DVC Snobs

How cute... MANY DVC Members did not inherit their cash.... we WORKED for it. I'll let the "truly wealthy" laugh at us :).
The way to GET truly wealthy is to save, spend wisely, and not walk away from a good deal. Also a good way to STAY truly wealthy :). Reference Warren Buffet.

Worth noting: déclassé definition: "having fallen in Social Status" :). What? My dear wife and I never HAD any "Social Status" :).
I think you found the REAL snob(s) :). Perhaps Norma Desmond? :).

I ran into this type as early as High School. The "Rich Kids". A guy that worked in the fields was clearly beneath them....

Guess who got the PhD, and who ended up going to Junior College :).

There's money, then there's old money & trust funds. Hard to imagine the 0's in those sorts of bank accounts, but I do know more than a few Buffys & Muffys that have managed to squander the portion they can touch.

Money is a tool, it cannot buy happiness, but it surely can afford you many opportunities others do not have.

BTW, I grew up & live in a working class town (across the moats & down the road) from a few of the richest enclaves in the state:snooty:. I'm a serf, 2nd generation off the boat and right proud of it.::yes::

Interesting discussion on middle class, old money, new money and DVC snobs. I’m gonna stick in my two cents.

From my personal experience ( though limited); The difference between old money and new money is, old money doesn’t ask “how much will it cost?”

I don’t know why people are debating whether DVC is for the middle class. DVC is SO middle class. Timeshares are middle class. Upper class folks buy their own condo/home and if they want to go to Disney, they pay rack rates. (Obviously this is a generalization and doesn’t apply to everyone, lest people beat me up with that one person with money they know who owns DVC)

Interesting discussion on middle class, old money, new money and DVC snobs. I’m gonna stick in my two cents.

From my personal experience ( though limited); The difference between old money and new money is, old money doesn’t ask “how much will it cost?”

I don’t know why people are debating whether DVC is for the middle class. DVC is SO middle class. Timeshares are middle class. Upper class folks buy their own condo/home and if they want to go to Disney, they pay rack rates. (Obviously this is a generalization and doesn’t apply to everyone, lest people beat me up with that one person with money they know who owns DVC)

I'm proud to say that the only time I've paid rack rates to stay anywhere is when work makes me go somewhere on short notice. And even then, *I'm* not paying; I'm getting reimbursed anyway. (Ditto with full fare flights anywhere - ugh, such a waste!)

The comments are pretty funny!

I'd add a twist. Smart people ask how much, broke people ask how much a month.

This might be the most accurate statement ever posted on disboards.

I end up dealing with a fair number of ultra-HNWIs through my work, but most of them are not "old money" the way we tend to think of it in the U.S. (i.e., not a lot of Vanderbilts or Gettys). The people I deal with are mostly founders and executives of really big companies. Perhaps this is because the people I deal with tend to come from business, but most of them pay far more attention to what things cost than I expected when I first entered their world. I've seen a guy worth $50 million get hung up on whether his company would give him a $500/month car allowance.

This might be the most accurate statement ever posted on disboards.

I end up dealing with a fair number of ultra-HNWIs through my work, but most of them are not "old money" the way we tend to think of it in the U.S. (i.e., not a lot of Vanderbilts or Gettys). The people I deal with are mostly founders and executives of really big companies. Perhaps this is because the people I deal with tend to come from business, but most of them pay far more attention to what things cost than I expected when I first entered their world. I've seen a guy worth $50 million get hung up on whether his company would give him a $500/month car allowance.
Few people of high net worth are old money, almost all are self made middle class. Actually old money tends to evaporate as it goes through a few generations.

Last edited:
Anyone should be able to purchase, own and enjoy DVC memberships no matter what class, type of money, blah blah...

I did NOT grow up with money. We were pretty poor but lived in a pretty wealthy town. As you can imagine, that was delightful. My wife has done very well and she comes from a solidly middle/upper middle class family. She is very careful with how we handle money.
im constantly having to talk about DVC with @kboo because im a little embarrassed to talk to anyone else I know about it. It just seems super bougie to me that we have a DVC (even though I'm the one who pressed for it) :rotfl:

I LOVE when I hear people use the money excuse for being entitled to everything, and lesser peons must bow down to them as they pass. Those are people I know I don't care to associate with, as if money can solve anything and they should be adored for having more of it.

Much like those driving BMWs or Lexus insist on having the right of way because of how expensive their car is. If they were to run off the road and into the ditch, should I help pull their car out? I wouldn't want to ruin my towing cable and winch, because of how expensive those cost...
Lol those type of people are why we revolted against the British Empire. Americans were second class citizens. George Washington wasn’t good enough to be a British Officer. Ben Franklin they thought was entertaining but was just some country bumpkin. That’s why Lafayette had the band play Yankee Doodle when the British surrendered, to throw it back in their face.

Ok, gotcha there. I just could never relate. I wish everyone could experience the joy that Disney brings me.
Maybe for the snobs it’s more of an “elite” club. I think maybe they were giving SSR a bad rap because it has so many rooms and is the most affordable to own, that they might of noticed it’s harder for them to book their home resort at the 7 month window now. I thought about buying at SSR or OKW because we’ve stayed at Port Orleans and loved it. My friend who has 300 points at SSR said they bought there because their kids were teenagers and the ease of getting to Disney Springs sold them, they love the resort. I can see people being upset if it’s harder for them to book at 7 months out. I don’t see DVC as elitist, I’m buying it to save money lol

I think WDW should treat DVC members special. Not because I’m rich and therefore entitled to catered treatment (I’m not).

Because DVC demonstrates proof that I’m one of their best customers. How many non-DVC members visit them 3-4 times a year from Texas?
Good point, Disney should think all their visitors are special. But if your a consistent repeat customer and put down a goood chunk of change to keep returning to your favorite resort you might have a point about special treatment?

My wife and I very recently members of DVC. I enjoy joking about this with my Disney loving in-laws as they own a travel agency specializing in Disney. In me, they have a son in law who went from not wanting anything to do with Disney 18 months ago to being an AP, DVC member, runDisney footwear enthusiast, Nike Golf Disney polo shirt collector,and bonafide Disney lover. When we became DVC (resale like commoners), I went online and ordered a DVC Nike polo, 2 DVC member hats (ebay), a DVC leather portfolio with notepad, and DVC Decal to put on my laptop just to be over the top around them.

Whenever I go to their house now, I make it a point to cloak myself in these items and remind them that they are Disney peasants to us. Joking of course, but still funny to everyone involved. I think they are still in shock of the Disney fan they have turned me into so they have fun with it too. We sit around and watch Tim Tracker, Disney Food Blog, and of course every DIS unplugged weekly together. Now my father in law is thinking about becoming a DVC member. I think on our next trip he may even go over to the DVC lobby at Saratoga to start talking to guides.

I say all of this because if I was sitting in that epcot lobby with my in-laws, you might overhear the same thing being said by me but with extremely playful undertones. I would hate for someone outside my family to think that I was serious about any of this stuff. Its all about a love for Disney for crying out loud. How can anyone take themselves THAT seriously?
I understand what you mean about the jealousy. The first DVC member I talked to was at work at they own Grand Floridian and Animal Kingdom and go twice a year. So I was jealous I didn’t go twice a year and one time stay at GFV and the other time watch giraffes eating from my balcony! Then to find out when he bought it it was cheaper than now. I’ve been doing my research ever since, that was 1 1/2 years ago. What I found out is that if you want to go and stay on property unless maybe you stay at an allstar value, DVC is the cheapest way. I bought resale, and depending on how many years are on the contract and your buy in price it can rival the value resorts ! Last week I saw a Copper Creek contract on the resale website and when I did the math it came out to a little over $100 a night !

I shop at Aldi's and Walmart, and I own DVC! It should be a bumper sticker.

I rarely talk about it but once in a great while, the fact that I own a Disney timeshare comes up and I get the, "You own a Disney timeshare?" I almost feel like I have to defend myself and then I think, WT...K, I earn it, so I spend it on what makes me and mine, happy! Snob....I'm just as content eating a hot dog from Casey's as I am eating at Monsieur Paul. By the same token, I've brought many with me over the years, and they've enjoyed the fruits of my DVC, yet none of them have ever put their money down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter