DVC rep did not follow up with us- is this normal?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
We went to our first sit down with a DVC rep at WDW last week. We had previously attended an info session on dcl but never talked with a rep. We want to buy but I was under the impression from DH going in that we were going to think about it for a couple of months. When we walked out DH said he was ready right then. I was surprised and said well, let's wait a couple of days, thinking that the dvc rep would follow up and we could do it then. Well... no follow up. Not while we were still on property, and not when we got home. I am pretty surprised and a bit put off and have started looking at resales instead. I am thinking, maybe they do not work on commission? Is it normal for them not to follow up?

They’re really not a high pressure pushy operation. From talking with friends and my own experience, unless you buy right there with the rep, they usually leave it up to you to call. Part of it is probably because they aren’t struggling to sell these properties so they aren’t desperate.

Did they say they were going to call to follow up? If so, then that is pretty offputting and is my biggest business pet peeve. But if that was never articulated, you need to call them and let them know you’re ready to pull the trigger. They are used to people that take the tour and the meeting for a free resort credit or whatever with no real intent of purchasing, so if it’s something you want I would give them a ring.

I am pretty surprised and a bit put off and have started looking at resales instead.

Nothing wrong with that! Take some time to look into it and really really think about the perks and I’d they mean THAT much to your family that you’ll pay scads more for them.

And if you do buy resale, the funny thing is, the guide you met with will still be your guide.

Some follow up, some move on the the next sale. Maybe your guide didn't think that you were interested and he moved on. Time is money and you probably won't talk to him again unless you buy from him.

:earsboy: Bill

We went to our first sit down with a DVC rep at WDW last week. We had previously attended an info session on dcl but never talked with a rep. We want to buy but I was under the impression from DH going in that we were going to think about it for a couple of months. When we walked out DH said he was ready right then. I was surprised and said well, let's wait a couple of days, thinking that the dvc rep would follow up and we could do it then. Well... no follow up. Not while we were still on property, and not when we got home. I am pretty surprised and a bit put off and have started looking at resales instead. I am thinking, maybe they do not work on commission? Is it normal for them not to follow up?

In my opinion the DVC guides have a lot of pressure to sell X number of points per month, per quarter, per year, etc. If they didn't follow up with you I don't think it was on purpose. They are only able to do so many tours and call so many past clients and sometimes calls will get missed. The best of luck to you in your search to become a Disney Vacation Club member.

Which resort were you interested in buying? If you were interested in buying Copper Creek, which they are currently selling, then it’s pretty easy for the guide to sell you those points and at this point a direct buy is probably your best option as there aren’t that many resale contracts on the market and those that are don’t save you much money, especially if the sellers have used most of the current points.
If you were interested in one of the sold out resorts, depending on the resort there may not be points available to sell to you direct, so in that scenario there’d be no reason for the guide to contact you.

I'm pretty sure you'll get a follow up call within a few weeks. As others have pointed out, the DVC salespeople aren't the high pressure type and if you indicated that you wanted to go home and think about it before committing, the guide probably took you at your word. However, there is nothing to stop you from initiating the call if you've decided DVC works for you. A little extra time for research and contemplation is always a good idea though, IMO. Good luck!

Thanks to all for the feedback on this. The good thing about our rep not following up (or not following up yet?) is now we are doing more research. Whereas if he had followed up right away, it probably would already be a done deal. Well, maybe that wouldn't be so bad either. lol.

Just start the process of buying a resale contract. A couple of days before you pass ROFR, you'll get a call from your guide asking if you're still thinking about buying in.

It's uncanny... and by that, I mean creepy.

Thanks to all for the feedback on this. The good thing about our rep not following up (or not following up yet?) is now we are doing more research. Whereas if he had followed up right away, it probably would already be a done deal. Well, maybe that wouldn't be so bad either. lol.

The more you know about DVC the better. I can imagine there are a lot of people who when they are there are ready to sign, but just want to be sure. They leave and find out you can purchase resale and buy that. CCV is a nice resort, but it is going to be one of those if you want to stay there you need to own there because it is small. Good luck on what you choose. The good thing is the longer you wait, the closer Riveria will be finished and sold. Should be interesting to see what the price is on that resort.

There is also the possibility that DVC isn't able to make sales calls to your state, some states don't allow it. Unlike most phone solicitations, Disney pretty much follows the rules for that. If your state is allowed, then I wouldn't expect a follow up call for a couple of weeks. They do want to make sure you want to purchase. If you want to purchase direct, and don't want to wait, call them, they will be happy to help. Also, DVC reps do cycle in and out of the cruises, so it may be that your rep is out of town.

Be careful. Watch out for paralysis by analysis. I hope you end up finding out if Disney Vacation Club is right for you and your family regardless if your guides follows up or does not. I understand it can be a difficult decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter