain resorts are harder to get, but we have never had a problem securing a reservation somewhere except once at the very last minute.

That was the past. We are now in the future. The game has changed.

I cancelled my April reservation last week and sent an email asking for the borrowed points to be put back. I followed up with a chat yesterday and was also told it would be done within 30 days.

They were, as of this morning, returning borrowed points into 2020 UY or did for my mid April visit. I do currently have 2 other visits planned in November/December on both sides of a cruise and another week in January. My returned points will most likely be banked into 2021. Hopefully everyone with borrowed points experience the same! I am losing 4 points they wouldn’t bank forward on May 31st. We’ve made the decision not to travel between February and May. If we find we miss spring in Disney we’ll purchase points with a May/June banking deadline! :-)

I'm guessing those were 4 points banked from 2018 into 2019? I had a similar situation with points returned to me from my recent Hilton Head trip. I had 3 types of points in my reservation 2018 banked to 2019, 2019, and 2020 points that I had borrowed into my 2019 use year.

I am October, so currently in my 2019 use year. I am hoping to use the 2018 points before Sept ends, but who knows right now. Points are really not that important in the grand scheme, living is, so I'll roll with whatever happens to those points.

And, since I was actually at the resort and in the middle of my stay, DVC canceled my days (once they were closing) returned the borrowed points to 2020 and they were in my account that evening. I had stayed 4 nights out of 6 and we enjoyed our visit.

So I feel I have nothing to complain about, even if I lose the 2018 points. It was a bittersweet vacation, because it was just so 'happy' there. Staff were wonderful as always. It seemed as if life had not changed. Then we returned home to Maryland and a whole new world. Meanwhile it seems South Carolina has since caught up with the madness that is this pandemic.

Planning to call/chat tomorrow. Cancelled today. The borrowed and current points all came into this years points. Hoping to get the borrowed points moved back to next year and bank the remainer of this years points that I just cancelled.

Planning to call/chat tomorrow. Cancelled today. The borrowed and current points all came into this years points. Hoping to get the borrowed points moved back to next year and bank the remainer of this years points that I just cancelled.

You should be able to bank online. I got though quickly via chat to have my borrowed points taken care of.

You should be able to bank online. I got though quickly via chat to have my borrowed points taken care of.
When I cancelled, everything went into the current year, and not able to bank points.
Hopefully this changes with a call.

When I called before to cancel our April stay, it was during the time when they stopped putting borrowed points back, so they distributed our borrowed points among our remaining reservations instead. Now that they changed the policy again, I called this morning and waited under 15 minutes to talk to MS. They were able to cancel our July reservation and moved our points around so we freed up almost all of our borrowed points (over 400) to be put back into our 2020 UY. MS said it would take 10-15 business days to complete. We do still have a September reservation that uses mostly banked points that we would lose if we had to cancel, so here's hoping we can make it to that one..

I tried the chat this afternoon to cancel our June 26-July 3 reservation. I was connected right away and they are putting the 128 points I borrowed back into my Sep 2020 use year and I will bank my Sep 2019 use year points by the end of April. I hated having to cancel but I figured I had better do it now while they were willing to ”unborrow” the points. We likely can’t get go before the end of August this year so I would have lost them otherwise. Said it would take 20 to 45 business days for the points to be put back where they should be (unless I needed it done sooner if I was going to rebook before then - told me to call in that situation and they would expedite the transfer). While not happy about cancelling, at least the stress of worrying about what to do is gone.

I tried the chat this afternoon to cancel our June 26-July 3 reservation. I was connected right away and they are putting the 128 points I borrowed back into my Sep 2020 use year and I will bank my Sep 2019 use year points by the end of April. I hated having to cancel but I figured I had better do it now while they were willing to ”unborrow” the points. We likely can’t get go before the end of August this year so I would have lost them otherwise. Said it would take 20 to 45 business days for the points to be put back where they should be (unless I needed it done sooner if I was going to rebook before then - told me to call in that situation and they would expedite the transfer). While not happy about cancelling, at least the stress of worrying about what to do is gone.

Good choice because as soon as they announce an opening date...many think June 1st...I guarantee they will no longer return borrowed points for reservations after that date.

I'm guessing those were 4 points banked from 2018 into 2019? I had a similar situation with points returned to me from my recent Hilton Head trip. I had 3 types of points in my reservation 2018 banked to 2019, 2019, and 2020 points that I had borrowed into my 2019 use year.

I am October, so currently in my 2019 use year. I am hoping to use the 2018 points before Sept ends, but who knows right now. Points are really not that important in the grand scheme, living is, so I'll roll with whatever happens to those points.

And, since I was actually at the resort and in the middle of my stay, DVC canceled my days (once they were closing) returned the borrowed points to 2020 and they were in my account that evening. I had stayed 4 nights out of 6 and we enjoyed our visit.

So I feel I have nothing to complain about, even if I lose the 2018 points. It was a bittersweet vacation, because it was just so 'happy' there. Staff were wonderful as always. It seemed as if life had not changed. Then we returned home to Maryland and a whole new world. Meanwhile it seems South Carolina has since caught up with the madness that is this pandemic.

Actually they are 2019 non banked points expiring the end of May. I’m keeping an eye out to see if they will eventually allow banking (first time for those points). Sorry for the delayed response!

Actually they are 2019 non banked points expiring the end of May. I’m keeping an eye out to see if they will eventually allow banking (first time for those points). Sorry for the delayed response!

Good luck!

What is being done about banking deadlines? We are December UY, so have to bank by July 31. Currently have an end of May trip scheduled (VGC) and am considering what to do. If I happen to find a cancellation, or get a waitlist for late summer or early fall, and the resort ends up being closed, will they allow me to bank those points even though it is after the banking deadline (under the current policy at least)? I've searched and haven't seen an answer to this yet. Thanks!

What is being done about banking deadlines? We are December UY, so have to bank by July 31. Currently have an end of May trip scheduled (VGC) and am considering what to do. If I happen to find a cancellation, or get a waitlist for late summer or early fall, and the resort ends up being closed, will they allow me to bank those points even though it is after the banking deadline (under the current policy at least)? I've searched and haven't seen an answer to this yet. Thanks!

They are making no changes to banking deadlines, so you would need to bank by July 31st.

To be honest, I would be very surprised for it to apply to a Dec UY, since you have plenty of time to still bank.

They are making no changes to banking deadlines, so you would need to bank by July 31st.

To be honest, I would be very surprised for it to apply to a Dec UY, since you have plenty of time to still bank.
Thanks !I'm just thinking whether to rebook for fall, but if I ended up cancelling a fall trip, I would be past the banking deadline.

Thanks !I'm just thinking whether to rebook for fall, but if I ended up cancelling a fall trip, I would be past the banking deadline.

It is a tough call for sure, Those of us with Aug UYs had to make that decision by yesterday. We should have more information, I would think, in about a month if they are going to do any adjusting so that should be in time for you to figure out your plans.

We are in the same situation. Early June trip with a December UY. We are seriously considering canceling while we can still move the borrowed points back and then bank everything else. If we are able to go in the summer or fall we are thinking to book a cash reservation to have more flexible cancellation policies. We have been member for 9 years and have never banked once. We are always in borrow mode so this is all new to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!