• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Purchase Questions

So far, I haven’t booked blt yet because I just bought them recently. I couldn’t resist the price. However, yes after the refurb I will be booking at 11 months using the split stay option. Since standard will not likely be available at 7 months, I will book lake view as this is my best chance for combining at 7 months for a whole trip in one villa. I don’t want to pack up the whole crew for a split stay but don’t mind it at all if it’s just me. Currently I have 9 days in a 2 bdrm at BRV in June. Also a week at Poly with one dd. 21 days!!
Ah! You're the one that bought those 160 points. Arrghhh...

I was looking at those as well. No harm though. I'm sure DW wouldn't allow me to buy those as we just bought VDH last year.

Congrats! Love BLT. Have points there but would like more.

Thank you everyone for your replies! SO much to think about! Anyone know of good places to start researching instead of the Disney site?

I'm not too sold on home resort. Would somewhere like Riviera or even Poly be nice? Absolutely but I'd rather go for more points.
Based on this response, sounds like your question is solved.

Buy the cheapest points you can via resale so as to maximize your points purchase. Likely will be Vero Beach.

I am of the opinion that there is no wrong decision there is only your decision.

Only you can know how you plan to use the points. It is different for everyone.

I believe how we use the points for our first 10-15 years will be different than how we use them for our final half of ownership. I also decided we did not buy to stay in a studio so it is a 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms for us. I learned that BLT and Kidani have 2 bathrooms for the 1 bedroom. My wife made it clear she likes a view but it does not have to be the high point view but it should not be just a parking lot if possible. That means owing at BLT is not required because when we travel the Lakeview 1 bedrooms are usually available.
When you travel also is key to availability and therefore where you own.
For us I want medium sized contracts- from 150-200 points. I want between 350 and 400 points.

We also want to try all 14 unrestricted resorts over time which means if a resort is not available, we just book one that is.

True. Agree. But question keeps coming back to purchasing the greatest amount of points for the least amount of money up front.
I'm not sure OP has stated that, OP has suggested that getting more points might be more valuable to them than getting points at Poly or Riviera. I don't think that necessarily means the greatest amount of points for the least amount of money, but even if it did, that is a bit odd in itself as a mentality to have. "I just want as many points as I can get for as cheap as possible up front, but I don't care about expiration being in 18 years, or dues being $13+, or any sort of home resort advantage at WDW" - seems an unlikely thing to think.

True. Agree. But question keeps coming back to purchasing the greatest amount of points for the least amount of money up front.

Remember that the cost of annual dues has to be accounted for (not just the "per point" price). As @AstroBlasters reminds us, the cost of the annual dues will be more more expensive over the life of the contract (than the "per point" purchase price).

That is why Vero Beach is at the bottom of this list:

"Best Economical DVC Resorts to Purchase"
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-fall-2023/

I'm not sure OP has stated that, OP has suggested that getting more points might be more valuable to them than getting points at Poly or Riviera. I don't think that necessarily means the greatest amount of points for the least amount of money, but even if it did, that is a bit odd in itself as a mentality to have. "I just want as many points as I can get for as cheap as possible up front, but I don't care about expiration being in 18 years, or dues being $13+, or any sort of home resort advantage at WDW" - seems an unlikely thing to think.
I’d want something within DW. Also while I’d want a cheaper per point hotel to get more points now things like longer contracts and annual dues are factoring into my thinking.

Are the incentives the same regardless of where you are? for example is there a different promotion on a cruise ship vs. when you are visiting a resort?

Are the incentives the same regardless of where you are? for example is there a different promotion on a cruise ship vs. when you are visiting a resort?
They used to do better incentives on cruises and I know for awhile they were giving out gift cards at resorts but they haven't done this for years as far as I know.

I also wanted more points because I want to stay in 2 bdrm villas for at least one whole week+ per year. My DH and I do not share sleeping space with our teenagers or anyone else. Two bathrooms minimum. That requires 400+ points. For me wdw is so much fun with resting days when I can relax at the pool. Another aspect is switching resorts at 7 months. I want to try them all. Some cost more points. I own 400 pts at SSR, which has easy availability and lower points. I don’t mind bus transportation because I’m usually enjoying adult beverages on vacation! I also switch at 7 months and usually at higher points cost. I also own 160 at BLT, which is somewhat available at 7 months in lake view ( higher points). So 560 pts for our family of 4. Teens and college age kids love wdw and they get to invite a friend. We fill the fridge with groceries for breakfast and lunch. It’s a great time!
I know that BLT is great,,,but for the same amount of points for a 2bdrm, you could most times get a GV at OKW,,more beds, more room, very relaxing.

I know that BLT is great,,,but for the same amount of points for a 2bdrm, you could most times get a GV at OKW,,more beds, more room, very relaxing.
Relaxing and what is a good use of points is so variable. I do not believe the sweeping statement above is true for all DVC members. I can say confidently for us we would not find an OKW GV preferable to a room at BLT. We would prefer to use our points at a resort where we can walk to a park. Others have different preferences and that is the nice thing about DVC’s flexibility.

Relaxing and what is a good use of points is so variable. I do not believe the sweeping statement above is true for all DVC members. I can say confidently for us we would not find an OKW GV preferable to a room at BLT. We would prefer to use our points at a resort where we can walk to a park. Others have different preferences and that is the nice thing about DVC’s flexibility.
Fully agree with all your points. I wasnt making a sweeping statement,,,just saying some key points that some people like at OKW.
We like splitting our stays with BLT and BW for walking to 3parks. But when just wife and I we love OKW for chilling out and golf.

If someone has their hearts set on VGC or VGF and wants direct, it never hurts to ask. We wandered into the DL member lounge last month and asked the guide who was there about VGC points. We now own direct VGC points.

To the OP:
I agree with what others have said with regards to researching the product.

Understanding the booking windows is really important as is having realistic expectations of what you will be able to book at 7 months. Also having an understanding of UY and what it means to you.

Point charts for rooms can be changed over time so sometimes buying extra points as a cushion is important.

Ask yourself what is important to you. For some people getting the best value out of their points is important - for them a low cost resort in studios makes them happy. Some people like quieter resorts and the choices at Wilderness (CCV and BRV) are ideal for them. For others location of the resort is important - for them buying where they want to stay is clutch. Being able to walk to a park and stay in a 1BR when it’s just the 2 of us is important hence our home resorts and the number of points we have.

Ask yourself if the direct benefits are worth it. Any direct benefit can be taken away so buying direct may not be worth it depending on the delta between resale vs direct. Also make sure you understand the restrictions of a resale - both if you are buying resale but potentially if you buy direct and then resell it in the future.

We are very happy and have owned DVC for 15 or so years. Our mantra has always been to buy where we want to stay and we rarely book into non home resorts (but have switched at 7 months to Aulani, VGC before we owned, and the Poly overwater bungalows).
This really says it all. Knowing how you would use the points is really all that matters. What you consider valuable may differ from someone else. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Remember that the cost of annual dues has to be accounted for (not just the "per point" price). As @AstroBlasters reminds us, the cost of the annual dues will be more more expensive over the life of the contract (than the "per point" purchase price).

That is why Vero Beach is at the bottom of this list:

"Best Economical DVC Resorts to Purchase"
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resorts-to-purchase-fall-2023/

Oof...all the resorts I want to own at are in the bottom tier on that chart. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter