DVD and recession

You're there but for others reading, I'd consider the resale situation but in truth it really shouldn't be a large factor. One should never buy to resale (other than if one can flip it and make a quick reasonable profit). One should only buy a timeshare to use, esp someone newer to timeshares and only if it adds true value or savings, to buy just to be a member of the club without other benefits would be the definition of insanity. This idea of buying multiple contracts that are smaller (50?) to have resale options is ludicrous IMO if it costs reasonablymore to do so. There are times when it doesn't cost more and it can be a good option. I also think it's unreasonable for most situations to buy evenly worrying about legacy situations that are far into the future. But I would tend to keep the contracts under 300 points and I likely would do 2 separate contracts usually at 2 different resorts.

To clarify, resalability as in: if we get sick of Disney can we get rid of the contracts easily. Agree cost pp for 50pt contracts are unacceptably high for us. We went for 2x200 (love PVB location and theming, need 2 connecting studios for 2 adults+4 kids).

Kudos to those who made money selling their contracts. We don't think that's likely to happen for us buying at this point in time. It's "sensible luxury"; we're basically redistributing all vacation budget for the next few years to DVC.

Last edited:
2x200 is actually very reasonable, imo. Smaller than 100 points is more the issue, I think, like breaking a 200 point contract into 4x50 points - whatever benefit you’d have from having smaller contracts would likely be overcome by the much higher costs of buying 4x50 (especially resale and matching UY).

To clarify, resalability as in: if we get sick of Disney can we get rid of the contracts easily. Agree cost pp for 50pt contracts are unacceptably high for us. We went for 2x200 (love PVB location and theming, need 2 connecting studios for 2 adults+4 kids).

Kudos to those who made money selling their contracts. We don't think that's likely to happen for us buying at this point in time. It's "sensible luxury"; we're basically redistributing all vacation budget for the next few years to DVC.
I would not have done 400 at one location as a single contract. I might have gone for 300-350 and evaluated how it was going or for 200 and reevaluated then possible a second location. Buying 400 up front as someone new to DVC is likely not ideal no matter how much investigation one does.

Two adventure season weeks a single room at the poly is $8-11k depending on view category, with the cheapest often unavailable. Baby #4 meant we needed two rooms going forward. The break even point compared to renting from Disney (we didn't like the idea of renting points) was 4 trips for us. And we committed to two conference trips (2019, 2020) already, prior to looking into dvc…

So, yeah, it was a leap of faith. But not completely crazy. If we add on, it will absolutely be a second home resort though. Maybe one of the new ones in the pipeline?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter