DxDDP - convinced never again, but then I ran the numbers

Lovetherodent

Sleep Is For The Weak!
Looks like I paid about $600 less for the dining plan than I would have on all the stuff we ordered--and that's just the meals, not snacks and mugs.

We ate 2 meals a day...(1 signature, 1 regular TS), spread the 4 nights worth of credits over 5 days. And it was still SO. . . MUCH. . . FOOD . . . but looking at the receipts, I see we could have eaten less, as in ordering one app for the table as opposed to one per person or sharing desserts and still broke even/come out a little ahead.

I do the dining plan for the pre-paid aspect and so nobody worries their order is "too expensive." And I think if we want to try several signatures again, DxDDP is the way to go, but I'm going to have to pound into everyone's heads (including my own) that we don't have to order all the entitlements!

It is a math exercise!

have you thought about DDP+? It’s 2 meal entitlements per day, no appetizers, then just pay oop for the extra apps.
if the math works of course.

There is a huge “per credit discount” in jumping from the ddp+ to the dxdp...

IMO, using the dxdp for 3 meals per day would be overkill... but using it your way...

DDP+: 2 1-credit restaurants per day for $95
DxDP: 1 TS + 1 signature + appetizer — $119

so on a daily basis, is upgrading from a 1 TS meal to a signature meal worth $24?
If each person gets an appetizer at every meal, easily pays for the $24.
And if you skip appetizers.... in most cases, signature entrees will run $20-$30 more than a 1 credit restaurant. The desserts and alcoholic beverages will also be higher priced than a 1 credit restaurant. So even skipping every appetizer, you’ll still get about the same “value” as the DDP+... even skipping apps, you’ll do just as well. Add in some apps, yes savings can get big.
... If you do 1 signature + 1 credit per day.

It is a math exercise!

have you thought about DDP+? It’s 2 meal entitlements per day, no appetizers, then just pay oop for the extra apps.
if the math works of course.

that is a math problem I look forward to working out!

Please come back and let me know how the :teacher:goes

do you or will you also factor in the difference in tip costs?

it'll be a while before I return, but sure. Do I factor in tips? Only in that I make sure I have enough cash for them!

There is a huge “per credit discount” in jumping from the ddp+ to the dxdp...

IMO, using the dxdp for 3 meals per day would be overkill... but using it your way...

DDP+: 2 1-credit restaurants per day for $95
DxDP: 1 TS + 1 signature + appetizer — $119

so on a daily basis, is upgrading from a 1 TS meal to a signature meal worth $24?
If each person gets an appetizer at every meal, easily pays for the $24.
And if you skip appetizers.... in most cases, signature entrees will run $20-$30 more than a 1 credit restaurant. The desserts and alcoholic beverages will also be higher priced than a 1 credit restaurant. So even skipping every appetizer, you’ll still get about the same “value” as the DDP+... even skipping apps, you’ll do just as well. Add in some apps, yes savings can get big.
... If you do 1 signature + 1 credit per day.
But that $24 per person, so $100 a day for a family of 4. SO you have to decide if that $100 is worth signature upgrade plus apps for everyone.

But that $24 per person, so $100 a day for a family of 4. SO you have to decide if that $100 is worth signature upgrade plus apps for everyone.

yes, all depends on the makeup of your party as well as your preferences.

If you have younger children... prefer character buffets that tend to be 1 credit.... Then not worth the extra $100 per day, for example.

We've done a number of DxDP trips. We did TS breakfast or TS lunch (1 credit) + a Signature dinner (2 credits) daily. If the daily TS breakfast or lunch and the Signature dinner is how you plan your trip, DxDP usually works.

Also, demographics come to play. When our two kids were under 10 and when we took our "adults-only" trip, the DxDP math made a lot of sense. Most recently, with two Disney juniors (including a vegetarian), the Disney math of $476 per night for 2 adults and 2 Disney juniors has not quite made sense, even with a fair amount of TS and Signature dining. So, we have skipped this the last few trips. It's important to do the math for each trip.

We've done a number of DxDP trips. We did TS breakfast or TS lunch (1 credit) + a Signature dinner (2 credits) daily. If the daily TS breakfast or lunch and the Signature dinner is how you plan your trip, DxDP usually works.

Also, demographics come to play. When our two kids were under 10 and when we took our "adults-only" trip, the DxDP math made a lot of sense. Most recently, with two Disney juniors (including a vegetarian), the Disney math of $476 per night for 2 adults and 2 Disney juniors has not quite made sense, even with a fair amount of TS and Signature dining. So, we have skipped this the last few trips. It's important to do the math for each trip.

The dining plans rarely make sense for "juniors" -- especially younger juniors, closer to 10. Even older juniors obviously aren't going to get alcohol. And younger juniors often would rather have a kid's meal. In addition, the dining plans don't make much sense for vegetarians. The average vegetarian entree is much cheaper than the rest of the menu.
Example, we are doing Tiffins and Flying Fish on our next trip. My daughter is a 13-year-old vegetarian. So no alcohol. There are 2 vegetarian entrees -- both $30. The rest of the menu is $38+. On any of the dining plans, it would be hard to justify 2 credits for a $30 entree. Same at Flying Fish, only 1 vegetarian entree and it's $33. Going to do a 1 credit meal at Spice Road -- vegetarian entree is $23, with most of the rest of the menu close to $30. Might do Chefs De France -- vegetarian dishes are $20. So a vegetarian non-drinker is never going to do well on a dining plan apart from character buffets.

We are getting free dining, so I'm fine losing money on credits. But I wouldn't even consider paying for the dining plan with my kids as things currently stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter